PDA

View Full Version : Protest on Sacramento

TKoProductions
04-21-2005, 1:07 PM
I heard on KFI last night that 100 parents from Orange County (Costa Mesa in particular) were heading to Sacramento to protest Arnold’s misappropriation of tax money. Apparently he borrowed money that was supposed to be used for the Orange County school system and has yet to repay it.

It got me thinking; how come we gun owners can’t organize a protest like this? When Roberti-Roos was proposed, did we flood Sacramento to defend out rights? When SB23 was proposed, did we rush to Sacramento? When AB50 was proposed, did we…well you get the point. Instead, we all sat at our computers or desks writing letters. I think it’s pretty obvious that writing letters and making phone calls doesn’t accomplish a whole lot. Instead, we sit by semi-passively while our rights are being diminished.

Rather than protest new legislation, a lot of Californians have taken the route of just purchase whatever weapon is being banned prior to the passing of the law. But as was obvious during this last ban (AB50) many Californians just couldn’t afford the price tag. And what about the future of California? Our children? And their right to inherit our property?

Prior to many of these bans there has been a mad rush to flood the state with soon to be illegal weapons. Why can’t some of this energy be directed towards a protest? Why isn’t the NRA, for which we are paying to defend us, stepping in to help organization such an event?

And sure, the typical response is that California gun owners tend to be extremely passive. That there are many owners who only posses one firearm for self defense, they don’t hunt, they don’t compete in events or shoot for sport, and feel that gun legislation doesn’t affect them. Well, as obvious from the multitude of forums on the internet, I’m sure that there are more than 100 active gun owners in the Sacramento area alone.

If a group of soccer moms can organize a protest, than why can’t we?

TKoProductions
04-21-2005, 1:07 PM
I heard on KFI last night that 100 parents from Orange County (Costa Mesa in particular) were heading to Sacramento to protest Arnold’s misappropriation of tax money. Apparently he borrowed money that was supposed to be used for the Orange County school system and has yet to repay it.

It got me thinking; how come we gun owners can’t organize a protest like this? When Roberti-Roos was proposed, did we flood Sacramento to defend out rights? When SB23 was proposed, did we rush to Sacramento? When AB50 was proposed, did we…well you get the point. Instead, we all sat at our computers or desks writing letters. I think it’s pretty obvious that writing letters and making phone calls doesn’t accomplish a whole lot. Instead, we sit by semi-passively while our rights are being diminished.

Rather than protest new legislation, a lot of Californians have taken the route of just purchase whatever weapon is being banned prior to the passing of the law. But as was obvious during this last ban (AB50) many Californians just couldn’t afford the price tag. And what about the future of California? Our children? And their right to inherit our property?

Prior to many of these bans there has been a mad rush to flood the state with soon to be illegal weapons. Why can’t some of this energy be directed towards a protest? Why isn’t the NRA, for which we are paying to defend us, stepping in to help organization such an event?

And sure, the typical response is that California gun owners tend to be extremely passive. That there are many owners who only posses one firearm for self defense, they don’t hunt, they don’t compete in events or shoot for sport, and feel that gun legislation doesn’t affect them. Well, as obvious from the multitude of forums on the internet, I’m sure that there are more than 100 active gun owners in the Sacramento area alone.

If a group of soccer moms can organize a protest, than why can’t we?

ivanimal
04-21-2005, 1:19 PM
Pick a date I am there.

imported_DULLYJAY
04-21-2005, 2:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why isn’t the NRA, for which we are paying to defend us, stepping in to help organization such an event?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The NRA is only as good as its members. Any group with members who dont do much, is a group that will not get much done. We have to call our NRA head members to organize such things & go to the local meetings. I'm don't tring to bash you, because I don't do these things myself. Being a member of a group is more than just paying dues.

dave3006
04-21-2005, 3:02 PM
Good members are important to any group. However, leadership is the key. The NRA does not have good leaders. Guys like you and I are the foot soldiers. We need decent generals to direct a coherent strategy. Unfortunately, they are unwilling to step up to the plate. My proof? Tell me the following about their leadership in the once great state of Kali:

1. What are the NRA's top 5 goals for Kali?
2. What action plan have they layed out?
3. How has this been communicated to it's members?
4. Where are we in the process?
5. How is it working?

If they led, many would follow. Remember, they claim to be our leaders by the fact they hold certain titles within the NRA. They are just not doing the job. The proof is our lack of freedom.

Colonel Klink
04-21-2005, 5:31 PM
Put me on the "Notify" list. If I can make it I will be there.

Pthfndr
04-21-2005, 7:08 PM
When the state legislature had their open public hearings on SB 23, prior to voting on it, a big push was made on AR15.COM and IIRC TheFiringLine to get people to come to the capitol to speak out or at least make their physical presence felt at the hearing.

As I remember it, only about 20 showed up. I think 1 (that's ONE) person was given a chance to actually speak. (nice legislature huh)

Subsequently, after SB23 passed, the CA DOJ held public hearings to hear input on "AW Defining characteristics". Again a big push was made on the internet.

So many people SAID they would be there that at the last moment the DOJ moved the hearing from their regular office to a large auditorium. Maybe 100-150 people showed up (including me, my son, my EX wife and her new husband!) and the ARMED CHP security people OUTNUMBERED the public because of what they gleaned from the internet. After all the vocal "let's do it", I was extremely disappointed in the turn out.

At the hearings in L.A. I heard they had something like 200-300 people show up.