PDA

View Full Version : long gun registration ???

11-13-2009, 7:06 PM
Hello. I would like to know if Ar-15 with bullet button 10rd mag and all the features can be registered with the voluntary long rifle form ??
Is it a good idea to register the firearm incase it is stolen from your home.
I am not sure about the aw registration if it even possible to registure an aw

Thanks Brian

Shane916
11-13-2009, 7:10 PM
It's not an AW and can't be registered as one. The DROS is sufficient as there is no need to register the gun. Storing the serial number would be sufficient if the firearm was stolen. The ATF can do a trace on it and determine where it was sold and pull up the 4473 if this ever is needed.

Telperion
11-13-2009, 7:11 PM
Why do you want to do this? If and when your firearms are stolen, then you can report the details to the authorities. You should record the serial numbers along with photos for your own records.

ke6guj
11-13-2009, 7:15 PM
you can volreg it if you want to.

11-13-2009, 7:31 PM
I was concerned that if the firearm was stolen why I was out of town, and someone was stoped with the firearm when the number was run it would not match the person with the firearm. (overly protective I am I guess )

Brian

Cokebottle
11-13-2009, 8:18 PM
I was concerned that if the firearm was stolen why I was out of town, and someone was stoped with the firearm when the number was run it would not match the person with the firearm. (overly protective I am I guess )
California DOJ has no registered record of long guns.
The DROS information is supposedly deleted a few days after processing... all DOJ has is "Joe's guns sold a rifle".
The serial number is supposedly only stored in the gun shops files, so if someone were to be stopped and the SN checked, unless it were reported stolen, it would be assumed to be theirs unless it were a part of a cache of other weapons that included stolen weapons.

Handguns are a different story.

ke6guj
11-13-2009, 8:28 PM
California DOJ has no registered record of long guns.
The DROS information is supposedly deleted a few days after processing... all DOJ has is "Joe's guns sold a rifle".
The serial number is supposedly only stored in the gun shops files, so if someone were to be stopped and the SN checked, unless it were reported stolen, it would be assumed to be theirs unless it were a part of a cache of other weapons that included stolen weapons.

Handguns are a different story.

But if the OP did a volreg, CADOJ would have a registered record of that long gun. I'd assume at that point, if the serial number was run, it would come back registered to the OP, just like handguns do.

Cokebottle
11-13-2009, 8:32 PM
But if the OP did a volreg, CADOJ would have a registered record of that long gun. I'd assume at that point, if the serial number was run, it would come back registered to the OP, just like handguns do.
Probably... but when a long gun is reported stolen, would it be processed the same as a handgun though DOJ since most officer would assume that it is not registered, and is the database that would be searched for a stolen weapon connected to the registration database?

11-15-2009, 3:01 PM
If the AR was purchased in CA then I should be able to VOLREG it right? or could there be issues with DOJ

ke6guj
11-15-2009, 3:10 PM
Yes, as I mentioned above, you can volreg it it you want to.

How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer.
However, a volreg does not allow you to turn it into an AW. And I guess the possibility exists that CADOJ could decide to look at you based on the info contained on your volreg.

11-15-2009, 3:20 PM
What does that mean the CADOJ could decide to look at me. I have hand guns that are registered. I would think that other people have VOLREG there AR. or would I be the only person

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 3:28 PM
What does that mean the CADOJ could decide to look at me. I have hand guns that are registered. I would think that other people have VOLREG there AR. or would I be the only person
Probably one of very few.

Most gun owners would prefer and take steps to ensure that the government knows as little about them, their weapons, and their ammo as legally possible.
Many people will not even publicly admit to owning weapons and ammo on public forums. That is not security from civilian "bad guys"... it's security from the government should it turn to tyranny.
Quite a few Calgunners build AK and other pistols because they can be legally built for personal use with no paper.

Thousands of rifles are sold legally in this state every month and none of them are registered. Most people don't even know about volreg.

11-15-2009, 3:38 PM
I have been told you purchase items at Walmart with a credit card or atm card there is a record of your purchase. Walmart tracks what you purchase
so I think they know how much ammo you purchase

ke6guj
11-15-2009, 3:40 PM
What does that mean the CADOJ could decide to look at me. I have hand guns that are registered. I would think that other people have VOLREG there AR. or would I be the only personThere is nothing that would prohibit you from volreg'ing it if you wanted to.

However, you asked "or could there be issues with DOJ". YOu are telling them "point blank" that you have an AR-pattern firearm, and they still like to claim that BB's aren't legal. So, if they wanted to cause trouble, they have your info without having had to audit an FFL to see the bound book.

Would something like that happen, not likely, but the possibility does exist, and you asked "or could there be issues with DOJ ".

