PDA

View Full Version : Question about John Allen Muhammad & Settlement w/ Bushmaster, etc.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 8:52 PM
As you know, the guy behind the sniper shootings of a few years ago was executed today. I was on WikiPedia for some background info and ran across this:

"In 2003, Malvo, Muhammad and Chad White were named in a major civil lawsuit by the Legal Action Project of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence on behalf of two of their victims who were seriously wounded and the families of some of those murdered. Although Malvo and Muhammad were each believed to be indigent, codefendants Bull's Eye Shooter Supply and Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. contributed to a landmark $2.5 million out-of-court settlement in late 2004."

Why did they settle? Did they do it to avoid continued bad publicity or simply to help out the victims? Does anyone know?

SuperSet
11-10-2009, 8:59 PM
IIRC, Bulls Eye had the gun stolen from them so the families sued both the store and Bushmaster, for selling to an 'irresponsible' dealer.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 9:51 PM
IIRC, Bulls Eye had the gun stolen from them so the families sued both the store and Bushmaster, for selling to an 'irresponsible' dealer.

Ah gotcha, thanks. :)

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2009, 9:52 PM
When you get your insurance company involved, it is cheaper for them to settle and force the suing parties to accept BM was not at fault and end it there than drag it out and cost 5 million to find BM completely innocent.

For some stupid reason I am watching CNN right now and a bunch of people are trying to paint him as some poor misguided guy who didn't know better. Sorry, you kill ten people, I am not going to shed any tears for you.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 9:59 PM
When you get your insurance company involved, it is cheaper for them to settle and force the suing parties to accept BM was not at fault and end it there than drag it out and cost 5 million to find BM completely innocent.

For some stupid reason I am watching CNN right now and a bunch of people are trying to paint him as some poor misguided guy who didn't know better. Sorry, you kill ten people, I am not going to shed any tears for you.

Well, I didn't understand why Bushmaster would get sued to begin with, but SupetSet cleared it up.

As far as him being misguided, aren't all criminals? I think many people are trying to understand how to prevent something like this in the future because as I understand it, there has been no motive.

Killing someone for a purpose (not that you could justify it) is one thing, but killing people with NO reason? That's just evil.

jamesob
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, I didn't understand why Bushmaster would get sued to begin with, but SupetSet cleared it up.

As far as him being misguided, aren't all criminals? I think many people are trying to understand how to prevent something like this in the future because as I understand it, there has been no motive.

Killing someone for a purpose (not that you could justify it) is one thing, but killing people with NO reason? That's just evil.

well it's like this. settle out of court for 2.5 mil. ( insurance would most likely pay ) or pay a law firm 3.5 mil. to defend you. it sucks but that our judicial system.

Colt
11-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, take it to its absurd extreme - why not sue the gas station, shopping center, etc. where victims were- after all, had they not been there selling their products, the victims would not have gone there, and not become victims.

Our tort system is absolutely whacked...

audihenry
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
well it's like this. settle out of court for 2.5 mil. ( insurance would most likely pay ) or pay a law firm 3.5 mil. to defend you. it sucks but that our judicial system.

Reminds me of the Pinto story. :(

Henry Hill
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
He did those murders with a Bushmaster AR -15 right? I wonder how many yards they were shooting from... Its a shame it took so many years to execute him

audihenry
11-11-2009, 12:38 AM
He did those murders with a Bushmaster AR -15 right? I wonder how many yards they were shooting from... Its a shame it took so many years to execute him

"The attacks were carried out with the firearm found in the vehicle, a stolen Bushmaster XM-15 semiautomatic .223 caliber rifle equipped with a red-dot sight at ranges of between 50 and over 100 yards."

norcal77
11-11-2009, 1:32 AM
As you know, the guy behind the sniper shootings of a few years ago was executed today. I was on WikiPedia for some background info and ran across this:

"In 2003, Malvo, Muhammad and Chad White were named in a major civil lawsuit by the Legal Action Project of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence on behalf of two of their victims who were seriously wounded and the families of some of those murdered. Although Malvo and Muhammad were each believed to be indigent, codefendants Bull's Eye Shooter Supply and Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. contributed to a landmark $2.5 million out-of-court settlement in late 2004."

Why did they settle? Did they do it to avoid continued bad publicity or simply to help out the victims? Does anyone know?

Unfortunately, it is cheaper to settle than fight for what is right...

B Strong
11-11-2009, 6:16 AM

Exactly.

What's really problematic is if you're insured to, let's say $1,000,000.00, and you face a suit for substantially more - your insurance carrier writes a check to the plaintiff for a millsky (justified claim or no), heads for the hills, and you are then on your own.

clay32
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Actually, in comparison to many other high profile murder cases, they did him pretty quick. Thank goodness for Federal courts (think Tim McVeigh, no wasted time there), otherwise no one would ever get the needle. Out here in CA, the victim's family usually dies of old age while the perp is living to a ripe old age on death row.

Jicko
11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
"The attacks were carried out with the firearm found in the vehicle, a stolen Bushmaster XM-15 semiautomatic .223 caliber rifle equipped with a red-dot sight at ranges of between 50 and over 100 yards."

16" M4 profile barrel, no muzzle device, 6 pos telescoping stock, no BUIS, plastic handguard, harrid bipod....

and the red-dot sight = an EOTech

Pic of the actual rifle:
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/2693873.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED7BB4639448D06FDB B01E70F2B3269972

Within 100yds, this weapon is deadly and dead accurate....