PDA

View Full Version : Start DROS before guns arrive?

freakshow10mm
11-10-2009, 5:29 PM
How many start DROS before the gun arrives for an out of state transfer? Seems like lately there's been issues with shipping delays from the sellers getting guns to me. I've been getting a lot of calls and emails requesting the SN of the guns so they can start DROS. Is DROS for one gun or can you add guns to DROS once it's been started? How does it work?

In Michigan it's a NICS for long guns and a purchase permit for pistols (receipt showing you passed the State Police BG check) or CPL exempts you from BG checks. No waiting period for anything, it's all cash and carry.

halifax
11-10-2009, 6:23 PM
I have no problem starting the DROS before long guns arrive if the buyer wants to and is willing to forfeit the DROS fee is something goes wrong. Hand guns no.

kemasa
11-11-2009, 6:34 AM
I prefer not to submit the DROS until it arrives since the firearm might be unacceptable. I had one which is falsely advertised (different model) with different pictures and the seller claimed it was a simple mistake.

I do make it clear, as Halifax said, that if the buyer is willing to forfeit the DROS fee if there is a problem, then I will start the DROS for a longgun, but not for handguns. You could do it for handguns if you ensure that the serial number is correct, but it is frowned on and there might be a letter from the CA DOJ which said to not do that, although I was told that you could do it, but that it was a good idea to get pictures of the serial number to ensure that you had the correct serial number. Realize that if you get inspected and you don't have the firearms, then you get to explain things.

I do not increase the number of firearms after the DROS is submitted.

freakshow10mm
11-11-2009, 6:51 AM
Seems like a weird and risky way to do it. Could put the dealer in hot water with paperwork if something goes wrong during shipment, it's not approved (I always used to forget about those damn Tantals and the 30 inch rule). I'll have to think about how to handle future requests for SNs.

kemasa
11-11-2009, 6:58 AM
Yep, it is best to just say "no". I personally don't care to explain things to the DOJ or BATF, so I would rather avoid such issues and just wait until it arrives. It is not worth the risk and/or hassle to me, especially if there is a problem with the firearm and/or shipping.

tenpercentfirearms
11-11-2009, 9:40 PM
Seems like a weird and risky way to do it. Could put the dealer in hot water with paperwork if something goes wrong during shipment, it's not approved (I always used to forget about those damn Tantals and the 30 inch rule). I'll have to think about how to handle future requests for SNs.

All of the risk is on the CA FFLs end. I would just send the serial numbers and not worry about it.

The only way they can pinch you is if they come to do an audit and you have a DROS started for a gun that you don't have in inventory. They might deduce that you have already released it prior to the end of the ten 24 hour periods. I have no problem simply explaining the truth that the firearm still hasn't arrived as is evident by the firearm's absence in my A&D book and the paperwork is still incomplete, indicating it has not left the building.