PDA

View Full Version : Phone call from the NRA today

Barbarossa
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Hello,

Anyone else get a phone call today from the NRA? Something regarding a UN treaty being drafted to ban all guns. :confused:

:TFH:

caoboy
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Did it come from a 555-555-5555 number?

oaklander
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
You might want to check this site out:

http://www.iansa.org/

caoboy
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM

WOMEN.

Thankfully, SOME are on calguns.

mtptwo
11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

The NRA blowing something the UN does out of proportion? Who'd a thunk it?

Barbarossa
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Did it come from a 555-555-5555 number?

Came through my work switchboard, no idea of the number.

dwtt
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
The NRA blowing something the UN does out of proportion? Who'd a thunk it?

That web site http://www.iansa.org/ isn't run by the NRA. It's obvious you didn't bother to see what it is. Come back after taking a look at the site.

Quser.619
11-11-2009, 1:57 PM

That's just scary

mtptwo
11-11-2009, 2:41 PM
That web site http://www.iansa.org/ isn't run by the NRA. It's obvious you didn't bother to see what it is. Come back after taking a look at the site.

Oh I know. But one country stops shipping arms internationally, the NRA then starts claiming that the UN is going to ban all guns. It's sensationalism/dishonesty on part of the NRA.

H Paul Payne
11-11-2009, 3:17 PM
Oh I know. But one country stops shipping arms internationally, the NRA then starts claiming that the UN is going to ban all guns. It's sensationalism/dishonesty on part of the NRA.

You mean like this??? UNITED NATIONS OFFICE OF DISARMAMENT AFFAIRS (http://www.un.org/disarmament/)

BTW, the UN is going trying to ban all guns. And they have been trying for quite some time.

If you are attempting to use this issue to attack the NRA (for your own reasons, whatever they might be), your efforts have proved quite impotent.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/United-nations-peace-sculpture.jpg/350px-United-nations-peace-sculpture.jpg

Paul

bwiese
11-11-2009, 3:17 PM

Among many other things, there are real risks that treaties signed could affect import of firearms, replacement parts, and ammo. The IANSA wants to ban all domestic firearms ownership and they've had quite a bit of traction in Europe and Australia.

A full-service firearms organazation worries about all threats.

secretasianman
11-11-2009, 3:37 PM
I got a call about that too. Told them to send it to me vla snail mail. I don't give credit card or personal info out to people calling me.

Shotgun Man
11-11-2009, 5:11 PM
WOMEN.

Thankfully, SOME are on calguns.

huh?

Chuck0matic
11-11-2009, 5:16 PM
So the call was from the NRA or someone posing as the NRA?

JBBenson
11-11-2009, 6:05 PM
From the IANSA site:

"A Belgian court has stopped a shipment of guns and other weapons from being exported to Libya, because of human rights concerns."

"The Libyan government had said the arms would be used to protect human lives, especially in securing the land routes used by humanitarian aid agencies.."

"However, humanitarian aid groups say food and other supplies for Chad are normally transported by air to the Libyan border with Chad, and that the subsequent land travel to Chad within Libya is safe."

Setting aside the issue of whether or not the Libyan government is full of it, or if the Belgians should sell their weapons to Libya, does anybody really believe that the land route from the Libyan border to camps in Chad are safe enough to not require being armed?

Who are these IANSA people?

mtptwo
11-12-2009, 8:46 AM
From the IANSA site:

"A Belgian court has stopped a shipment of guns and other weapons from being exported to Libya, because of human rights concerns."

"The Libyan government had said the arms would be used to protect human lives, especially in securing the land routes used by humanitarian aid agencies.."

"However, humanitarian aid groups say food and other supplies for Chad are normally transported by air to the Libyan border with Chad, and that the subsequent land travel to Chad within Libya is safe."

Setting aside the issue of whether or not the Libyan government is full of it, or if the Belgians should sell their weapons to Libya, does anybody really believe that the land route from the Libyan border to camps in Chad are safe enough to not require being armed?

Who are these IANSA people?

You see, if no one in Libya or Chad had guns, you wouldn't need guns to cross the border into Chad ;)

mtptwo
11-12-2009, 8:56 AM
If you are attempting to use this issue to attack the NRA (for your own reasons, whatever they might be), your efforts have proved quite impotent.

Heaven knows there are many issues with the NRA, after all, I am a member, and if they let me in, you know they have issues. And yes, I know that there are certain organizations that wish to limit arms to military structures. But the NRA claiming that the UN is going to come and take your guns is nothing more than a boogieman strategy to get people to open their wallets.

The NRA is nothing but sensationalist when it comes to soliciting you for your money. Their letters are laughable. Even if their message contains a grain of truth, the perception that their message gives is nothing but "loony gun owners".

It would be really nice to see some professionalism from the NRA when it comes to their communications instead of their constant fear mongering.

7x57
11-12-2009, 9:34 AM
A full-service firearms organazation worries about all threats.

Indeed. And the people who complain that national NRA is watching the top-level threats that require a national response probably are the same ones who complain that "the NRA has given up on California" and otherwise want it to do things that the state affiliate is supposed to handle.

And as far as the fundraising, folks you can always tell the NRA not to send you the fundraisers. They do them because they work, and that means the NRA has more money to fight for us. Do you want the NRA to cripple itself just to keep you happy?

All chiefs and no indians.

7x57

1BigPea
11-12-2009, 9:52 AM
Heaven knows there are many issues with the NRA, after all, I am a member, and if they let me in, you know they have issues. And yes, I know that there are certain organizations that wish to limit arms to military structures. But the NRA claiming that the UN is going to come and take your guns is nothing more than a boogieman strategy to get people to open their wallets.

