PDA

View Full Version : Military transfer into California

Jarhead05
11-09-2009, 7:18 PM
I was wise enough to move out of California a month before I retired from the Marine Corps in 1992.

However...

My youngest, Mission Viejo-boen, is looking at a transfer to San Diego. He's active duty Navy. And he has a couple of ARs and several handguns that are not on the Kali approved list.

What can, and can't, he bring into the state? Magazines, too, I guess?

ke6guj
11-09-2009, 7:25 PM
handguns don't need to be on the Roster in order to be imported when moving or transfering to CA, as long as they are not AWs (no threaded barrels, detachable mags outside the pistol grip, VFGs, barrel shrouds, etc).

If any of the handguns are AWs or any rifle AWs would need tobe reconfigured into an non-AW configuration before being brought into CA, or he can get a Military Assault Weapon Permt and bring in his AWs. Any personally-owned large-capacity magazines would still need to stay out-of-state. Now, if he had owned those large-capacity magazines in CA at any time before 2000, then he could legally bring them back with him.

Quiet
11-09-2009, 7:27 PM
Prior to coming to CA, he can apply for a Military Assault Weapons permit. The permit will allow him to legal import "assault weapons" into CA.
Only firearms he currently owns can be listed on the permit and he can't add more once he has the permit & is in CA.
The permit has to be renewed yearly.
Once he is no longer on active-duty or has orders for another state, the permit will be no longer valid and he needs to export the "assault weapons" out of CA.

When moving to CA, he can legally bring in any handgun(s) that are not considered "assault weapons" (unless listed on his Military Assault Weapons permit) or SBS (such as Taurus Judge).

He can not legally import any large capacity mgazines.
So, he can store them out-of-state or dissassemble them into parts and never assemble them in CA and/or assemble them into permanent 10 round magazines.

Jarhead05
11-09-2009, 7:41 PM
Where does he apply for the Military Assault Weapons permit? Sheriff? AG?

Do you have a link to the information?

Pyro3
11-09-2009, 7:47 PM
He needs to talk to Terry at the DOJ firearms division. She seems to be a one woman show doing all the AW permits. I don't have a phone number for her handy but the mailing address is: Depatment of Justoce, Firearm Licensing and Permits Unit-MAWP, P.O. Box 981118, W. Sacramento, CA 95798-1118.
Mine took in excess of four months to process, so have him send it in as soon as possible.

Quiet
11-09-2009, 8:17 PM
CA DOJ BOF Assault Weapon Registration and Special Weapon Permits
Phone: (916) 263-8100
Fax: (916) 263-0790

Ross
11-10-2009, 8:43 AM
IIRC, he'll need a justification letter from his commanding officer.

Back in 2004, I tried this. My CO was willing but the 1 satr put a quash on it. Then too, I was already here.

Your son's best bet might be the bullet button route if the ARs are OLLs.

ChuckBooty
11-10-2009, 8:48 AM
It's very easy to apply. I called the DOJ and asked for the forms and received them within three or four days.

Decoligny
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Prior to coming to CA, he can apply for a Military Assault Weapons permit. The permit will allow him to legal import "assault weapons" into CA.
Only firearms he currently owns can be listed on the permit and he can't add more once he has the permit & is in CA.
The permit has to be renewed yearly.
Once he is no longer on active-duty or has orders for another state, the permit will be no longer valid and he needs to export the "assault weapons" out of CA.

When moving to CA, he can legally bring in any handgun(s) that are not considered "assault weapons" (unless listed on his Military Assault Weapons permit) or SBS (such as Taurus Judge).

He can not legally import any large capacity mgazines.
So, he can store them out-of-state or dissassemble them into parts and never assemble them in CA and/or assemble them into permanent 10 round magazines.

Technically, as long as he is still stationed in CA, under his original orders he is good to go. He is still stationed in CA under his current orders until he actually signs in at his next duty station. Therefore, if he is stationed in CA and receives orders to transfer to Texas, he is still covered under his original orders to CA until he departs CA on his way to Texas. His AW could be legally transported with him in his car if he chose to drive, or he could legally transport it as checked baggage if he chose to fly to Texas.

Jarhead05
11-10-2009, 3:13 PM
Thanks for all your help. CalDoJ has a package on the way to me.

I e-mailed CRPA two weeks ago with the same questions -- still haven't heard from them. And I'm a CRPA life member!

jaustin612
11-11-2009, 4:19 PM
Hey all. So I have a couple of questions. I tried calling the number posted above but no one answered a couple of days ago. Im stationed in Pendleton

1. Do the rifles I'm going to register have to be from my state prior me being stationed here, or, like for example, could I purchase a couple of stripped OLLs here, and register them as AWs?

2. Is it true I can do the registry only once, or can I go multiple times. I hope its the latter, my wifes gonna go apesh*t when she sees a half dozen or so OLLs just sitting on my work bench if I can only do it once

Stormfeather
11-12-2009, 2:01 AM
Hey all. So I have a couple of questions. I tried calling the number posted above but no one answered a couple of days ago. Im stationed in Pendleton

1. Do the rifles I'm going to register have to be from my state prior me being stationed here, or, like for example, could I purchase a couple of stripped OLLs here, and register them as AWs?

2. Is it true I can do the registry only once, or can I go multiple times. I hope its the latter, my wifes gonna go apesh*t when she sees a half dozen or so OLLs just sitting on my work bench if I can only do it once

Sorry Jarhead, this option was for when you are getting transferred here, not now that you are already here.

In response to your questions. . .

1, You cant go and purchase some OLL's and register them as AW's, trust me, if that was the case, I would have quite a few already! :D

2, registry only works once. As said, its for the weapons you will be bringing into the state with you upon PCS Orders. Once your orders end, or you get PCS'ed back out of state, you have to remove those weapons from the state as the Military AW Permit will then expire. If you ETS while in the state, then once again, the MAWP expires as well.

ChuckBooty
11-12-2009, 6:20 AM
Sorry Jarhead, this option was for when you are getting transferred here, not now that you are already here.

In response to your questions. . .

1, You cant go and purchase some OLL's and register them as AW's, trust me, if that was the case, I would have quite a few already! :D

2, registry only works once. As said, its for the weapons you will be bringing into the state with you upon PCS Orders. Once your orders end, or you get PCS'ed back out of state, you have to remove those weapons from the state as the Military AW Permit will then expire. If you ETS while in the state, then once again, the MAWP expires as well.

Not quite true. A military member could have been stationed here for YEARS and simply have kept his AW's in storage in his home state. Now he's ready to bring them over and he can go ahead and file for the exemption at this time.

So technically...if someone has five or six lower receivers in another state and in in storage, he could then apply for the exemption and transfer them into the state. Once that's done, he can slowly build them however he wants (since anything other than the lower receiver is considered simply "parts".

jaustin612
11-15-2009, 4:41 PM
Hmmm, I see some wiggle room... I'm gonna give the number a call tommorow and see whats up. I've asked 4 separate people and have gotten 4 separate answers, some say only one time, others say theyve done it multiple times, some just don't care at all. I won't break any rules, I just don't particularly like the bullet button I got

EDIT: this is where the whole OLL thing gets tricky, I mean what the hell is a stripped OLL defined as anyways, as it has the capability to be made into Super evil AW of death or CA compliant rifle? What would be so illegal I were to buy a couple of em, bring them back to my home state while Im on leave, build em up and bring em back as registered AWs? I mean, it sounds shifty but as far as technicalitys are I don't see that being illegal.

Man I swear if I was rich I'd have a whole freakin team of gun savvy lawyers standing by for situations like this.