PDA

View Full Version : WTK-WOULD a SEMI AUTO PPSH,MP34,MP28,etc type carbine be an AW due to barrel shroud??

DisgruntledReaper
11-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, hopefully a quick question..

I have some lines on a SEMI AUTO CLOSED BOLT 16" BARRELED PPSH41,MP34,MP28 type SMG/carbine, all are legally built,etc and I would like to get one and I Obviously have the AW characteristics sheet BUT>>>

When you get to the 'barrel shroud' issue, basically all of the forementioned firearms have a 'shroud' or 'jacket' around the barrels,some for use as front hand guards and most as part of the method in which the barrels are retained or supported in the receiver s since the shrouds/trunnions/receivers are basically 1 piece.

Basically I would like opinions on whether they would be 'featureless' and could use hicaps or 10 rd mags or if they would need to have bullet buttons made for them(I really hate that *&$%^%&^$ AW law-repeal that garbage) since they have a shroud/jacket.
Due to their design they are a bit hard to grip unles your hand actually touches the jacket/shroud at some point and for some shooting positions.

So what say ye? Want to know so i can figure out what my next step is.

thank you..

69Mach1
11-13-2009, 10:39 PM
No. Barrel shrouds are exclusively for AW pistols.

DisgruntledReaper
11-13-2009, 10:54 PM
THANK YOU Mach1! I always had an issue on this because used to be if you PUT a shroud on a Mini14 barrel then it is a NONO..

Well that is one in my favor! yes!!

bwiese
11-13-2009, 11:27 PM
DisgruntledReaper,

You're asking enough newb questions that I'd caution you to move carefully before acting. A lot of this is (like bbl shrouds) is on the flowchart.

wash
11-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I can't think of any law that would prohibit a barrel shroud on a Mini14, maybe the shrouds had a bayonet lug that violated the old federal AWB?

The Director
11-14-2009, 12:17 AM
It's the thing that goes up!

B Strong
11-14-2009, 7:47 AM
A shroud is a AW pistol issue, not a rifle issue.

Cali-Shooter
11-14-2009, 8:13 AM
It's the shoulder thing that goes up!
FYP for ya.
Senator Carolyn McCarthy for the uber lose.

JDoe
11-14-2009, 8:40 AM
FYP for ya.

ospNRk2uM3U

The Director
11-14-2009, 8:57 AM
FYP for ya.

Thanks man, I knew I was close.

ETA: After watching that video and laughing yet again, all I have to say is that she is both ugly AND stupid.

Fate
11-14-2009, 9:04 AM
PPSh-41 semi-autos are featureless.

(Edit: Realized after I posted you were talking about the German MP28 but this still holds true in case you are interested):
The DP28 has a flash hider that must be unscrewed before using detachable magazines with it. Otherwise, it too is featureless.

yellowfin
11-14-2009, 9:17 AM
Good thing about PPSH is the ammo is so wonderfully cheap.

6172crew
11-14-2009, 9:25 AM
The factory PPSH barrel is less than 16 inches, you would need to use an aftermarket barrel. Most WW2 subguns have barrels shorter than 16 so it would have to modified as a rifle or made into a pistol somehow.

Be careful when trying to make one a CA legal firearm.

I have access to a Suomi Stemple BRP deal and it comes with 2 barrels. Of course these cant be brought into CA because they are NFA.

The PPSH I have access to is also NFA so it isnt allowed here but they did make a Semi-auto version that was pretty cool. The round is a lazer beam out to 400 yards.:43:

Cali-Shooter
11-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks man, I knew I was close.

ETA: After watching that video and laughing yet again, all I have to say is that she is both ugly AND stupid.

100% agree with you.
Yessiree, hilarious how McCarthy got roasted by that interviewer.

To the OP, I think the two most concerning things regarding a semi-auto PPSH, MP34, MP28, or other subgun would be:

1. The overall length of the firearm. In order to avoid the "evil" assault weapon status, the gun must be 30 inches or longer.
2. Barrel Shroud on long guns is NOT a problem.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding PC section 12276, assault weapon shall also
mean the following: Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine CCR 11 5469 (a) and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip CCR 11 5469 (d)
(B) A thumbhole stock. CCR 11 5469 (e)
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor. CCR 11 5469 (b)
(F) A forward pistol grip. CCR 11 5469 (c)
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

DisgruntledReaper
11-15-2009, 1:44 AM
Well thank's, guess I was confused with the Pistol version of the AW chart...

Obviously I would need to be sure the barrel is like 16.5 to be safe..any nimrod with a tape measure should be able to hold that tolerance.

RE the shroud on the Mini 14--yea..it was the old fed ban..since that ended I basically just deleted that file from my noodle ..but for some reason it cropped up in my mind since i have been thinking of these frearms.

I will say that I still feel my question is valid for the MP28,34,38,etc type of early SMG's because some, such as mp 34 DO have enough wood to get,they have a shroud and better to be safe and ask before i get one-IF- and then find out that some DA or other dufus DOinJ has a hard on for stuff like this.

So not a noob, just better to check and reconfirm to make sure I have not missed something..

thank's all...topic is DONE!