The NRA is nothing but sensationalist when it comes to soliciting you for your money. Their letters are laughable. Even if their message contains a grain of truth, the perception that their message gives is nothing but "loony gun owners".

It would be really nice to see some professionalism from the NRA when it comes to their communications instead of their constant fear mongering.

OK, so you think the letters are "laughable" and contain "a grain of truth". WOW, and you're a NRA member why?!

Do you really think that the NRA could continue to fight the constant fight the gun grabbers apply at all times without the donations that are generated from those letters!?

mtptwo
11-12-2009, 1:34 PM
OK, so you think the letters are "laughable" and contain "a grain of truth". WOW, and you're a NRA member why?!

Do you really think that the NRA could continue to fight the constant fight the gun grabbers apply at all times without the donations that are generated from those letters!?

The grain of truth is that there are persons and organizations that wish to regulate guns to varying degrees up to and including bans. The NRA claiming that the UN is going to show up and grab your guns isn't true.

H Paul Payne
11-12-2009, 6:04 PM
The NRA claiming that the UN is going to show up and grab your guns isn't true.

Prove your statement.

Paul

6172crew
11-12-2009, 6:12 PM

Could you show me one thing the NRA has said that wasn't true?

a1c
11-12-2009, 6:17 PM
I have a solution to help ending gun violence around the world.

All US gun owners should contribute to a fund - maybe following a subscription model - and the pooled money would be used to buy food and commodities that would be exchanged against all those old guns in Africa, South America or Asia used to oppress people.

Every month, we'd get a nice shipment on our doorstep, containing a crate full of AKs, Mosins, M1s, and whatever firearms were bought back by the fund.

We'd help disarm dangerous guerillas and criminals, and enrich our collections.

Just kidding.

a1c
11-12-2009, 6:21 PM
Prove your statement.

Paul

Well we have to be fair here: the burden is on the NRA to prove their claim, not the other way around. And I'm not really convinced either.

dwtt
11-12-2009, 6:29 PM
Well we have to be fair here: the burden is on the NRA to prove their claim, not the other way around. And I'm not really convinced either.

I think the thing that needs proving is in the highlighted words below.
The NRA claiming that the UN is going to show up and grab your guns isn't true.

I don't recall the NRA making such claims that the UN will come and take our guns. I see them saying the international treaties being drafted and pushed by some countries can have an effect here in the US, should these treaties be ratified.

a1c
11-12-2009, 6:43 PM
I don't recall the NRA making such claims that the UN will come and take our guns. I see them saying the international treaties being drafted and pushed by some countries can have an effect here in the US, should these treaties be ratified.

You're right - I have no knowledge of what exactly the NRA is claiming about those treaties.

rambo
11-12-2009, 7:23 PM
The UN going after our guns does not sound far fetched at all I expect this is exactly what they are doing. Do you think this is on Obama and the rest of his Komrades Agenda? of course it is. He does not want to commit political suicide yet so he will use a diffrent route than clinton. I bet he will only last one term as the president with more damage to this country than any other terrorist or standing army could ever do. But I am sure he has bigger plans than being president.:TFH:

BRANCHER
11-12-2009, 7:48 PM
Well,.. I got the call during dinner with the family (isn't always that way!). I listened and said I was already aware of this. And explained I just gave money to CALGUNS (thru work and I need to check if money was received). He was un-aware of CALGUNS and I told him to check us out. I told him this is the group that is fighting for CA and when we can get CA to pro-gun stance the nation will follow. I talk with others about RKBA and am slowly changing people’s minds. Unfortunately it seems like it will be resolved more in courts than people’s minds at this time.

I don't even want to start on what I dislike about the UN.
But I fear the Brady Bunch see this is the only option left with what has been happening with the courts rulings lately.

7x57
11-12-2009, 9:42 PM
I have a solution to help ending gun violence around the world.

When I read that statement I thought your idea was going to be us rich Americans setting up a fund to buy AKs for everyone in the world. :eek:

It would probably be cheaper than any given bill voted in by the current administration though. :chris:

All US gun owners should contribute to a fund - maybe following a subscription model - and the pooled money would be used to buy food and commodities that would be exchanged against all those old guns in Africa, South America or Asia used to oppress people.

Every month, we'd get a nice shipment on our doorstep, containing a crate full of AKs, Mosins, M1s, and whatever firearms were bought back by the fund.

We'd help disarm dangerous guerillas and criminals, and enrich our collections.

Just kidding.

If it wasn't for the NFA and import/export laws, you wouldn't have to be. And sadly, international trade really is the Fed's prerogative, so I fear those laws are completely Constitutional. It would be nice if we could at least shoot down the "sporting purpose" based ones, but my gut feeling is probably not.

7x57

H Paul Payne
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM

WRONG!!! Re-read what he said. Then, you will see why I challenged him to prove it.

He made several statements, as if they were factual statements, but they were not correct, factual, and/or truthful. Maybe I should have said, "Prove your statement(s)."

Paul

Hogxtz
11-13-2009, 3:29 AM
Nay-sayers will always do nothing but hurt the gun rights cause. Get on the same page (team), and direct your suspicions towards something more worthy, like say,....the Brady bunch followers. To me, attacking the NRA really means you are "sitting on the fence" and not %100 willing to support gun rights.

pTa
11-13-2009, 4:06 AM
... The NRA claiming that the UN is going to show up and grab your guns isn't true.

It won't work that way. No UN peace force is coming to your trailer park... however, they do want to make it so local LE will do it for them.

Maybe this isn't clear to most of you, but the UN's idea of a democratic existence is pretty much the European model. Next time you find yourself over the pond, try and see how many permits you need to buy a firearm or ammo for it. In many cases it's pretty much impossible. Almost all firearms collectors over there have access to only non-functioning pieces.