PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis welcomes California firearms company

rp55
11-10-2009, 9:36 AM
California loses another business but this one makes firearms so Sacramento is probably glad to see the evil, no-good, profit hoarding capitalists depart. I'm sure Assemblyman Kevin de León is glad the rotten scoundrels are leaving.

Rapid City Journal (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_0e03a0f6-cc1e-11de-8bd4-001cc4c03286.html) (South Dakota).

STURGIS -- The Sturgis Industrial Park is getting a new tenant.

Bar-Sto Precision Machine, a firearms company based in Twentynine Palms, Calif., plans to relocate to Sturgis next year.

The company, which manufactures replacement pistol barrels, firearms accessories and high-end custom firearms, is building a 6,000-square-foot building and will move in by September 2010.

Bar-Sto employs 10 people at its California plant, and chief executive officer Irv Stone said three or four of those workers might move to Sturgis. Three-year projections call for Bar-Sto to bring 18 jobs to Sturgis.

Mayor Maury LaRue said before the groundbreaking that Friday ended a four-year project that featured many entities working together.

"It's nice that this happens in tough economic times," LaRue said.

LaRue said Sturgis is positioning itself as a precision manufacturing park. He said other gun manufacturers and the Sanford Undergound Laboratory at Homestake in Lead provide spinoff opportunities.

HUTCH 7.62
11-10-2009, 9:41 AM
Damn that Sucks another firearm manufacters gone with the winds of change. But do you blame them this place we call home is hostile to bussiness' And it's got to be twice as hard to run any firearm related bussiness in the PRK

Reminds me My dads armalite AR-180 was made in Costa Mesa back in the 70's.

Dirtbiker
11-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I know it is advantageous to move out of Ca but Sturgis???

One winter there will do those 4 Ca employees in.

Unless they are all motorcycle nuts.

bwiese
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
That may compensate in small part for the Sturgis firearms mfgrs that filed bankruptcy.

Mitch
11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
South Dakota? I guess if you live in Twentynine Palms South Dakota is an improvement.

And Costa Mesa remains a great place to do business.

Fjold
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I know it is advantageous to move out of Ca but Sturgis???

One winter there will do those 4 Ca employees in.

Unless they are all motorcycle nuts.

Butch Searcy of Searcy Firearms Manufacturing in Boron, CA opened up a second shop in Sturgis.

audihenry
11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
A lot of states offer great incentives for business that CA just doesn't.

minuteman
11-10-2009, 3:38 PM
Take me with you!

Victory
11-10-2009, 3:43 PM

I wonder if there's any relation between this LaRue and the LaRue.

Oh, Mark...

-Vic

ar15barrels
11-10-2009, 6:26 PM
I guess Irv is a Harley guy.
Who knew?

bodger
11-11-2009, 6:15 AM
A lot of states offer great incentives for business that CA just doesn't.

Absolute truth. I run a small business here, the CA state government treats my company as if it were their own personal piggy bank. Local gov does the same.

I wonder what they'll do when they've ridden that horse to death and more buisnesses leave the state.

dfletcher
11-11-2009, 7:48 AM
Absolute truth. I run a small business here, the CA state government treats my company as if it were their own personal piggy bank. Local gov does the same.

In addition to the taxes and regulation in general, SF mandates that we pay about 9 days a year sick pay AND that we offer an incentive for employees to ride BART - and we have to administer the BART incentive program, so we're basically doing the admin work for the city on that program.

A friend told me years ago that SF is like an old whore - she dresses the same way, walks the same walk but doesn't realize she just ain't what she used to be and doesn't understand why business is bad. I think the same can now be said for California as a whole.

Jonathan Doe
11-11-2009, 8:00 AM
I have been to Bar-Sto twice for a tour. One less company to tour for new trainees at my office.:mad:

Mitch
11-11-2009, 9:27 AM
A friend told me years ago that SF is like an old whore - she dresses the same way, walks the same walk but doesn't realize she just ain't what she used to be and doesn't understand why business is bad. I think the same can now be said for California as a whole.

That's not a bad comparison.

In the postwar era, California was rich and progressive and an example of good government for the rest of the country, especially with regard to law enforcement and education. My father was a San Leandro cop in the sixties, and he said the differences were stark when he went back east to visit my mother's cop brother in Pennsylvania.

