PDA

View Full Version : Out of all these weapons which woudl you keep and why.

Rob454
11-10-2009, 4:44 PM
Im thinking of taking my personal collection down to a few weapons this is what i currently have. i already sold a few pistols and shotguns.

Ruger P85 9mm
Ruger P90 45 cal
Savage 110 30-06
Mossberg 500 home defender
Mossberg Silver reserve
Politec m14 308
Yugo SKS

Already sold these (ruger XD beretta Taurus 44 and a Mossberg 500 combo)

Looking to condense down and only add a Saiga 12 shotgun to the collection once Im down a little. What i basically use the guns for is hunting either game or deer or pigs and shooting. Nothing long long distance. My longest shots are under 500 yards and either of my rifles can easily shoot that. both calibers will take down any game I go after. So keeping in mind what i use my guns for and that i do plan on getting a Saiga 12 what would you keep, sell and WHY.
I cant really make up my mind on what I wanna keep.i go shooting once a month pistols and maybe every 2-3 months or so rifles. Not due to anything but time restrictions

Thanx
Rob

jtv3062
11-10-2009, 5:08 PM
keep they m14, good solid rifle.

Ding126
11-10-2009, 5:13 PM
No one can decide better than you.

Miser
11-10-2009, 5:31 PM
What Id do:
Keep:
30-06 for all hunting.
silver reserve for upland hunting.
500 defender for home defense.

Sell the rest and get a 22lr for plinking.
If you have to have a saiga then sell the 500d as it will do the job of that one.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 5:35 PM
SKS.

ojisan
11-10-2009, 5:40 PM
The P90 'cause it's a .45 and you just may need something that fits under a shirt or in a belt holster someday.
The Savage 30-06 for all hunting.
The Mossy combo, I would have kept, HD or in the field, it does it all.
The M14, if it's reliable, for zombies.

jamesob
11-10-2009, 6:47 PM
out of those the only one i think is worth keeping is the polytech. all the others off em.

slik556
11-10-2009, 8:44 PM
Hell keep them all, You anit got enough yet....

freakshow10mm
11-10-2009, 8:46 PM
Ditch everything but the .308. Get a decent handgun and a .22 LR rifle.

Cokebottle
11-10-2009, 8:58 PM
keep they m14, good solid rifle.
+1

If you are narrowing down to one handgun and one long gun, I would normally say keep the P90 and the Mossy 500 as they are best suited for home defense... but if you'll be adding the Saiga 12 to the arsenal, then I'd keep either the .30-06 or the M14 for sporting purposes.

Anything smaller than the .45 isn't going to do the job if you are charged by dangerous game (and even the .45 may be marginal.) I wouldn't want to rely on the the P85 to save my skin even for something as small as a mountain lion.

If you are concerned only with target shooting and home defense, then the 9 will do the job... human targets give us the advantage that they are a bit more emotional and will tend to yield after a minor injury (assuming not hopped up on meth), while an animal is only going to be more pissed off without a debilitating hit.

IMHO, any collection should begin with, and never be pared down to less than, (and in this order) a handgun in .38sp/9mm or larger, min 20ga shotty, and finally a long rifle. The potential defensive need for the handgun or the shotty outweighs the desire to have the long rifle for hunting/sporting... unless of course you rely on hunting to feed your family.

I've never heard anyone outside of active military say that they trust their life to an AR/AK/M1/etc... but not a week goes by that I don't hear someone say that they trust their life every day to their Ruger/Sig/Springer/Colt/etc...

Rob454
11-10-2009, 9:19 PM
Im basically debating selling the Ruger 9mm /with ammo the Savage /with ammo the SKS/with ammo stripper clips and all the little extra accessories stocks etc and the Mossy 500 / NO ammo after i get the Saiga.

Keep the M14 as deer rifle/SHTF the silver res as the bird gun ( can handle slugs also so in a pinch it can be a deer gun also and the ruger 45 cause its the same platform as my p85 and that has never given me a bit of trouble.

Im gonna make a decision in a few weeks
thanx guys
Rob

Black Majik
11-10-2009, 9:22 PM
Sell the P85 and P90. Pick up a G17. sell the O/U, sell the SKS. Buy a .22 rifle.