11-15-2009, 3:46 PM
I thought that the DOJ does checks on the local gun stores, I am sure they see CA AR's in the stores when they inspect. If they where concerned about the BB issues I would think they would do something to the owner of the store. for importing a banned firearm

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 3:46 PM
I have been told you purchase items at Walmart with a credit card or atm card there is a record of your purchase. Walmart tracks what you purchase
so I think they know how much ammo you purchase
Not what I pay cash for, and I rarely buy ammo with my debit card for this very reason.

But aside from that, "they" have no clue. Walmart tracks purchases, and your bank may even sell some of the data to marketing companies, but the DOJ doesn't have that kind of access, and they aren't going to filter through the millions of WM transactions every month for the few thousand ammo transactions.

That's what AB962 was all about.
No online/mail-order handgun ammo sales
No hangung ammo sales without a thumbprint
Seller must maintain sales and identification records for 20 years.

That is even more restrictive than current handgun laws, where we can purchase online/catalog as long as it is imported through an FFL.

Dr Rockso
11-15-2009, 4:48 PM
That is even more restrictive than current handgun laws, where we can purchase online/catalog as long as it is imported through an FFL.
The same sort of option is available to ammo purchasers under 962, except it requires purchases to go through a "handgun ammunition vendor" (a term that, as Gene pointed out a while back, is currently ill-defined).

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 5:09 PM
The same sort of option is available to ammo purchasers under 962, except it requires purchases to go through a "handgun ammunition vendor" (a term that, as Gene pointed out a while back, is currently ill-defined).
As well as the FFL or DROS fees (or whatever they call and allow to be charged for it, I say DROS because it literally is a dealer record of sale)
Availability would be the only reason to buy online.

Dr Rockso
11-15-2009, 5:12 PM
As well as the FFL or DROS fees (or whatever they call and allow to be charged for it, I say DROS because it literally is a dealer record of sale)
Availability would be the only reason to buy online.
True, but the current line of thinking is that anyone willing to take a thumbprint and keep the records for the requisite length of time could be considered a handgun ammunition vendor ("kitchen table" handgun ammo vendors). Lets hope that 962 gets schooled in federal court before it comes to that.

MossbergMan
11-15-2009, 5:36 PM
I'm confused here. Is this "AR" rifle you want to register on the banned list? If your receiver is on the banned or is an "on list lower" then no, you cannot register it now. You can apply for an AW permit from DoJ as discussed in earlier posts.

But a listed lowed cannot be "deactivated" by simply adding a BB mag catch. You'd have to eliminate the pistol grip,telescopic/folding stock and any flash hider (replace it with muzzle brake). And even then it may still be thin ice.
Without doing that it will would still be a semi-automatic center fire rifle without a detachable mag possessing any of the other two features that ID it as an evil AW in the PRK.

If it's an off list lower....never mind.

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 5:39 PM
If it's an off list lower....never mind.
Off list... he just wants to vol'reg in case of theft and recovery.

Vinz
11-15-2009, 7:39 PM
I think it would be better to list it with serial numbers on your home owners/renters issurance. Make them earn the money we give them.

Vinz

MudCamper
11-15-2009, 9:21 PM

And there is an advantage to this. If you encounter an uninformed LEO who does not understand the OLL issue, and mistakenly believes all ARs are AW, then when he asks you, "Is that registered?" You can answer, "Yes sir! It sure is!" And then if/when he runs it it will show up in the DB registered to you. Helpful confusion.

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 9:27 PM
And there is an advantage to this. If you encounter an uninformed LEO who does not understand the OLL issue, and mistakenly believes all ARs are AW, then when he asks you, "Is that registered?" You can answer, "Yes sir! It sure is!" And then if/when he runs it it will show up in the DB registered to you. Helpful confusion.
Only if it is transported in a locked container.

If he thinks it's an AW, you say it's registered, then he immediately thinks it's a RAW, subject to transport in a locked container.

NiteQwill
11-15-2009, 9:30 PM

I've always wondered if someone has tested (involuntarily, of course) this theory.

Crazed_SS
11-16-2009, 4:52 AM

I was contemplating volreg'ing some stuff awhile back for this exact purpose. I've read several posts on here where clueless LEOs run S/Ns for long guns and when nothing comes back, they take the gun because they cant determine ownership or some BS like that.

For these clueless LEOs, running the S/N on something like a M1A or Remington 870 and seeing it come back with your info might be enough for them to say, "OK.. well everything looks kosher here"

11-16-2009, 3:41 PM
My son shoots trap and where we shoot we drive past a school ( on the highway) so too be safe we lock the guns!

leitung
11-16-2009, 4:21 PM
I always lock my guns when in transport anyway for security reasons.

I vol reg'd a ruger 10/22 that had a bunch of engraving of the previous owner on it to prevent any potential issues during a traffic stop..