PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Not Feeding Properly

tecstar1
11-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi All, my 10/22 is not feeding correctly from the magazine (3 rotary magazines of which two are brand new). After each shot, the next round is pushed too high hitting the barrel and cutting into the copper jacket and locking the slide. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks,
Ron

sevensix2x51
11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
what type of ammunition are you using?

Seesm
11-15-2009, 11:23 AM
How many rounds have been put through since a good cleaning?

Have you ever shot other rounds through it that fed better?

Also have you cleaned the std mags ever?

More info would help us help you.

matt1840
11-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi All, my 10/22 is not feeding correctly from the magazine (3 rotary magazines of which two are brand new). After each shot, the next round is pushed too high hitting the barrel and cutting into the copper jacket and locking the slide. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks,
Ron

mine was having this same problem with federal and remington rounds.. It had been atleast 1000 shots since a good cleaning. I totally disassembled my 10/22 did a full cleaning and reassembled.. Needless to say it shoots like a charm now. Do yourself a favor and clean the mags to. Fully detailed videos on how to do both can be found on youtube, and a simple cleaning kit can be had at Big 5 for around $20.

Very simple to do.

mycrstuff
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
You need to take the bolt completely apart. Crud gets in there and keeps the firing pin from moving. The firing pin will then stick forward and push up each new round at a 45 degree angle.

I take my bolt apart every time I use my rifle. I use grease instead of oil as the oil seems to attract dirt and grime. With the grease the powder fouling doesn't get past the first layer of grease and stays out of the firng pin groove.

tecstar1
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
The 10/22 is 15 years old and has probably 1000 rounds through it. I went through the gun completely, a thorough cleaning top to bottom. I have cleaned all of the magazines.

I went and looked at the ammunition I was shooting, I knew it was CCI. Looked closely at it and it was "LONG", not "LONG RIFLE".

Geez, went and loaded up a couple mags of long rifle and pop pop, pop... No issue. Don't know when I had ever purchased the CCI LONG as I don't have anything to shoot it with. One thing for sure, the 10/22 won't cycle on LONGS. Sorry for the false alarm, but that showed me I better look closer at the ammunition you are going to shoot.

Thanks guys.

Ron