PDA

View Full Version : Buying at gun shows

rgs1975
11-09-2009, 8:45 PM
Say you buy a handgun at a local show from a dealer that is not local. When the 10 day prison term is up how can you get the gun? Do you have to drive to the dealers location for pickup? Can they ship it to a local shop so you can pick up easier? Do shops usually charge just to have a gun shipped to them?

Vinz
11-09-2009, 8:51 PM
you would have to work that out with the seller. Most shows will have a few local FFL's at there to take care of transfer transactions. They will take possesion of the gun, fill out all paper work and you go to them to pick up 10 days later.

vinz

bballwizard05
11-09-2009, 8:53 PM
and yes they will transfer to another ffl near you but that ffl will charge you a transfer fee most likely even if they dont do the paper work.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2009, 2:30 AM
You can either do all of the paperwork through the FFL that is selling the gun, and then drive to his location 10 days later to pick up your gun, or you can have the selling FFL transfer the gun right away to another FFL at the show who is closer to you and then do all of the paper work through that local FFL, and then pick up the gun 10 days later from that local FFL. The second way is the way it is done most often. The local FFL is going to charge you $50 or more plus $25 DROS for this service. If you do it this second way, like most of us do, then the selling FFL is not going to require any paperwork from you at all. You just pay the selling FFL for the gun and he transfers it to your local FFL. Your local FFL will have you complete all of the paperwork.

B Strong
11-10-2009, 6:24 AM
Say you buy a handgun at a local show from a dealer that is not local. When the 10 day prison term is up how can you get the gun? Do you have to drive to the dealers location for pickup? Can they ship it to a local shop so you can pick up easier? Do shops usually charge just to have a gun shipped to them?

Try to find a transfer dealer at the show that will handle the transfer, as close to your home base as possible.

If you have top have the gun shipped to your FFL, he will charge you a fee, unless you're a super customer.

krzgoat
11-10-2009, 7:44 AM
I know some people are going to say why wait right. But what I have done in the past when dealing with FFL that are a bit of drive is to purchase and pickup at the next gun show that will be more than 10 days out. I did this with Sonoma Firearms. Of course I live in an area where three guns shows are relatively close to me ~within 30 minute drive. And for a while I was going to one every 2 weeks or so.

As long as the next show was within 30 days. You can also like people said drive to their location. Two buddies of mine did that or get it handled with your local FFL.