PDA

View Full Version : Parent to son transfer

slowjon
10-09-2005, 6:46 PM
Hi all. I have read several posts regarding a parent transfering handguns to a child. I have seen the form from DOJ. I know the handgun doesn't have to be on the approved list. My question is this. Can a parent still transfer a handgun not on the approved list this way if the parent lives out of state and the child is in cali? My dad, who lives in Arizona, is getting up there in age and wants to start thinning his collection. He has a bunch of hi powers, older S&W's, pythons, etc. that I would love to have. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Brian

Mssr. Eleganté
10-09-2005, 9:57 PM
It is against Federal law to transfer a firearm between two residents of different states without going through an FFL. One exception to this is if the transfer is made by bequest ( from a will ) or intestate succession ( from somebody who dies without a will ).

imported_lunde
10-10-2005, 5:29 AM
Your father simply sends a pistol, along with a gift letter (a letter that states that the enclosed firearm is a gift from him to you), to your dealer in California, and your dealer adds a note to the DROS form that it is a gift from your father, and treats this as exempt from two things: "thirty-day multiple purchase" and "certified for California sale" (I am not sure about the exact wording).

imported_EOD Guy
10-10-2005, 8:25 AM
Originally posted by lunde:
Your father simply sends a pistol, along with a gift letter (a letter that states that the enclosed firearm is a gift from him to you), to your dealer in California, and your dealer adds a note to the DROS form that it is a gift from your father, and treats this as exempt from two things: "thirty-day multiple purchase" and "certified for California sale" (I am not sure about the exact wording).

I would be sure and clear it with the receiving dealer first. If he won't accept the letter or check with DOJ, it will present problems.

slowjon
10-10-2005, 9:17 AM
I have a dealer that will handle this. Im still not real clear here. Do all the pistols have to be DROS'd like a regular purchase or can they be done on the parent to child form?

imported_lunde
10-10-2005, 9:35 AM
They are DROSed using the standard DROS form. You also fill out a 4473.