PDA

View Full Version : anyone have problems flying Southwest from San Jose w/guns???

bwiese
07-11-2005, 6:08 PM
In several weeks, I'll be travelling to eastern Oregon - flying up to Boise. Will fly out of San Jose, CA.

It's a mini vacation so naturally, I'll be taking some guns - at least an AR and a revolver or two. I've been thru this for the past 5-6 years with Alaska Air - out of SFO and SJ - with no problems (other than occasional longwinded explanations of CA vs Fed gun law to counter agents). Alaska's pretty gun friendly given their northwest US route focus and that they carry lotsa hunters/sportsmen.

But this time I might be flying Southwest instead of Alaska Air. Anyone had any good/bad gun travel experiences out of SJ with Southwest?

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bg
07-12-2005, 5:02 PM
Couldn't find any exp. Found these two deals.
Don't know if it will help any..
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/guns.html
http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelasfieldguides/F...GunsTheRightWay.html (http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelasfieldguides/FirearmsSafety/TansportingGunsTheRightWay.html)

In contacting numerous airlines requesting information regarding air travel with guns,only American Airlines did not respond to our query, United, Southwest, Delta, and Continental spokespersons all responded that regulations for traveling with a firearm haven't changed since September 11, and recommended checking with the airline you intend to use for possible changes in regulations before booking a flight

stillbigmac
07-12-2005, 5:33 PM
Bill, I have a relative who is a ticket agent (I guess thats what her title is) for SouthWest. After a customer told me they refused his guns.. I asked her and she said they get them al the time. I would just call them up to be sure, but it shouldn't be a problem.

50 Freak
07-12-2005, 8:21 PM
Yeah, and definitely print out that SW rules/regulation page along with the TSA rules/regulation page to bring along.

You may also want to print out the FAA rules/regulation page and the ATF/DOJ and the Dept or Homeland Security rules/regulation page. Make sure to get there at least 12 hours before your flight as you'll need that much time to try to explain yourself out of a body cavity search.

Good luck buddy. Let us know what happens. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bwiese
07-13-2005, 9:43 AM
Haha, don't think there'll be huge problems.

Just one AR broken down, mags, and several single action Rugers in a Pelican case.

The TSA/FAA have lotsa rules they don't follow. I just kinda go with the flow. I do print out the various webpages just in case.

I've had no trouble with Alaska out of SJ or SFO. (And when I've arrived in Boise, I usu see SEVERAL folks with gun cases walking out of baggage claim area. It's free country up there.)

I always DO carry my Calif. AW reg paperwork jus if there's any last minute "is this gun legal?" question...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

PressCheck
07-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Should have no problem at all.

stodgman
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I have flown several times on SouthWest with multiple guns. I have never had any problem. You need a locked case and put your ammo in your other checked luggage.

My only issue with SouthWest was knowing for certain WHERE my gun case would come out. It mostly came out hand carried to the luggage counter but also came sliding out the "oversized luggage" (ski's, golfbags, etc) shute.

bwiese
07-13-2005, 1:01 PM
Stodgman...

Yes, I know about locked, unloaded, etc. The AR will be broken down and Ruger revolvers will have cylinders removed.

Yes, when you get off the plane, don't pee, have a Coke, chat, etc. - get straight to baggage claim carousel. Oftentimes - no matter if you request 'hold at luggage office for claim with ID' - it'll still get into carousel. You don't want $2000 worth of guns circling around waiting for Colombian luggage thieves...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Mike
07-13-2005, 1:20 PM
Bill,
I urge you to call Southwest and ask about the amount of firearms you can take with you. I flew out from Orlando to LAX and was limited to 4 handguns per locked case via American Airlines. One case=1 checked piece of baggage. Unless you plan on using your checked baggage allowances for transporting firearms, see just how much the allotment is--and how much for extra baggage-I know that they have changed somewhat recently for some airlines.

bwiese
07-13-2005, 2:12 PM
Mkie...

