PDA

View Full Version : Need some AW training...

HskrVern
11-14-2009, 2:33 PM
I am looking at the newer bushmaster chambered in .450, I am wading through the cal laws and can't determine if its legal or not. Help would be appreciated!

Librarian
11-14-2009, 2:41 PM
We'd need to see EXACTLY which model you're considering.

Check with the CA AW ID flowchart - link is at the top of the page, in the bar below "The California Firearms Enthusiast's Home On The Internet".

Caliber is only an issue for .50 BMG.

Window_Seat
11-14-2009, 2:43 PM
Good q. Here is a Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf) to refer to, and it has great information. Also, have a look at This Thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186405). And before I forget, Welcome Aboard!

Erik.

HskrVern
11-14-2009, 3:07 PM

Check with the CA AW ID flowchart - link is at the top of the page, in the bar below "The California Firearms Enthusiast's Home On The Internet".

Bushmaster : Product ID: 71171 : MFG# BCWVMS20-45: Bushmaster, .450 Gas Operated Carbine, .450 Caliber, Semi-Automatic, Gas Operated, A2 Stock, 20 inch Barrel, 5 round Magazine, Black, BCWVMS2045

I think its a no go because of the stock grip. May have to buy it in my home state and do a military xfer in...

bwiese
11-14-2009, 3:08 PM
I am looking at the newer bushmaster chambered in .450, I am wading through the cal laws and can't determine if its legal or not. Help would be appreciated!

There's a fairly good chance the Bushmaster 450 has "Bushmaster XM15" markings on the side panel of the lower receiver - making it banned-by-name.

There is a remote chance one could be built on the off-list Carbon 15 receiver but I doubt it.

I'd suggest you investigate the alternative: get an OLL receiver (Stag, LMT, etc.), stuff it with parts, install a BulletButton +10r mag, or MonsterMan grip+ no evil features, and put a 450 Bushmaster upper on it.

HskrVern
11-14-2009, 3:14 PM
There's a fairly good chance the Bushmaster 450 has "Bushmaster XM15" markings on the side panel of the lower receiver - making it banned-by-name.

There is a remote chance one could be built on the off-list Carbon 15 receiver but I doubt it.

I'd suggest you investigate the alternative: get an OLL receiver (Stag, LMT, etc.), stuff it with parts, install a BulletButton +10r mag, or MonsterMan grip+ no evil features, and put a 450 Bushmaster upper on it.

How difficult would that be? Is it pretty much "plug 'n play" or is gunsmithing/expierance required?

locosway
11-14-2009, 3:32 PM

Isn't there a federal restriction on calibers over .50 caliber on some rifles?

Librarian
11-14-2009, 4:36 PM
Isn't there a federal restriction on calibers over .50 caliber on some rifles?

Yes - I think .60 caliber becomes a 'destructive device', but I was thinking about what CA regulates, since that was the context of the question.

bwiese
11-14-2009, 6:14 PM
How difficult would that be? Is it pretty much "plug 'n play" or is gunsmithing/expierance required?

Tons of people here have built their own ARs from parts, and most folks buy preassembled uppers anyway.

I built an AR in 1999 while in bed watching Jay Leno. (I was single then.)

The only major issue was the cat kept wanting to get in the small parts, and if you get MolySlide (molybdenum disulfide) lube on your comforter, it won't wash out.

383green
11-14-2009, 7:51 PM
Welcome to my signature, Bill! ;)

Purple K
11-14-2009, 7:59 PM
Bushmaster sells two versions of the .450 upper half, 16" and 20". Just build an Off-list lower and use the Bushmaster upper.

Purple K
11-14-2009, 8:01 PM

It's so easy even a Caveman could do it. :)

unusedusername
11-14-2009, 8:25 PM
If you are truly lazy (like I am) most places that sell stripped lowers will at some extra charge put all the little fire control group parts into it for you...

Putting the upper on the lower is easier then LEGOS. :)