Rob454
11-10-2009, 9:39 PM
Does the Ruger 9mm being a P85 MK II make it a more rare model? I saw only one on gun broker going for 300$? The gun was a police buy back when i bought it

JustGone
11-11-2009, 1:48 AM
I'd keep the m14 as well

NSR500
11-11-2009, 3:06 AM
M14 = Proven platform since Vietnam and still relevant enough to be fielded today.

Bruce
11-11-2009, 4:01 AM
Keep the Savage 110 and dump the rest. Get a good .45 (1911), a good shotgun (870 12ga), and a good .22LR either pistol or rifle (Ruger 10/22 and/or a Standard Auto )

Fred Foobar
11-11-2009, 1:14 PM
With the cost of ammo, you should probably dump the Polytech or trade it for a Saiga 12 and a 10/22.

Purely a coincidence that I just happen to have a spare Saiga 12 and 10/22 laying around and am looking to trade for an M1A. :D

Seriously though, I'd narrow it down to have the basics covered first:
- keep either the 9mm or .45 pistol, (whichever one you shoot more) and sell the other (I'm not familiar with Rugers, but am a .45 man myself)
- add a 10/22 rifle for cheap plinking (also not as scary as an M14 when you are introducing other folks to shooting)
- some sort of bolt action rifle (I'd go with a 700 in .308, but since you've got the Savage you're set)
- one semi-auto rifle (I'd keep the Polytech and sell the SKS)
- one shotgun (besides the Saiga). I would've kept the combo and sold both the Silver Reserve and HD.

Now that the basics are covered, then you can start adding fun guns like the Saiga.

If ammo price is an issue, I'd sell the .45 and Polytech and keep the 9mm and SKS for the cheaper ammo. Having the same caliber for the bolt-action and semi-auto rifle would also be nice so you have an excuse to stock up on more of it. (This is for several guns honey, that's why there's so much of it.)

I really wouldn't sell anything if I didn't have to or have more than one filling the same role. Guns aren't going to get any cheaper, so it would be hard to replace one for the same price you bought it for.

torsf
11-11-2009, 1:42 PM
I'd keep the m14, 500, the 30-06, and then the pistol that you prefer.

Why?
500 - cheap to pick up, and if you use it to defend yourself, it wouldn't hurt to lose, plus you could put different barrels on it for hunting
30-06 - Assuming this is scoped, you can hunt most anything in NA with it.
M14 - your zombie/self defense semi rifle

If you don't like your current crop of handguns, I would keep one of the two, and then go rent a few different models. Find a new one that you like, and then trade/buy it.

Rob454
11-11-2009, 3:12 PM
I
500 - cheap to pick up, and if you use it to defend yourself, it wouldn't hurt to lose, plus you could put different barrels on it for hunting
t.

This 500 is the HD model. it has the 9 shot tube so it cant take the long barrel unless I go buy the parts to switch it to the combo model and at that point I might as well buy one.

Ive basically decided to keep the pistols the M14 and the silver reserve. The 9mm is not worth selling I dont have a case and only one mag which is a factory 15 round mag. I guess if i add in the 500 or so Winchester and Blazer brass I have for it it would make it worth selling. I like my 45 and I have a ton of ammo for it also. The rugers feel good in my hands and Im accurate with them. There are better guns out there but Im ok with the ones I got.
Im probably gonna sell the Savage with ammo 500 HD, the SKS and the ammo . Maybe the 9mm with ammo also. That should give me more than enough money to buy a factory stock saiga shotgun. i don't really want a converted one at least not yet. if i cant sell the guns I have Ill just save up and get a Saiga shotgun. Factory ones are not that expensive.

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 3:48 PM
Hmm.... not worth selling?

If you were to sell the Ruger (with the mag disassembled or blocked to 10 rounds), how much would you want for it?

CSACANNONEER
11-11-2009, 3:55 PM
Ditch everything but the .308. Get a decent handgun and a .22 LR rifle.

He speaks the truth.

pennys dad
11-11-2009, 3:58 PM
one of my M1a1 and Glock 17

Stormfeather
11-11-2009, 3:59 PM
Ruger P85 9mm Keep
Ruger P90 45 cal
Savage 110 30-06
Mossberg 500 home defender Keep
Mossberg Silver reserve
Politec m14 308 Keep
Yugo SKS

Rob454
11-11-2009, 4:15 PM
Hmm.... not worth selling?

