PDA

View Full Version : CENTRAL CALIFORNIA HUNTING

kenc9
02-24-2005, 8:41 AM
Anyone live around here that hunts? Looking for a good place to go pig hunting.

kenc9
02-24-2005, 8:41 AM
Anyone live around here that hunts? Looking for a good place to go pig hunting.

patman
02-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Private land is your best bet. If you don't know anyone, then you're stuck with an outfitter. The good part about the outfitter is that most of them will gut and all so you only have to find a butcher.

I went out to Hunter Liggett once and it was downright scary. Some urban hunters were out there. Imagine a 4x4 stuck in the dirt. All everyone saw was a HUGE dust cloud and what sounded like a jet engine! This was around dusk so imagine the excitement the pigs had, if any were around. Another party told us that these characters "killed" a log earlier in the day.

If you decide to go to Liggett, you should consider either a muzzle loader or slugs. One group had one in the cooler Saturday. It was harvested from the restriced zones near the river.

http://www.liggett.army.mil/Hunt&Fish/index.htm

Good luck.

JAFGO
02-27-2005, 12:54 AM
We tried Hunter-Liggett many years ago (25+) with no luck. What I do remember when we were leaving was a warning sign that said "handguns prohibited". Never spotted any signs to that effect when entering H-L.

Things could have gotten problematic since my personal hunting weapon on the reservation was an S&W Model 29. I had been packing it openly and if caught it most likely would have been confiscated.

Rikarin
03-06-2005, 8:32 PM
Mmm. Wanna go pig hunting! Even just watching it. Sounds really tasty! Wildpig sausage.... Anyone saw japanese ramen movie "tampopo"?

asahi1259@yahoo.com
03-16-2005, 6:52 PM
I too am looking for a place to go pig hunting without a guide. Have anyone gone around the hollister area? BLM to be specific or the Williams area? Any info would be great.

theseacow
03-18-2005, 7:00 PM
Unfortunatly there is no BLM land around hollister to even attempt to look for pigs on. I was in your shoes just over a year ago, and have gone nearly everywhere BLM related. If you want more info, send me a PM.

asahi1259@yahoo.com
03-28-2005, 9:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theseacow:
Unfortunatly there is no BLM land around hollister to even attempt to look for pigs on. I was in your shoes just over a year ago, and have gone nearly everywhere BLM related. If you want more info, send me a PM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to email you but the address was bounced back to me. if you like you can email me directly at asahi1259@yahoo.com and we can talk from there.

Thanks,
Greg