PDA

View Full Version : N.J. judge says quadriplegic can have guns

mark2203
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Man in wheelchair wants to hunt with firearm operated by breathing tube.

WTF?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33855520/ns/us_news-life

Glock22Fan
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Assuming the firearm is supported in a safe manner, and that the man's brain is working properly, and the breathing tube is not set up as a hair trigger, why not?

After all, this isn't someone who is going to wander around the mall taking potshots at people.

I imagine that he will have assistance with shooting, he will need someone to load the rifle and so forth, so why should that be unsafe?

Dirtbiker
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
The courts have ruled it's a constitutional right. They have no choice as long as he is not a prohibited person.

Southwest Chuck
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Good for him. I just hope he doesn't sneeze :p I'm trying to think, though, isn't there an issue with a remote controlled trigger mechanism? Or is there an ADA exception for something like that? ;)

Shotgun Man
11-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Terrible reporting.

You don't get a sense of the legal background or the subject's personal background.

bwiese
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Handicapped/disabled matters will have considerable sway on RKBA issues.

Many of these folks need pistol-gripped firearms.

Last time I checked, handicapped/folks with disabilities have the same right to a firearm I do, and are certainly often in a more vulnerable position requiring elevated standards of defense.

CSACANNONEER
11-11-2009, 1:12 PM
Handicapped/disabled matters will have considerable sway on RKBA issues.

Many of these folks need pistol-gripped firearms.

Last time I checked, handicapped/folks with disabilities have the same right to a firearm I do, and are certainly often in a more vulnerable position requiring elevated standards of defense.

I had one person at my last AK BP who is disabled and needs a PG to shoot a long gun. He also brought up the point that he needs +10 round mags since he can not tell a BG to wait while he spends 5 minutes changing out mags. Unfortunately, in Ca, he is forced to use BBs on long guns with PGs and is not legally allowed to buy +10 round mags for his newer SD guns. If there has ever been a better case for giving someone an AW permit and a High Cap permit, I am not aware of it.

yellowfin
11-11-2009, 7:38 PM
Bill has it nailed, and to expand and elaborate on that it's a very compelling argument for taking SBR's off the NFA list as they are prime examples of a gun ideally suited for the core lawful purpose of self defense.

Seesm
11-11-2009, 8:26 PM
Great for him. If he can shoot it with a proper set up that is safe for him and others I think that is great. And if not he should be able to own them as he is a legal GUN OWNER!!! Yeah for him.

nicki
11-12-2009, 3:38 PM
The intent of the ADA was to try to accomodate people who have disabilities so that they could try to have as much of a normal life as possible.

The fact that gun makers can't sell guns that would be better suited for people with disabilities because of state laws could open up some interesting types of lawsuits.

And the "right people" here are looking into this one.

Nicki

oldrifle
11-12-2009, 5:05 PM
I want a gun that I blow into a tube to fire... sounds like the world's most powerful pea shooter. :)

Anyway, good for him.

Super Spy
11-12-2009, 5:44 PM
My sis has a pacemaker and is left eye dominate, apparently pacemakers aren't designed to handle recoil so she can legally hunt by proxy. She can't handle the recoil of a high powered rifle. I believe since she's on O2 a lot she can even hunt from a vehicle. I need to understand this more thoroughly as she lives in Washington state and tells me if I'm her designated shooter I don't even need a WA hunting license and a deer tag. I will verify this myself as in the end it's my butt on the line, but what kind of a brother would I be if I didn't help her put Bambi in the freezer?

KylaGWolf
11-12-2009, 9:09 PM
I know being disabled trying to find a gun that will be a good one for me a challenge. I need an ambi safety and mag release and it seems that those are hard to find on the same gun.

BenjaminCA
11-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Gosh, it sucks to be the deer killed by this fella. Not only is he dead, but he was shot and killed by a guy blowing into a tube. Good on the handicapped guy for using his given rights though! :)

CalNRA
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
People with limited mobility should be able to purchase standard capacity magazines so they don't have to reload as much, which with their limited mobility a reload can cost them their life.

Standard Capacity magazine for the defense of life of disabled persons!!

nicki
11-13-2009, 1:11 PM
Gee,

I wonder how many gun features restrictions could be challenged by the ADA once we get the 2A as a right.

How about things like forward grips on pistols?

How about things like stocks on pistols?

How about the whole short barrel rifle restrictions since a SBR could be a ideal SD arm for some?

Could possibly make same argument for SBS as well.

Other issues could be CCW since handicapped individuals are easier targets for low life scum.

My gut tells me that the restrictions on SBS and SBR may have had racist roots since handguns in many parts of the US were unavailable to non whites in the 1930's.

Nicki

U2BassAce
11-13-2009, 1:23 PM
Great for him. If he can shoot it with a proper set up that is safe for him and others I think that is great. And if not he should be able to own them as he is a legal GUN OWNER!!! Yeah for him.

Good point.

Plus as long as he does not live with a prohibited person what is to stop his spouse from using the handgun to protect their family? Just like me an able body person. All my guns are under my name. But that does not stop my wife who is trained from grabbing one in an emergency.

Plus the ADA is very interesting angle. Cool.

adamsreeftank
11-13-2009, 1:28 PM
People with limited mobility should be able to purchase standard capacity magazines so they don't have to reload as much, which with their limited mobility a reload can cost them their life.

Standard Capacity magazine for the defense of life of disabled persons!!

Same logic applies to everyone.

KylaGWolf
11-13-2009, 9:54 PM
Oh I would love to have more than 10 rounds in a magazine. I can say from experience that it takes me forever to load the magazine if I empty it. I went to Front Sight in September had four magazines. Spent a lot of time reloading. Then again I shot 800 rounds in four days. On a good day I can change a magazine out with little trouble. Then the next time I have to do so I can't get it to release because my hands are not cooperating. Which can become an issue if I have to change in the middle of a situation. Which is one reason I need an ambidextrous magazine release to use my left thumb to release it most of the time. Also why I need at best ambidextrous safety or one that sits on the right side of my gun.

As to how far an ADA suit would go for gun rights here in CA I am almost afraid to hope.

7x57
11-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Oh I would love to have more than 10 rounds in a magazine. I can say from experience that it takes me forever to load the magazine if I empty it. I went to Front Sight in September had four magazines. Spent a lot of time reloading. Then again I shot 800 rounds in four days.

I don't see the problem here. A 1911 and one hundred magazines and you're GTG! :D

ETA: granted, preloading them the night before is going to be slightly tedious. :eek:

7x57

KylaGWolf
11-14-2009, 9:54 PM
I don't see the problem here. A 1911 and one hundred magazines and you're GTG! :D

ETA: granted, preloading them the night before is going to be slightly tedious. :eek:

7x57

::Rofl:: You know that was a big part of the problem the pesky mags would empty too fast. :D I had four mags for my gun. As for the 1911 I am seriously considering of getting one of those for my next gun. I just have to find one that I can pull the slide back easy enough and has the ambi safety and mag release. I tried a friend of mine's Kimber 45 and felt good in my hand but had a bit of trouble with the safety and I didn't even think of trying the slide that day since it was right after my HK USP 9mm compact had a nasty malfunction and I was a bit freaked still. I am going to shoot the friends Kimber some more before writing it off. At this point I am just hoping to go back to Front Sight again soon. I learned a lot from the class and hope to continue to improve my skills so I can protect myself if I have to. I still have some problems getting head shots and can't do moving targets at this point but after the last trip there I did tighten up my shots in the thoracic area.