PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant + Shooting = Bad for baby?

bubbagump
11-10-2009, 1:57 PM
My lady friend is pregnant. She goes shooting with me a lot. She could take a mans head off at 400 yards if she wanted to :D

So can she still go shooting (rifles or shotguns), or is this somehow bad for the baby?

I'm thinking the exposure to lead is more harmful than recoil, sound, etc...

What do you guys think?

Noobert
11-10-2009, 2:00 PM
Better not, wait until the baby is out

blikeandy
11-10-2009, 2:01 PM
Yeah it's not good for the baby.

gun toting monkeyboy
11-10-2009, 2:02 PM
According to our OB/GYN, it is only an issue if you aren't taking the normal precautions for lead (i.e. washing your hands, not eating/smoking at the range, etc...) or during the last trimester when the baby's ears are already developed. My wife went shooting several times during the first 2 trimesters. No ill effects on the kid so far. She is 7 now.

bubbagump
11-10-2009, 2:13 PM
According to our OB/GYN, it is only an issue if you aren't taking the normal precautions for lead (i.e. washing your hands, not eating/smoking at the range, etc...) or during the last trimester when the baby's ears are already developed. My wife went shooting several times during the first 2 trimesters. No ill effects on the kid so far. She is 7 now.

Sweet. Thanks for the info...

Barney Gumble
11-10-2009, 2:14 PM
Why take the chance?

Henry47
11-10-2009, 2:25 PM
totally not worth it. if something WERE to happen, could you honestly say to yourself "i tried my best to prevent it"?

having a glass of wine while pregnant PROBABLY won't do anything either, but is it worth the chance? not in my opinion

Vanguard
11-10-2009, 2:26 PM
Yeah, my wife is pregnant and she's staying home until the baby is born. She'll miss about 10 range trips. :p

galekowitz
11-10-2009, 3:00 PM
My wife shot an IDPA match at five months pregnant. Of course I loaded her mags for her like a gentleman. Baby "mags" (maggie) is just fine. Open air range and no extensive ammo handling should really reduce the risk to the baby.

fearmonger
11-10-2009, 3:28 PM
Don't do it. That's what happened to me.

Turbinator
11-10-2009, 3:54 PM
Have read previously that there are no ill effects, seems largely to come down to a personal choice.

Turby

Mstnpete
11-10-2009, 4:00 PM
Good to know!

I think the baby will grow up liking guns! :clap:

First words out of the baby's lips.... gu-guns :)

Jonathan Doe
11-10-2009, 4:08 PM
My wife really never shot, but she came to my shooting matches a lot even at the later stages of pregnancy. I have 3 healthy children, and all of them are exellent students without any problems. 2 of my sons shoot competitively, also.;)

paul0660
11-10-2009, 4:12 PM
Supersonic shock waves in the womb? If the government did it you wouldn't go along with it.

zcrehan
11-10-2009, 4:17 PM
IMO no good.

Baby cannot wear eyes and most especially EARS.

Sound travels faster through liquid, I don't know what the womb is rated for decibel wise but when all you have to do is wait.... Why risk it?

I seem to remember someone here posting about going shooting while pregnant and after touching off a round the baby would go berserk kicking and thrashing.

kwest10
11-10-2009, 4:27 PM
Firing line won't allow it.
Watched the staff argue with the couple. Man said "i'm a doctor and it's ok".
Mgr was professional and said, policy is there for a reason. I am NOT a doc so I'm not going to debate medical terminology but it IS our policy.

Mickey D
11-10-2009, 5:19 PM
Good to know!

I think the baby will grow up liking guns! :clap:

First words out of the baby's lips.... gu-guns :)

Or perhaps......Pew pew :D

wilit
11-10-2009, 5:21 PM
Our OB said to wait also. The sound may be too much for the baby. HOWEVER!!! For our shower, we received a video called the "happiest baby on the block." It basically shows how to kick in reflexes of a screaming baby to calm them down. One of the items in the video says inside the womb, the baby hears white noise similar to having a vacuum inches from your ear.