If you were to sell the Ruger (with the mag disassembled or blocked to 10 rounds), how much would you want for it?

i have no idea.

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 4:28 PM
i have no idea.
I see what you mean... I checked Gunbroker and they're at anywhere from $150 to $350 (with no bids and only 14 hours left on the $150)... he's got a BIN of $400 and a reserve, so anyone wanting a P85 for $150, I don't think this is the one ;)

Rob454
11-11-2009, 5:00 PM
yeah for 150$ i rather keep it and keep shooting it. its really not a big deal. I just don't shoot as much as I used to with my rifles and I told myself if I stop shooting them then I sell them.
Really that simple. I started to liek the Saiga shotguns and I really wanna downsize to a few guns that i enjoy shooting rather than a bunch of guns simply to say I have a bunch of guns
I rather give it to a buddy of mine who simply cant afford a gun to protect his family than to sell it for 150$.

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 5:11 PM
yeah for 150$ i rather keep it and keep shooting it. its really not a big deal. I just don't shoot as much as I used to with my rifles and I told myself if I stop shooting them then I sell them.
Really that simple. I started to liek the Saiga shotguns and I really wanna downsize to a few guns that i enjoy shooting rather than a bunch of guns simply to say I have a bunch of guns
Ya... that's how I ended up with over 10 guitars. Each one has it's own particular style for a particular style of music, though a couple of them will cross over.

I finally gave in and sold one of the "metal machines" about 10 years ago, and last year let the Les Paul go (sold it back to the guy I bought it from in '93). The LP wasn't that much different from a couple of others, but I kept it tuned to open G and left the low-E off for playing Stones and BadCo tunes.

One that I keep saying I'll never let go is my G&L S500 in blueburst with Moto pickguard, but honestly... I haven't touched any of them remotely halfway seriously in over 10 years, and if someone were to offer me $1000 for it, I'd probably bite.
The rest of them are worth anywhere from $300 to $600. All have hardshell cases except the bass and one of the acoustics, and all but the acoustic-electric, the bass, the two G&Ls, and the Strat have Seymore Duncan pickups. The Strat is one that I built myself... it's got a set of gold Lace Sensors.

Being out of work and having BRD, I really would love to sell some of them, but don't want to deal with shipping.

bruss01
11-11-2009, 6:29 PM
Can't believe you sold off the XD, IMHO about the best poly pistol ever made.

Keep the Mossy 500 def, and the M14 if it works reliably and shoots well.

I'd keep some guns to fit in with the upscale hunting club, even if it's not what you're into RIGHT now, may come a day you wish you had them back.

Rob454
11-11-2009, 8:38 PM
Can't believe you sold off the XD, IMHO about the best poly pistol ever made.

Keep the Mossy 500 def, and the M14 if it works reliably and shoots well.

I'd keep some guns to fit in with the upscale hunting club, even if it's not what you're into RIGHT now, may come a day you wish you had them back.

Well I basically gave it to my best friend This guy and I have been friends since about 8 years old. he joined the navy and I gave it to him whenhe graduated. And Im simply not a huge poly pistol fan. hence I have a ruger p90 and a p85. i jsut recently sold a Ruger P345 poly frame to a member on here. I can easily get another XD. Little harder to get a friend like my buddy.
None of my guns really are in a upscale hunting club league. I guess the OU cause its a OU. I just like it cause its easy for shooting. Although a remington 870 hunting shotgun and some cash would make a easy trade LOL but the OU is easy to shoot.
If I got the saiga I was actually planning on selling the Mossy.
S*8t now im freaking confused again.

Ill make a decision by the end of the weekend.

M1A Rifleman
11-12-2009, 2:55 PM
Keep the 14, dump the rest. :D

cudakidd
11-12-2009, 3:25 PM
The problem is each persons tastes are different and so are the shooting sports we each like. NOTHING on your list would be kept by me.

I would have yet another completely different list since I shoot Skeet, Cowboy Action Shooting, Bianchi and Tactical small bore...