PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Old-Timers - Disneyland Gun Collection

JayDeeSacramento
11-10-2009, 7:29 PM
So I'm trying to tap into the vast resources of the members here.

So the story I hear from my father and grandparents is that part of my great-grandfather Floyd Rucker's huge gun collection used to be at Disneyland back in the 50's.

Information about the gun collection in Frontierland is woefully lacking on the internet.

I'm wondering if anyone has personal recollections or (in my wildest dreams) some pictures of the gun collection that that used be in the Davy Crockett shop.

johnny_22
11-11-2009, 7:19 AM
Only gun displays I can find is the gun shop at Knots Berry Farm. All the Frontierland stuff talk about the shooting gallery (and the change to laser weapons).

Sorry, I can't help more.

glockman19
11-11-2009, 8:11 AM
Yes I remember in the 60's a gun display. I also remember when they used real .22's at the shooting gallery only to become BB's in the 70's and now they are lazers.

I loved shooting out the red star.

geeknow
11-11-2009, 8:23 AM
So I'm trying to tap into the vast resources of the members here.

So the story I hear from my father and grandparents is that part of my great-grandfather Floyd Rucker's huge gun collection used to be at Disneyland back in the 50's.

Information about the gun collection in Frontierland is woefully lacking on the internet.

I'm wondering if anyone has personal recollections or (in my wildest dreams) some pictures of the gun collection that that used be in the Davy Crockett shop.

you might try calling the park and asking them..i bet they have a historian, or archivist, or something along those lines..either that, and this may sound hokey, but at the park there are various 'pin trading' locations..the people that hang out there and swap memorabilia are some of the best knowledge bases to be found with regard to stuff like this. these arent cast members, but genuine fans. My family and I go to disneyland pretty often, as we live in the area. If you have no luck, pm me..i will ask them next time i'm there.

I used to work there (way back when), and they have historical disney stuff all over the place in the back lots...therefore i surmise that they have a department for organizing all of those things..they have a department or two for everything else..:p

another option would be to call Disneyana in Anaheim. This is a fairly good sized store that sells nothing but disney stuff..collectibles, oldey-time items, and such...they are not a 'disney' store. I think that they are on anaheim blvd...or st college just south of ball rd.

hope that helps.
take care,
g

Ivanhoe
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
They are in Club 33 atop the Blue Bayou Restaurant... J/K

smle-man
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Anyone remember the huge western gun collection at the Spaghetti Station restaurant near Disneyland? They had some amazing stuff there but it was all auctioned off some years ago.

diginit
11-11-2009, 9:24 PM
I remember the .22 shooting gallery at Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm. Spent most of my allowance there. God that was FUN. They had the greatest targets! Drunks that poped up when you hit the barrel, Animals that screamed and fell over, Only to come back to life. Rows of moving targets. Darned shame that kids now can't do the same...Fk'n anti's....

JayDeeSacramento
11-13-2009, 8:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Gryff
11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

I was just there earlier this year. No guns to be found, but there was some pretty good food. Always fun to be allowed into a secret club...

POLICESTATE
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

I thought it was called Club 101? That's the full bar but VIP only right? I remember seeing a picture where on the wall mural there's a Nazi stormtrooper behind a curtain or something. I guess a throw back from Walt's earlier years ;)

Gryff
11-13-2009, 2:38 PM
I thought it was called Club 101? That's the full bar but VIP only right? I remember seeing a picture where on the wall mural there's a Nazi stormtrooper behind a curtain or something. I guess a throw back from Walt's earlier years ;)

Nope, it's always been called Club 33. The entrance is right next to the Blue Bayou Restaurant (the door with the "33" street number on it). It's a membership-only club, although members can make reservations for friends.

Don't know about anything Nazi in it. Walt was a pretty patriotic guy.

mrkubota
11-13-2009, 2:58 PM
We had dinner there once when I worked there in the '70s...
The trophy room was nice, but I've heard that the trophys have been removed from display now as well... :(

http://www.hasbeens.com/photogallery/215/5680_lg.jpg

I emailed a friend who used to work in the archive dept. about the gun collection. Perhaps he'll know what happened to it.

Ivanhoe
11-13-2009, 3:17 PM
iirc it is an estimated 14 yr wait to get into the club at this time and then it will cost around $15000 plus monthly dues. Unfortunately you cannot even get on the waiting list any longer. (if that is your cup o tea) my apology to the OP for getting this a bit off track.

Cpl. Haas
11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I thought it was called Club 101? That's the full bar but VIP only right?

It's Club 33... awesome food at roughly $90ish dollars a head. Been there a few times over the past several years... in fact, I just booked a reservation for my friends and me on the 27th. :D

iirc it is an estimated 14 yr wait to get into the club at this time and then it will cost around $15000 plus monthly dues. Unfortunately you cannot even get on the waiting list any longer. (if that is your cup o tea)

Think it's more like 3-5 years these days, but you're correct... they're currently not accepting new applications... gotta wait for the older members to die off first. :p

jmlivingston
11-14-2009, 7:40 AM
I've eaten at 33 twice. Good food, very nice restaurant, it is also the only place in Disneyland proper that serves alcohol.

http://www.disneylandclub33.com/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_33

John

Gryff
11-14-2009, 4:27 PM
It's Club 33... awesome food at roughly $90ish dollars a head.

Actually, I believe it's a fixed price menu, and you pay the equivalent of full-priced park admission per person. On the other hand, you don't have to have a park ticket to get in (your reservation will do that for you), and you can stay in the park all day after you are done eating (I think it's even a park-hopper pass so you can also go in California Adventure).