PDA

View Full Version : officer.com Op-Ed: Reasonable Gun Control?

gcrtkd
11-11-2009, 8:50 AM
A Law Enforcement View on Gun Control...

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Op-Ed--Reasonable-Gun-Control/21$49245

One of the most controversial policy areas in America today is that of gun control. It's my observation that most law enforcement officers are against additional gun control laws and many even favor fewer restrictions on gun ownership by citizens. (This is in contrast to Chiefs of Police, who are usually politically-appointed officials and who in many agencies are more politician than police officer.) In that vein, I'm writing this piece expressing in some detail what I think might be a more-or-less law enforcement consensus view of the subject... rest of the article at: http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Op-Ed--Reasonable-Gun-Control/21$49245

-gcrtkd

gcrtkd
11-11-2009, 8:59 AM
strange...

alakazam! http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Op-Ed--Reasonable-Gun-Control/21$49245

SgtDinosaur
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Excellent article and the comments made by actual LEOs are just as good. I especially liked: "I am supposed to allow Barbara Boxer, Charles Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, Frank Lautenberg, Barney Frank, and John Kerry to tell me when and if I can defend myself ?" "That is absurd. Unthinkable. Not going to happen." A quote from Ted Nugent.

spyderco monkey
11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Superb article, and, due to the fact that it was written by "one of our police officers" as the Brady's are so fond of saying, its full of win ;)

This should be printed out and distributed widely, and submitted to as many newspapers as possible for their editorial section.

lumwilliam
11-11-2009, 4:08 PM
It's so sad that police officer unions always end up getting behind the biggest gun grabbing liberal politicians, if their rank and file don't actually have a problem with lawful possession of firearms.

LHC30
11-12-2009, 8:45 AM
Excellent article...Thanks for the post

joelberg
11-12-2009, 9:03 AM
Decent on the whole, except its sad that the author says that it can be justifiable to ban .50 caliber rifles.

Turo
11-12-2009, 9:21 AM
Decent on the whole, except its sad that the author says that it can be justifiable to ban .50 caliber rifles.

Agreed. The author makes very good points as to how 17-20 rnd magazines are legitimate for self defense, but then throws out a rifle because of its caliber:confused:? I agree with most everything else he said though.

7x57
11-12-2009, 9:40 AM
On a quick skim, it seems that the author is making his judgements based on immediate self-defense considerations for the average person. You can't carry a .50 cal in a holster or briefcase. It's understandable if a uniformed officer of the state de-emphasizes the "defense against an oppressive state" aspect of the 2A.

Yes, he's wrong, but not in an insane way. Baby steps, remember? He's a cop who supports the right of self-defense, and we can work with that for a long time. It'll be, um, "a while" :D before we're in court arguing that we can have a turret-mounted quad .50 on the roof for urban defense in case of TEOTWAWKI. :rofl:

7x57

bohoki
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
reasonable gun control should be analogous to reasonable speech control

you cant fire in crowded theaters

7x57
11-12-2009, 4:41 PM
reasonable gun control should be analogous to reasonable speech control

you cant fire in crowded theaters

If someone is randomly shooting, you *can* fire in a crowded theater. And if there is an actual fire, you *can* yell fire there as well.

You'd just better be right that the situation demanded it.

7x57