PDA

View Full Version : SBR

916Plinker
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Why do I keep reading that MG,AOW,C&R and SBR's are legal in California with proper docs and reg through ATF? While Silencers and Pen guns are a definate NO.

I know it is impossible for californian civilians on most of them(like MG) but can u reg, a sbr in california via ATF.

wilit
11-15-2009, 10:11 AM
It's getting proper permit from the CA DOJ, which is near impossible.

Quiet
11-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Federally, in CA...
AOW (except pen guns), MG, SBR and SBS are legal.

However, under CA laws...
ownership/possession of a MG, SBR and SBS require a Dangerous Weapons Permit.

Without an approved Dangerous Weapons Permit, BATFE will not approve a Form 1 or Form 4 for a MG, SBR or SBS.

Getting a Dangerous Weapons Permit is next to impossible, unless you work in the movie/tv industry as a prop master.

AOW, C&R SBR and C&R SBS do not require a Dangerous Weapons Permit, so BATFE will approve a Form 1 or Form 4 for one of those.

That said...
AOW, C&R SBR and C&R SBS are not exempt from the CA assault weapons laws, so they need to be configured to comply with those laws.

wildhawker
11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Please use Oaklander's custom search tool for many educational threads discussing SBR/SBSs, CA DOJ and issuance of dangerous weapon permits.

916Plinker
11-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Ok, so fed wise it can be done, lovely california took it a step further(suprise) and basicly put a stop to it via dangerous weapons permit. Get it now. I figured there was a legal catch as I dont see any sbr's in Cali, nor hear about paperwork being done. Was 90% sure it couldnt be done here, but wanted the skinny on it.
Thanx!!

timdps
11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Here is the DOJ pdf file:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CAoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ag.ca.gov%2Ffirearms%2Fforms% 2Fpdf%2FFD030DWApp.pdf&ei=ZGMAS5KDJ5T8tQPek9yHCw&usg=AFQjCNEHgENeLkOfJMP_JbIko3sl17MY8Q

yellowfin
11-15-2009, 1:04 PM
Dangerous weapons permits may be challenged post incorporation.

vandal
11-15-2009, 1:17 PM
You can go the C&R route to SBR/SBS.

C&R SBS is no big deal. It is hard to get a C&R SBR that's worth the effort with all the AW laws. Lever-action C&R SBR is about it, but your mag capacity is pitiful.

B Strong
11-15-2009, 1:22 PM
Why do I keep reading that MG,AOW,C&R and SBR's are legal in California with proper docs and reg through ATF? While Silencers and Pen guns are a definate NO.

I know it is impossible for californian civilians on most of them(like MG) but can u reg, a sbr in california via ATF.

As a point of interest, when the feds ran the amnesty registration for NFA weapons and devices in 1968, there were individuals here in California that did not have state permits for their goodies, but registered their stuff.

Because the registrations are considered tax records, the information can not be disseminated to the state...

So the situation stands where an individual in possession may be in violation of state law, but not federal law.