PDA

View Full Version : Good Cause letter for High Cap Magazine sales

rbetts
11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I just tried to renew my CFD and large Cap permit. The DOJ sent it back asking for a good cause letter stating that a large cap magazine marketplace exists for me and that it won't endanger public safety.

I buy large and convert to 10/20 amd 10/30 with an occasional LEO sale and Internet out of state stuff. Any suggestions on my wording for my good cause letter??

TripleT
11-13-2009, 7:34 AM
Rob,

I got the same request for a good cause letter for renewal. Didn't have to have one for initial application so, something has changed. I was going to state sales to LE as my cause and leave it at that.

Comments ?

Santa Cruz Armory
11-13-2009, 8:36 AM
Do you have to have your FFL01 or FFL07 to get a high cap mag sales permit? I have my 03 and my COE and I'm always looking for a small business venture...

geeknow
11-13-2009, 8:45 AM
Do you have to have your FFL01 or FFL07 to get a high cap mag sales permit? I have my 03 and my COE and I'm always looking for a small business venture...

yes, because your 03+coe makes you a collector, not a business...if you read the fine print in your 03 info somewhere it states that you specifically cannot engage in the 'business' with your license...that isnt to say that a 'small business venture' is out of the question, you would need to change your ffl to a business one, as opposed to a collectors.

i think that the only possible exception for an 03 to get a hi cap mag permit would be if said 03 was a curator of a bona fide museum or something along those lines.

also, and not to put a damper on your idea, but if you try and get your 01/07, or any other 'business' ffl, you will need an actual storefront, business license, insurance, zoning compliance, etc...AFAIK, there are no cities/municipalities left in CA that issue 'kitchen table' ffl's...

geeknow
11-13-2009, 8:50 AM
I just tried to renew my CFD and large Cap permit. The DOJ sent it back asking for a good cause letter stating that a large cap magazine marketplace exists for me and that it won't endanger public safety.

I buy large and convert to 10/20 amd 10/30 with an occasional LEO sale and Internet out of state stuff. Any suggestions on my wording for my good cause letter??

well, since you stated that you DO, in fact sell large-cap mags to LEO...a statement to this effect would be both truthful, and a satisfactory response to their inquiry.

I would word it like this...

Dear DOJ-personage...

In response to your recent request, I am renewing my Large-Cap mag sales permit in order that I might continue sales of Large-Cap Magazines to qualified Law Enforcement personell.

Regards,

rbetts

...or something like that...

CHS
11-13-2009, 5:43 PM
AFAIK, there are no cities/municipalities left in CA that issue 'kitchen table' ffl's...

There are quite a few in Huntington Beach. I know of at least two that have gotten their licenses in just the past year.

CSACANNONEER
11-13-2009, 5:48 PM
also, and not to put a damper on your idea, but if you try and get your 01/07, or any other 'business' ffl, you will need an actual storefront, business license, insurance, zoning compliance, etc...AFAIK, there are no cities/municipalities left in CA that issue 'kitchen table' ffl's...

Wrong! I know a few NEW kitchen table FFLs in Ventura County and within different city limits.

Capt. Speirs
11-14-2009, 12:55 AM
There are quite a few in Huntington Beach. I know of at least two that have gotten their licenses in just the past year.

Got my "kitchen table" FFL this year in Orange County.

CABilly
11-14-2009, 1:22 AM
Would a website count as a storefront?

CHS
11-14-2009, 7:30 AM
Would a website count as a storefront?

No.

tenpercentfirearms
11-14-2009, 7:46 AM
Your good cause is you sell magazines to law enforcement. It should be that easy. I would not list 10/20 mag sales as a reason.

It isn't like it matters much what you say. They are just reading what your real reason is right here.

ZirconJohn
11-17-2009, 1:10 PM
well, since you stated that you DO, in fact sell large-cap mags to LEO...a statement to this effect would be both truthful, and a satisfactory response to their inquiry.

Dear DOJ-personage...

In response to your recent request, I am renewing my Large-Cap mag sales permit in order that I might continue sales of Large-Cap Magazines to qualified Law Enforcement personell.

Regards,

rbetts

Your good cause is you sell magazines to law enforcement. It should be that easy. I would not list 10/20 mag sales as a reason.

It isn't like it matters much what you say. They are just reading what your real reason is right here.

Exactly... I called DOJ and talked to a very humorous lady on the line. She laughed and said; "nawwwww... just a quick one liner; Law Enforcement etc, don't write a full page... we just need something on file, write it, sign it and mail it with renewal... that's all."

Boy was I happy to hear this, thought I would have to go see a Chief of Police, or Sheriff... eezus... they have enough to do.

Well, gonna go write my snappy one liner to the DOJ on their 'Good Cause for Issuance of Permit' 11 CCR 5480 (b) - Hahhhahaaaaa... hilarious...!

bohoki
11-17-2009, 4:58 PM

Dear DOJ-personage...

Regards,

rbetts

hmm where does it say that you cannot sell to anybody who wants to buy one once you have the permit?

rbetts
11-17-2009, 6:37 PM
I ended up using 3 sentences that stated LEO and out of state sales. I even added a High Cap mag sales link on my website to cover it. I'll let you know if the renewal has any problems. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

TripleT
11-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I guess my cause was good enough. Got my renewed permit today.

rbetts
11-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Sent my statement in and received a new permit lickety split and renewal too. Guess the state needs my sales tax dinero!!. Thanks for all the help!!

freakshow10mm
11-21-2009, 6:45 PM
Was wondering how this ended. Good news.

JaMail
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Got my "kitchen table" FFL this year in Orange County.

makes me want to move to orange county