PDA

View Full Version : I will be going to NV soon. Any issue bring my AR?

cyrus
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I will be going to NV soon from CA. Any issue bring my Colt HBAR Elite AR? Or more likely coming back?

bwiese
11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
No issues going to NV. Coming back...

1. As long as your rifle is not listed, you're OK (Colt "AR15", Colt "Sporter", "Sporter Target" and "Match Target" are all banned by name. If it's another Colt you're OK, as it's not listed.

2. As long as your configured feature suite is OK in CA now, as well as on your return back into CA, you're OK.

3. Enjoy your visit to a free country.

lomalinda
11-11-2009, 7:39 AM
Forgive the slight re-direct, but in the case of a guy coming from out of state with a listed and unregistered AR to be used at a competition, is his only option to fly in with it, go straight to the range and back to the airport for departure?

In other words, the non-CA resident cannot drive from Vegas to the shoot and return without fear of some variant of the Dominguez mishap, right?

Dr Rockso
11-11-2009, 8:38 AM
Forgive the slight re-direct, but in the case of a guy coming from out of state with a listed and unregistered AR to be used at a competition, is his only option to fly in with it, go straight to the range and back to the airport for departure?

In other words, the non-CA resident cannot drive from Vegas to the shoot and return without fear of some variant of the Dominguez mishap, right?
AFAIK no one has really tested that yet.

MasterYong
11-11-2009, 8:50 AM

Thread-jacking makes baby jesus cry, and causes the undue suffering and eventual deaths of dozens of kittens.

Please think of the kittens.

Maestro Pistolero
11-11-2009, 8:50 AM
You are good to go here in Nevada. You can drive around with it in your car (mine's in the trunk), with a loaded mag inserted, nothing chambered, as long as you are not hunting.

I am unaware of any California exception for competition or training. If there are any, someone please advise, there is a class or two in CA that I may want to attend.

bwiese
11-11-2009, 9:43 AM

Pretty much - and I'd even question that - coming thru an airport.

In other words, the non-CA resident cannot drive from Vegas to the shoot and return without fear of some variant of the Dominguez mishap, right?In theory he could drive straight in & out. No overnights, no side shopping trips, etc.

It really is best used for a defense. And the shooting match must be formally sanctioned by a recognizable organization - which means the Lower Hayward Roller Derby League Memorial Tin Can Shoot doesn't count. So that essentially means a scheduled NRA or CRPA match.

I believe nobody should rely for daily conduct on the so-called 'AW competition exemption' because it's so poorly/vaguely written.

Also, this purported exemption does NOT exempt importation of hicap magazines.

There are urban legends that out-of-staters have applied/gotten short-term AW permits for "transit days surrounding the competition" but I am not sure whether these are apocrypha or not.

cyrus
11-11-2009, 1:34 PM
I have it in a nice locked pelican case. If the Facists border guards request that I open the case, Can I Refuse?

Dr Rockso
11-11-2009, 1:41 PM
I have it in a nice locked pelican case. If the Facists border guards request that I open the case, Can I Refuse?
We have border guards? I don't know what justification they could have for searching a pelican case, but they could probably think of something.

bwiese
11-11-2009, 1:44 PM

There are no border guards, wheredja get that crap from?

Drive with your rifle in a case, in your trunk.

cyrus
11-11-2009, 2:03 PM
Brother in Law from NV stated when entering CA they can search for fruit and such.

bwiese
11-11-2009, 2:15 PM
Brother in Law from NV stated when entering CA they can search for fruit and such.

Don't have fruit. Don't look like you have fruit.

If asked, "Are you bringing in any fruit?" say no.

Your right againts illegal search & seizure and 4th amendment rights are not waived for fruit & veggie inspectors.

lumwilliam
11-11-2009, 4:11 PM
If you have pre-2000 high cap magazines that were originally grandfathered in here in Kalifornia, then took them across to Nevada, I could imagine you might get busted coming back. If you're going to a shooting event, I've heard stories of CHP officers ramping up their "random stops" when they know a gun show or shoot is wrapping up and lots of CA residents are coming back across the border.

edwardm
11-11-2009, 6:03 PM
If the CHP, or any other LEO, were to do that, it would make for an interesting case.

Possession of pre-2000 standard caps is not prohibited.

Importation of standard caps is prohibited, but assuming all ducks are in a row and no other side issues arise, it's up to the State, not the defendant, to prove importation of non-pre-2000 mags. That's made even a bit more difficult for the State as the law specifically allows re-importation of standard cap mags possessed in CA pre-2000.

If you have pre-2000 high cap magazines that were originally grandfathered in here in Kalifornia, then took them across to Nevada, I could imagine you might get busted coming back. If you're going to a shooting event, I've heard stories of CHP officers ramping up their "random stops" when they know a gun show or shoot is wrapping up and lots of CA residents are coming back across the border.

bwiese
11-11-2009, 9:30 PM
I go to/from NV all the time with guns & hicap mags without worry.

leitung
11-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Dont work about the agricultural inspection station.... Jeez...

They don't know the first thing about weapons laws and they don't care.. All they care about is that you are not bringing in a box of apples from Utah.. K?

Thank you..

Josh3239
11-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Besides, the fruit inspectors let most cars go. If they do stop you they just ask if you have fruit. And that is only for entering CA not leaving.

lumwilliam
11-20-2009, 9:45 PM
I find it hard to believe that if I were pulled over by CHP with hi-caps in my trunk coming back from Vegas, they would buy my story that I originally took them out of the state and am just bringing them back in. Isn't that still importation?

Lone_Gunman
11-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I find it hard to believe that if I were pulled over by CHP with hi-caps in my trunk coming back from Vegas, they would buy my story that I originally took them out of the state and am just bringing them back in. Isn't that still importation?

It really doesn't matter what they "believe". The law says what it says and it is not open to interpretation by the CHP. This is not to say that there would be no legal hassle but you would be on the right side of the law. And for God sakes why would you go so far as to let the CHP look in your trunk anyway? As has been said here time and again memorize this phrase. "I respect the fact that you are doing your job officer, but I have nothing illegal on my person or in my vehicle and I do not consent to any search of either my vehicle or myself." Seriously. Don't tell them you have a gun, legal or otherwise in the car. If you do then they have probable cause to check and make sure it's not loaded. If asked if you have a gun or weapon either lie (it is not illegal to lie to any officer except a federal officer who is conducting a federal investigation) or say "I have nothing illegal on my person or in my vehicle" and be done. They may not like it. They may be pissed off and threaten to bring in the drug dog. They may try to bluff and bluster but at this point we still enjoy 4th amendment protection.

/rant

Josh3239
11-21-2009, 12:07 AM
I find it hard to believe that if I were pulled over by CHP with hi-caps in my trunk coming back from Vegas, they would buy my story that I originally took them out of the state and am just bringing them back in.

If you truly feel that way then don't bring the hi caps.

Isn't that still importation?

It doesn't meet the definiton according to the DOJ.

Liberty1
11-21-2009, 7:45 AM

Feel free to lock them in a suit case and don't open it. And you should carry a recording device for all police contacts all the time anyway.

pullnshoot25
11-21-2009, 8:06 AM
You do have the right to remain silent. So act like a mute and don't answer any questions.

vega
11-21-2009, 11:34 AM
You do have the right to remain silent. So act like a mute and don't answer any questions.

Coupled with hand signals.

SteveH
11-21-2009, 4:35 PM
Only issue i ever had taking guns to nevada was hotel security checking car trunks as you entered the property.