PDA

View Full Version : NFA questions

OCArmory
11-14-2009, 4:45 PM
So afetr getting denied for my SBS project, the desire is still there for an NFA item. I remember reading that an 01 could do a couple of NFA transfers without paying an SOT. Just as long as you weren't trying to avoid the SOT tax. I have been looking through all my books and can't find where I saw it. Basically I would like to get a Serbu shortie transfered to the shop. Just throwing it out there. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help
Mike

Quiet
11-15-2009, 6:51 AM
FYI...
The Serbu Super Shorty is an AOW, not a SBS.

AOWs are CA legal.
Trouble is finding a Class II or III SOT in CA, willing to transfer one.
Send a PM to ke6guj (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=5064), he was looking into getting one as well and he legally owns 2 AOWs and 2 C&R SBS in CA.

ke6guj
11-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Mike, AFAIK, it is legal for you, as an 01FFL, to receive an AOW directly from Serbu on a tax-paid Form 4. Since you aren't an SOT, you would not be able to receive it on a tax-exempt Form 3.

I've read of ATF allowing limited NFA transfers through a non-SOT FFL, but in your case you wouldn't be transfering through a non-SOT, but would be a non-SOT wanting to purchase direct. Based on threads I've read on other forums, I think you may be even able to transfer out a limited number of AOWs without having the SOT. I'm gonna try to talk to ATF about that at SHOT.

I'd suggest contacting Serbu and asking them about it. I'd bet that this scenario has come up before with a non-SOT FFL wanting to purchase an AOW direct from them, for that FFL's "personal use", without having to use a SOT.

OCArmory
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I know it is not a SBS. I tried the 50 year old 870 route and was denied because I didn't have a dangerous weapons permit. I will give serbu a call.