PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal ammo

dwtt
05-12-2005, 6:58 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what opinions people have about Talon and Thuderbird ammo. From what I've read about Talon, they reload demilled military brass and bullets. Thunderbird loads new ammo. Anyone have problems with chambering the Talon reloads or with accuracy? Are they high pressure or suited for a 1:15 barrel? Are they consistent from round to round? What about the Thunderbird ammo?

Thanks for any input any .50 shooters can provide, since I've already spent my tax return to build up my Viper rifle. I hope it arrives in a month or so, but I'm worried about putting good ammo through it without having to go with match grade ammo. I'm new to .50 cal and will wait after a few hundred rounds to begin reloading and going for match level performance. Now I have to save up for a good scope while I do with a run of the mill scope while learning about the rifle.

dwtt
05-12-2005, 6:58 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what opinions people have about Talon and Thuderbird ammo. From what I've read about Talon, they reload demilled military brass and bullets. Thunderbird loads new ammo. Anyone have problems with chambering the Talon reloads or with accuracy? Are they high pressure or suited for a 1:15 barrel? Are they consistent from round to round? What about the Thunderbird ammo?

Thanks for any input any .50 shooters can provide, since I've already spent my tax return to build up my Viper rifle. I hope it arrives in a month or so, but I'm worried about putting good ammo through it without having to go with match grade ammo. I'm new to .50 cal and will wait after a few hundred rounds to begin reloading and going for match level performance. Now I have to save up for a good scope while I do with a run of the mill scope while learning about the rifle.

scorpionusa
05-12-2005, 7:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwtt:
I hope it arrives in a month or so, but I'm worried about putting good ammo through it without having to go with match grade ammo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IF you are in California, what you should be worried about is how to how to return the rifle and get your money back. In case you haven't heard of the AB50, any .50bmg rifle is considered an AW in CA after 01/01/2005, so it's illegal to purchase/acquire one after that.

However, your other alternative would be getting a .50 upper if you already own an AR-15 lower legally before 01/01/2005 and register it as a .50bmg rifle. So if I were you I would get my $ back and order a .50 upper. There are several good .50 uppers: ALS (www.50bmg.net (http://www.50bmg.net)), UM50 (www.ultramag50.com (http://www.ultramag50.com)) and some others you can search for .50bmg ar conversion on google

RRangel
05-12-2005, 8:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwtt:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any input any .50 shooters can provide, since I've already spent my tax return to build up my Viper rifle. I hope it arrives in a month or so, but I'm worried about putting good ammo through it without having to go with match grade ammo. I'm new to .50 cal and will wait after a few hundred rounds to begin reloading and going for match level performance. Now I have to save up for a good scope while I do with a run of the mill scope while learning about the rifle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talon is good plinking ammo and very affordable. I've used the M33 ball.

I managed a three shot MOA group with it. I had one problem with one round not chamering in my McMillan rifle but that's out of 150 rounds. Not too shaby for the price. I don't have any info on the Thunderbird ammo sorry.

It should work fine with a 1:15 barrel. That's just like the Barrett Model 99.

You have until April 2006 I beleive to register your rifle so no worries there.

Enjoy your .50 BMG.

imported_DULLYJAY
05-12-2005, 8:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scorpionusa:
I hope it arrives in a month or so, but I'm worried about putting good ammo through it without having to go with match grade ammo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IF you are in California, what you should be worried about is how to how to return the rifle and get your money back. In case you haven't heard of the AB50, any .50bmg rifle is considered an AW in CA after 01/01/2005, so it's illegal to purchase/acquire one after that.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure he got the reciever before the 1st of year like me & many others.

Please let us know how it shoots when you get it.

Technical Ted
05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for any input any .50 shooters can provide, since I've already spent my tax return to build up my Viper rifle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this is the tip off that he had the receiver before the ban went into effect. He wrote build instead of buy.

scorpionusa
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Oh, my bad. I should've thought if he's really into this, he would've done enough research to know what's he doing.

I was thinking of getting the Viper too, before the ban went into effect, but I waited too long. So now the only choice I have is the .50 upper for the pre-AB50 FAB10 receiver. This time I'm not going to miss the boat again. So an ALS upper is on order, but I'll have to wait another 4-5 months for it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

50 Freak
05-13-2005, 1:15 AM
I'm actually thinking of putting my UltraMag 50 upper up for sale. It has the 22 inch fluted barrel and other extras. Less than a 100 rounds through it. Think it will sell?

Georro
05-13-2005, 6:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scorpionusa:
Oh, my bad. I should've thought if he's really into this, he would've done enough research to know what's he doing.

I was thinking of getting the Viper too, before the ban went into effect, but I waited too long. So now the only choice I have is the .50 upper for the pre-AB50 FAB10 receiver. This time I'm not going to miss the boat again. So an ALS upper is on order, but I'll have to wait another 4-5 months for it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an ALS. The wait is worth it. Darren builds a quality product. You'll be amazed at how much fun .50's are to shoot http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I would recommend getting the case from him as well as the bipod (you'll also be amazed at the weight). The case makes it easier to transport that beast. I have the recoil pad he sells for the AR stock and it does a very good job. The whole setup kicks less than my M1 or 12 guage.

scorpionusa
05-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Turok,

Nice to know good feedback on the ALS. I was gonna go with UM but in the end decided to go with ALS for its reputation and it's more affordable than the UM although the UM is mag fed, not that it matters much considering it's still a bolt action, it looks sexier, and it's lighter. I have the full size ACE stock with rubber buttpad, so I'm not worried about its kick, and I have plenty of Tylenol and Advil http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

50 Freak, I think you'd have no trouble selling your UM upper at all. I actually haven't seen many 50 conversion offered for sale. I suppose it's the high demand vs low supply. Btw, how does your UM50 shoot?

50 Freak
05-13-2005, 12:55 PM
The UM50 is absolutely beautiful. The worksmanship on it is pretty damn good. On the rifle, with heavy duty rings, Tasco SS, harris bipod, then entire rifle weights in about 17 pounds. Pretty light for a 50.

I really can't tell you about accuracy as I've only shot it at the 100 and everyone knows a 50 bmg round doesn't even stabilize till about 200 yards. But from what I can see, it is going to be a nail driver. After all, it does have a match Walther Lother barrel.

Rascal
05-15-2005, 1:50 PM
Hey 50,
If it is a match barrel, then it can't shoot mil surplus ammo, right?

50 Freak
05-15-2005, 6:02 PM
nope, I shoot mostly surplus (Talon) ammo in it.