PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Range Targets

bambam8d1
11-10-2009, 9:13 PM
sorry if this is a rtard question... but i have never been to an outdoor range before. recently finished my OLL build and was thinking about headin over to Lytle Creek to test it out anf finally put some rounds through it. Like I said though ive never been to an outdoor range. Do you bring your own target stands or what is the deal with that? I am a certified welder and can come up with some nifty lil holders lol... or just build something with some 2x4s or something... any info would be greatly appreciative. thanks. also if you do bring your own target stands/holders... any pictures of your set ups would be awesome. thanks again

audihenry
11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I know at Angeles there are stuff set out so you can shoot at them. Otherwise, you can either put your own or rent.

Jonathan Doe
11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I liked shooting this ;):

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/AAA006Medium.jpg

bballwizard05
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Alright at lytle their target rules are pretty relaxed. They do have targets for rent as well as stands, however there stands are flimsy wood that are a pain the *** to stake into the relatively hard ground. What I personally do is take a cardboard box and stand it on end and tape a target to a side. Put a bunch of rocks inside to hold it in place so the wind doesnt blow it over and I'm set. However as a certified welder and you are probably crafty I would reccomend as a long term target stand something with a rectangular base that has two rods or pieces of wood going vertically and then use a piece of flat cardboard to tape in between the rods and put targets on. (wish i had pictures but read my post slowly and use your imagination hopefully it will piece itself together). Also I know there have been pictures posted of what I'm talking about in this forum, a bit of forum searching might help find the pics. In fact I believe ANDREWMENDEZ or FUTURECOLLECTOR posted some pics of what i'm talking about kinda.

Cokebottle
11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't weld.... PVC pipe with 1x2's stuck in it.
Lightweight, portable if you leave a couple of the key joints unglued, and if you happen to shoot up your stand, it's $2 to buy a new piece of PVC.

Mitch
11-11-2009, 6:45 AM
I welded the attached stands. The uprights are 2x2 pine, so they are cheap and easy to replace if they get shot up.

The purpose of using steel is because my favorite targets are plastic bottles filled with colored water, so I wanted some strength. The crosspiece goes over the top and the holes accept eye bolts with chains attached for hanging plastic bottles.

I use these in the desert, however, since I am not sure they would be acceptable at a formal range. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be at Angeles; I understand Lytle Creek is more relaxed.