Given that bit of information, I have to wonder how much detriment shooting will do to a baby.

kermit315
11-10-2009, 5:26 PM
me and my wife fell into the "why take a chance" camp. Not worth the risk, in our book.

pontiacpratt
11-10-2009, 5:28 PM
my .02
The baby is in a fluid sack. How do loud sounds sound in a pool? Just sayin'
I'd be more worried about shrapnel/ricochet/ Dummie that accidentally points a gun at your wife and shoots.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 5:31 PM
Between the sound, shockwave, burnt powder, and lead/other chemicals, I'd say wait.

sirnonz
11-10-2009, 5:57 PM
i won't risk it.

Bagger
11-10-2009, 6:13 PM
i wouldnt chance it

Fire in the Hole
11-10-2009, 7:02 PM
Do not do it. Reasons: recoil, percussion, airbore lead particles.

Even female LEO's that are pregnant are exempted from range training for the 3 reasons I have listed above. No government agency wants to write a check with lots of zeros on the end for a female that suffered a miscarriage, and the fetus tested positived for lead, or was born deaf from percussion, or any other birth defect.

Let me repeat in case I was not clear enough.

NO!

Angie
11-10-2009, 7:05 PM
There were a couple threads about this in the ladies forum with a lot of great information

bigstick61
11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
My mother went to the range when she was pregnant with me, even shooting my dad's .44 Magnum. Didn't cause me any issues, certainly not hearing ones; I actually have much better hearing than average for someone my age, which must explain my major sensitivity to sound when i was a kid.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
My mother went to the range when she was pregnant with me, even shooting my dad's .44 Magnum. Didn't cause me any issues, certainly not hearing ones; I actually have much better hearing than average for someone my age, which must explain my major sensitivity to sound when i was a kid.

This is like people who point to 90 year old smokers. Just because you are okay doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.

Clayface
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Me thinks the drive to the range is more dangerous than shooting but why not just play it safe and wait?

Mitch
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
There were a couple threads about this in the ladies forum with a lot of great information

Are dudes allowed to read that forum?

DarkHorse
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
If she holds off on range trips, that'll be a good excuse to save money for a new gun.

Ross
11-11-2009, 3:09 PM

Wait till she becomes a teenager, then you'll start wondering if you were correct. :D

justin_5585
11-11-2009, 3:27 PM
According to our OB/GYN, it is only an issue if you aren't taking the normal precautions for lead (i.e. washing your hands, not eating/smoking at the range, etc...)

Somehow I think the smoking is worse than the lead for a fetus... ;)

joepamjohn
11-11-2009, 4:54 PM
My lady friend is pregnant. She goes shooting with me a lot. She could take a mans head off at 400 yards if she wanted to :D

So can she still go shooting (rifles or shotguns), or is this somehow bad for the baby?

I'm thinking the exposure to lead is more harmful than recoil, sound, etc...

What do you guys think?

You are asking a bunch of Neanderthals in a gun forum about what "they think" about the safety of a pregnant woman shooting guns???

This is F**king unbelievable. :eek:

This is no doubt the most insane post I have ever read (and there are lots of them here)

Here is some advice. Consult a DOCTOR to answer your questions and then consult a psychologist for asking health and safety questions for a pregnant woman and unborn baby in a gun forum.

kermit315
11-11-2009, 5:03 PM
You are asking a bunch of Neanderthals in a gun forum about what "they think" about the safety of a pregnant woman shooting guns???

This is F**king unbelievable. :eek:

This is no doubt the most insane post I have ever read (and there are lots of them here)

Here is some advice. Consult a DOCTOR to answer your questions and then consult a psychologist for asking health and safety questions for a pregnant woman and unborn baby in a gun forum.

Well, if you cant be polite, why didnt you just not answer. God forbid he ask a question that is very common among married/dating shooters without fear of being chastised by you.

