PDA

View Full Version : rust on sks

fred1814
02-08-2005, 7:30 PM
i went shotting last weekend and i didnt clean my rifles till today. thats 10 days ago and all of the rifles and guns were a little dirty, cleaned them no problem. but the sks barrel was rusty. i spent a good time cleaning the rust out. thats the only rifle i used wolf ammo in. i guees i better clean my rifles that sameday that i use them

i just want to vent

dont get me wrong i like cleaning my guns and rifles and drinks some beers

thanks

fred1814
02-08-2005, 7:30 PM
i went shotting last weekend and i didnt clean my rifles till today. thats 10 days ago and all of the rifles and guns were a little dirty, cleaned them no problem. but the sks barrel was rusty. i spent a good time cleaning the rust out. thats the only rifle i used wolf ammo in. i guees i better clean my rifles that sameday that i use them

i just want to vent

thanks

Rascal
02-08-2005, 7:37 PM
Freddie,
What kind of SKS and where was the rust, in the bore?

fred1814
02-08-2005, 7:49 PM
yugo and it was on the bore

bwiese
02-09-2005, 8:20 AM
Now y'all know why I like chrome-lined barrels.

;-)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
02-09-2005, 9:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freddie:

i just want to vent

thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shoot it some more, that should take the rust out! Then clean!http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Technical Ted
02-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I thought the Yugos had chrome lined bbls

rkt88edmo
02-09-2005, 12:09 PM
No chrome lining in Yugo SKS barrels.

Maybe the 'rust' was some leftover cosmo remnants?

fred1814
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
no cosmo, i shot it before and there never has been rust in there for

Leo762
02-09-2005, 8:30 PM
thats really weird, i know for sure that wolf ammo is not corrosive. what could have happened though, if the temp has been humid, the powder residue absorbed the humidity from the air and got all rusty.

I have never left a rifle that long uncleaned but i know a person that has, after a week it started to show small rust spots on the outside of the rifle, barrel could even be worse.

It really depends on where you live, i know people that live in AZ and NM and in the summer after shooting corrosive ammo they dont clean it for several days and there is no rust or anything.

Around here, if i dont wipe the powder off the boltface i can start seeing specs of rust just from that.

I know it feels really ****ty, i found out one of my nice M44 barrels had some pitting, it really got me down.

Technical Ted
02-09-2005, 8:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leo762:
thats really weird, i know for sure that wolf ammo is not corrosive. what could have happened though, if the temp has been humid, the powder residue absorbed the humidity from the air and got all rusty. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've seen that happen before.

About 10 years ago I sold a BHP to a friend that lived in house up in the Redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'd kept the pistol lightly oiled in the comparatively dry South Bay for years. After six months stored in his bedside drawer he noticed light rusting.

He felt so bad, he gave it back to me for my birthday. Haven't noticed any further corrosion.