California also had excellent public schools and the finest state-supported higher education system in the nation. As late as 1980 (when I left high school) a semester at Cal State was only a few hundred dollars, almost free as far as I was concerned.

But after World War II California experienced a huge population influx from the rest of the country, both in terms of people and businesses, so revenues grew rapidly. It was relatively easy to be magnanimous and progressive, building schools and freeways everywhere and paying your police and teachers twice the national average, when so much money was rolling in. It helped that when the music finally began to wind down, in the seventies, we had a relatively parsimonious governor in the person of Jerry Brown.

But California is no longer growing rapidly, it can no longer afford what it used to be able to afford, but no one wants to really admit it.

This is not just a problem for California, it's a national problem. The postwar economic boom was completely unprecedented not just in the history of the United States, but in the entire history of mankind! It was an anomalous era of tremendous prosperity that living Americans regard as a birthright, though in fact we will never see it again.

This collective national myopia is simply more acute in California, which experienced the best of the boom, and was largely insulated from the wrenching economic adjustments of the seventies and eighties.

Still, I love California. I was born and raised here and have been all over the country and even lived overseas for a few years, and since 1991 I have kept coming back to Costa Mesa. If it costs more to live here and work here, well, that's the price of not having to live in Ohio or Texas or New Jersey.

The only thing that could drive me out of California is the crowds of people moving here from other parts of the country (they finally drove my parents out). But as long as I stay off the freeways and out of shopping malls, I don't seem to encounter them all that much.

Quser.619
11-11-2009, 2:04 PM
Wait until Silicon Valley fully collapses & Texas & other business friendly states begin to surpass California both economically & enjoy the boom of productive transplants.

mattja
11-11-2009, 2:58 PM
Things are not going to get better, not in the near future. Many large employers have adopted "Growth anywhere but California" policies, and while they may have a large home office in Silicon Valley, all the new jobs are bwing created out of state.

I also recently read that the Bay Area has had what amounts to virtually zero growth in the past decade. In reality, successful educated people are moving out and illegal aliens are moving in. The end result is zero growth, but the population is completely different.

SuperSet
11-11-2009, 3:13 PM
No offense to South Dakota as it's a picturesque state and nice people. But, you have a tradeoff when moving to a smaller, cheaper state as attracting quality talent can be difficult. My current company is headquartered in Bozeman, Montana and Bozeman was named Forbes number 1 small town in America or something like that multiple years running. Still, we've lost quality candidates since they didn't want to move to Montana due to lack of things to do.

robairto
11-11-2009, 3:34 PM
I wonder what they'll do when they've ridden that horse to death and more buisnesses leave the state.

They will suck it out of the public like they are doing now with fees/taxes/fines and ohh yeah. Lots more CHP officers to help collect it.

dfletcher
11-11-2009, 4:49 PM
California has yet to learn - or they don't care to learn - that you can not continue to stick it to the business community and expect them to keep ponying up the $$$.

My little analogy regarding CA was deficient in one aspect - failed to mention there's a prettier girlie across the way, just as there are other states competing for the business dollar.

bodger
11-11-2009, 6:59 PM
They will suck it out of the public like they are doing now with fees/taxes/fines and ohh yeah. Lots more CHP officers to help collect it.

Yep. And in the case of my business, (I'm a general building contractor), they will only pursue those of us who work completely legally.

It's easier to pick our pockets when we run our businesses correctly, because we place ourselves on the radar by having the necessary licenses, certifications, bonds, worker's comp insurance, etc.

Thousands of illegal aliens and illegal unlicensed "contractors" prosper in this state and continue to work with impunity. It's too expensive for the state to track them down and stop them, fine them, deport them, whatever.

I know, because I have turned in many of these people to the state and there has been no response or action.

The licensing board will occsionally conduct a sting operation and make a few arrests (with plenty of media on hand), but that's about it.

They make up for he lost revenue by taking more and more from the licensed guys every chance they get.

This state will lose a lot of good people in the next few years, myself included. And it won't just be gunnies fed up with bullet buttons and 10 round mags.

Mitch
11-12-2009, 5:51 AM
My little analogy regarding CA was deficient in one aspect - failed to mention there's a prettier girlie across the way,

Not for me there isn't. I only have eyes for California.