PDA

View Full Version : Ammo and powder storage limits at home.

himurax13
11-09-2009, 3:51 PM
Is there a legal maximum limit of powder or ammo that can be stored at home? Is there a difference if you are at an apartment, condo, or single family home?

bigcalidave
11-09-2009, 4:05 PM
powder and primers yes, ammo no.
Someone will post the numbers here shortly.

tombinghamthegreat
11-09-2009, 4:07 PM
There is no limit on ammo but there are limits on how to store gun powder, mostly applies to reloading, someone will cite the penal code on it shortly

oops
11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
anybody?? I would like to know about the powder and primer max

Librarian
11-10-2009, 12:39 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2809398&postcount=6

Bottom line: From the CA Health and Safety code, 20 lbs of smokeless powder, or 5 lbs of black powder. But, no limit on primers or ammo.

NFPA 495 sets a limit of 10,000 primers (that would allow up to 50lbs of powder, as long as you keep it in a wooden box with 1" walls).

Cokebottle
11-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Apartment (or any rental property) would be 100% up to the management or owner.
Condo (that you own) would be governed by the CC&Rs... NOT the HOA board.
If the CC&Rs do not have any conditions on firearms and ammo, then the HOA board has no authority to place arbitrary limits on such beyond local ordinances.

For the most part... don't ask, don't tell.

motorhead
11-10-2009, 5:45 PM
MAY be limited by local fire codes.

choprzrul
11-10-2009, 6:07 PM
Is that 20 lbs total or 20 lbs of each type of powder? Is that on my property as a whole, or can I separate in different locations/buildings? Yikes, that isn't very much.

lumwilliam
11-11-2009, 5:06 PM
anyone seen the recent story down here in San Diego about David Morgan? He's charged with transporting his personal weapons down from Arizona illegally. The press is making a huge deal about the fact that he also possessed 200,000 rounds of ammo. His guilt, or mal-intent are being judged partially on the fact that he had lots of ammo.

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 5:14 PM
anyone seen the recent story down here in San Diego about David Morgan? He's charged with transporting his personal weapons down from Arizona illegally. The press is making a huge deal about the fact that he also possessed 200,000 rounds of ammo. His guilt, or mal-intent are being judged partially on the fact that he had lots of ammo.
Covered in another thread already, and yes, the press is making a big deal over the ammo because it is an impressive number (but not illegal), but he was arrested because he allegedly used false ID indicating residency in Arizona to purchase the guns and imported them into California.

Yes, they were his personal weapons, and I am aware that he SHOULD have the right to purchase any weapon in any state and bring it home, but until the SCOTUS rules otherwise, the BATF and DOJ have decided that he does not have that right.