Thank you for gracing this thread with your presence....now why dont you chill out.

joepamjohn
11-11-2009, 5:17 PM
Well, if you cant be polite, why didnt you just not answer. God forbid he ask a question that is very common among married/dating shooters without fear of being chastised by you.

Thank you for gracing this thread with your presence....now why dont you chill out.

Last I saw Dr.OZ is not not a regular in these forums. If you want potential and serious health questions answered then consult a Doctor, and not a gun forum. This person is about to put his "lady" and thier baby into a possibly dangerous environment based on what the replies are to his post. If I am "chastising" him then maybe he will get the point.

You can thank me later.

kermit315
11-11-2009, 5:24 PM
and to think that some of those replies are based off what a doctor told them.

Like I said, if you cant be polite, just dont answer. Your not his father, and its not your place to chastise him, or anybody else on this forum for that matter.

ETA: Dont hold your breath on the thanks either.

joepamjohn
11-11-2009, 6:08 PM
and to think that some of those replies are based off what a doctor told them.

Like I said, if you cant be polite, just dont answer. Your not his father, and its not your place to chastise him, or anybody else on this forum for that matter.

ETA: Dont hold your breath on the thanks either.

Hmmm, You are right..I am not his father, nor are you mine, so quit with the lecture session. :TFH:

The funny thing here is that you are ok with this guy getting his questions answered in this forum, and then him taking his lady to the range to shoot because "RAMBO123" said his momma did it with him, and he is still ok.

Go ahead and give the OP's original post another read. He is asking the members if this and that is ok to do when pregnant. I am voicing my opinion and LOUDLY saying no it's not ok, since no one in this forum is qualified to give him a legitimate answer unless you are a Doctor or OB/GYN.If you want help with a reloading question or where to buy an OLL then this is the place to come, not the place for OB/GYN questions.

This is priceless stuff, you just can't read this anywhere else.

kermit315
11-11-2009, 6:18 PM

Have read previously that there are no ill effects, seems largely to come down to a personal choice.

Turby

Our OB said to wait also. The sound may be too much for the baby. HOWEVER!!! For our shower, we received a video called the "happiest baby on the block." It basically shows how to kick in reflexes of a screaming baby to calm them down. One of the items in the video says inside the womb, the baby hears white noise similar to having a vacuum inches from your ear.

Given that bit of information, I have to wonder how much detriment shooting will do to a baby.

Hmmm, You are right..I am not his father, nor are you mine, so quit with the lecture session. :TFH:

The funny thing here is that you are ok with this guy getting his questions answered in this forum, and then him taking his lady to the range to shoot because "RAMBO123" said his momma did it with him, and he is ok.

Go ahead and give the OP's original post another read. He is asking the members if this, and that is ok to do when pregnant. I am voicing my opinion and LOUDLY saying no it's not ok, since no one in this forum is qualified to give him a legitimate answer unless you are a Doctor or OBGYN.

This is priceless stuff, you just can't read this anywhere else.

Yep, ol' rambo is on the loose again with his bad advice. Are you a doctor, because if not, your opinion is worth no more than anybody elses here. That being said, you choose to talk down to somebody, while attacking anybody else in this thread as "Neanderthals".

Maybe we should just put a post on the front page that says to only ask questions approved by you. Then you wouldnt have to deal with the neanderthals so much.

joepamjohn
11-11-2009, 6:27 PM

So can she still go shooting (rifles or shotguns), or is this somehow bad for the baby?I'm thinking the exposure to lead is more harmful than recoil, sound, etc...

What do you guys think ??

"Neanderthals" including myself was a tongue in cheek way to remind the OP who he is his asking these questions to. This is not an episode of "The Doctors", this is a gun forum. I voiced what "I think", now move on.

No, I am not a Doctor. And you are right, it is only opinions (including mine) that are being voiced here. That is the problem. No real medical knowledge being offered. Take the risk if you want. I'm out of here.