PDA

View Full Version : Burro Canyon - Private Range

rudeboyrc
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I am thinking about renting one of the private ranges at Burro Canyon for a small group of friends. The range available for the date is Tac1b.
I tried a search for some of the info/photos for what I am looking for but I could not find much regarding the private range. And the map on the website is a little hard to decipher. Any photos would be a big help.

Can anyone tell me if their private range has covered shooting benches?
Can you drive your car up to the private range?
Recommend any necessities besides eyes, ears, arms, ammo and targets?

Thanks for the help.

CAL.BAR
11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Yes - Tac 1b has two tree shaded shooting benches. (actually most of them have shooting benches, but 1B is the only one I know of w/ trees.) I was there on Sat. and had a great time. About an 80 yd range.

Can't recommend it enough. Book early though. I called for a range 3 weeks out and got the last one.

Mail Clerk
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
The last time I was up there with a buddy they're benches they had were more like tall picnic tables and are ill suited for official "bench rest shootin". Unless they made significant improvements since then any tables ( NOT COVERED ) available are more low buck versions they secured from where ever they found them. Besides that the ranges are not marked so you would have to measure the yardages yourself before you do any shooting. I don't know if they rent to allow private shooting. When you drive up your walking distance isn't much but officially you can't drive right up to the actual range. For your personal stuff I recommend eyes, ears, arms. They sell ammo and targets although the ammon can be a little high. Good luck:-)

Mail Clerk

zcrehan
11-10-2009, 11:18 AM
The last time I was up there with a buddy they're benches they had were more like tall picnic tables and are ill suited for official "bench rest shootin". Unless they made significant improvements since then any tables ( NOT COVERED ) available are more low buck versions they secured from where ever they found them. Besides that the ranges are not marked so you would have to measure the yardages yourself before you do any shooting. I don't know if they rent to allow private shooting. When you drive up your walking distance isn't much but officially you can't drive right up to the actual range. For your personal stuff I recommend eyes, ears, arms. They sell ammo and targets although the ammon can be a little high. Good luck:-)

Mail Clerk

This.

Guns R Tools
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Can anyone tell me if their private range has covered shooting benches?
Can you drive your car up to the private range?
Recommend any necessities besides eyes, ears, arms, ammo and targets?

Don't expect much coverage from trees.
Bench is more like wooden picnic table with plank seats in either side. It's one piece unit so you cant adjust seat.
Yes, you can drive right up to the private range and park it there. You can load/unload gears with ease.

Bring your own table or mat for prone shooting. Bring chairs for table/bench.
Drinking water, and water to wash the hands or baby wipes.
They only have porta-potties for restroom purpose.
Target stand: you can bring your own PVC or wooden framed ones or you can rent the target stands. They charge $10 to check out a frame. If you bring it back undamaged you get $8 back. They prorate damage to the frame.
Maybe a sunshade like EZ-up type setup, or hat.
Clay targets set up on berm can be fun.

Make sure your ammo passes magnet test. No steel targets.

I prefer private bays. You call your own break, controlled rapid fire is ok.

Have fun.

rudeboyrc
11-12-2009, 5:36 AM
Thanks for the responses!

SeanCasey
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I will add the right now Tac1B works has pretty good coverage from the trees. I was out there last weekend and there was enough shade all day that I didn't even get a tan. During the summer months the sun is higher up and the shade is less.

Tac1B is one of my favorites, but gets a bit crowded when you get more than 6-8 people.

rudeboyrc
11-14-2009, 7:31 AM
Ended up with Tac1C yesterday with 5 shooters. Perfect with 4 on the line and 1 running the line.
It was pretty well shaded. There was one metal picnic bench - not really set up to shoot from. But, we brought our own tables.
The only hang up was the 25 minute wait both up and back at the road closure about 3 miles from East fork Road. I don't know if they run the flagman on the weekends.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yi5K3LSWSuh6yxR8mOosDg?authkey=Gv1sRgCKv1ts70mKb5N w&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NSLI7xgH0inMhBt95IpfyA?authkey=Gv1sRgCKv1ts70mKb5N w&feat=directlink

Alan Halcon
11-15-2009, 8:57 PM
Tac 6 is great. Its all the way in the back and has a shade structure built

Alan