Originally posted by mike:
...call Southwest and ask about the amount of firearms you can take with you. I flew out from Orlando to LAX and was limited to 4 handguns per locked case via American Airlines. One case=1 checked piece of baggage. Unless you plan on using your checked baggage allowances for transporting firearms, see just how much the allotment is--and how much for extra baggage-I know that they have changed somewhat recently for some airlines.

Noted; I'll prob be bringing one broken-down AR and 3 SA revolvers.

I don't care too much about baggage allotment,
I'm only travelling with one checked hanging suitcase anyway beside gun case (and one carry-on briefcase).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Nylo
07-22-2005, 9:35 AM
I have flown many times (SFO & SJC) with SWA and have never had problems with firearms or employees.

Tip: Smile, be nice, polite, and ask for their assistance. If something goes wrong don’t start yelling and waving the flag. I will guarantee you will loose. I have actually seen this happen twice. I don’t care what print out you have from their web site. They have the final say. If you treat the whole process as a privilege you will do just fine.

BTW: Use a locking system that does not require a key to lock. For some reason at SJC they will have to take your firearm, unlocked, down to the scanner and will not bring it back to you to use your key to lock it. Once I had an SWA employee ask for the key so they could lock it at the scanner. This is a violation of TSA’s rules. Only YOU are allowed to keep/hold the keys. Luckily it was just a padlock and could be secured with out a key.

SWA Firearms Transport Rules (http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/guns.html)

-hanko
07-22-2005, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
In several weeks, I'll be travelling to eastern Oregon - flying up to Boise. Will fly out of San Jose, CA.
Bill Wiese
San Jose
Need some places to shoot/eat around BOI??

-hanko

gloxter
07-22-2005, 1:50 PM
-hanko:

I'll be going up to ID this October. Can you recommend any dining establishments? We'll go through Boise, but not sure if to McCall or Salmon after that (mini vacation).-gloxter

bwiese
07-22-2005, 2:01 PM
Hanko...

Need some places to shoot/eat around BOI??

No, renting a car upon landing and heading 150mi NW to La Grande, OR.

Shooting at my cousin's ranch. One of the better places to eat there, actually, is the Flying J truck stop - family goes out there frequently. Not fancy but solid good food.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

-hanko
07-22-2005, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by gloxter:
-hanko:

I'll be going up to ID this October. Can you recommend any dining establishments? We'll go through Boise, but not sure if to McCall or Salmon after that (mini vacation).-gloxter
Good seafood at McGrath's near the Edwards Cinema complex. Best Italian is at Gino's on 8th street, BUT NOT what you're used to in SF...no Italian (or most any other) ethnic enclave here.

Great Thai at Pad Thai on the corner of Five Mile Road & Overland Road. Ordering oriental food anywhere else is a total crapshoot & not recommended.

Outstanding Basque stuff at Epi's in Meridian.

Best Mexican food for MILES around is el Gallo Giro on Main Street (at the only stop sign) in Kuna...that's coming from some one who's spend 15 years in El Paso, San Antonio, and Fort Worth. Reviews might be online at the Idaho Statesman website.

Best/only authentic BBQ at Crossroads BBQ in Eagle.

You'll find McCall pretty yuppie/$$, Salmon very much the opposite. Johnny's Cafe in Salmon is where the smoke jumpers eat; outstanding food & a great breakfast. Based on scenery-on-the-way, Salmon is a much better destination. McCall's your place for resort atmosphere, though not as spendy as Sun Valley or Haley or Jackson Hole.

If you need more, let me know your email address by pm & we'll move this there.

-hanko

imported_Matt-man
07-22-2005, 11:34 PM
I've flown several times on SWA with checked firearms. No problems; as a matter of fact I was impressed with the competence and professional manner of SWA employees in those instances.

As mentioned above, it's a good idea to call and get the latest policies on traveling with firearms, just to be on the safe side.