PDA

View Full Version : Alt Doc vs. POR

halifax
11-15-2009, 5:10 AM
Not a regular occurence, but it's not the first time this has happened.

While gathering the required information for the 4473/DROS on a long gun transfer, the buyer presents a CDL with a P.O. Box number on it. I inform the transferee that I will need an acceptable document to prove his residency and his immediate response is "I don't need Proof of Residency for a long gun". Buyer gets all defensive and thinks I don't know what I'm doing.

I respond with "True, but you do need to provide Alternate Documentation to establish your physical address." That response usually generates a "deer-in-the-headlights" look and, more importantly, compliance without any further attitude.

I will no longer use the words "proof" and "residency" when I'm referring to the federal Alternate Documentation. Simple change. I'll see how it works.

freakshow10mm
11-15-2009, 6:40 AM
You can put a PO box on a driver's license in CA? In MI it must be a physical street address.

halifax
11-15-2009, 6:46 AM
You can put a PO box on a driver's license in CA? In MI it must be a physical street address.

Yep.

OCArmory
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I have had the same response. I just show them the box on the 4473 that says alternate documentation if the id does not have current address or something to that effect.
Mike