PDA

View Full Version : my wife forgot her gun

PTMATTESON
11-09-2009, 2:36 PM
what is the shipping laws? my wife forgot her gun, at my brothers.( nor-cal) we live in so-cal. he went to fed-x and ups. one wouldnt even ship it. the other said it has to go to a dealer. is this true, even if, it's already in her name?

xxdabroxx
11-09-2009, 2:37 PM
Has to be overnight. Springfield armory sent my pistol right back to my door. Dont tell them what it is, just to avoid the headache. Tell them its machine parts or something.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-09-2009, 2:50 PM
Legally, he can ship it back to her. The two carriers that will take handguns are UPS and FedEx, but FedEx shipping rules require an FFL to be involved. UPS shipping rules allow for this kind of shipment, but some UPS employees don't know this. UPS requires that you ship the handgun using one of their "Next Day" services. UPS "Next Day Air Saver" is the cheapest option, but will still probably cost over $50. You also have to ship the package from a real UPS customer counter at a real UPS shipping facility, unless you have your own regular pickup account. The independently owned franchise "The UPS Store" places you see are not real UPS facilities and can't accept firearm shipments. If you use the online UPS web ship system to print up your own tracking label from your home computer, for some reason you tend to get less hassle from the UPS customer counter people than if you print up the shipping label using their system at the customer counter.

Jonathan Doe
11-09-2009, 3:41 PM
The firearms can be shipped to its original owner directly as far as I know.

00BuckShot
11-09-2009, 3:56 PM
IMO...just don't tell them what it is. (Maybe even disassemble it and call it parts.)

IrishPirate
11-09-2009, 3:56 PM
have them either leave off your name and just put in the address, or put their name on it and have them send it to themselves at your address. make sure it's dissassembled though. you're screwed if you left ammo though, that cant go.

Fjold
11-09-2009, 3:57 PM
true...so have them either leave off your name and just put in the address, or put their name on it and have them send it to themselves at your address. make sure it's dissassembled though. you're screwed if you left ammo though, that cant go.

I edited my answer because I found this:

From the BATF Firearms FAQs

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. [B]In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

socalgunrunner
11-09-2009, 3:59 PM
Here is the link to the UPS website that mentions firearms shipments: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

kajvid
11-09-2009, 4:05 PM
My daily UPS driver told me to break it down if you feel the need and use two packages. He suggested to skip the UPS rules and tell NO ONE it is a firearm. He said it'll get swiped by dock rats.

Not my doing....I'm just saying.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-09-2009, 4:12 PM
I edited my answer because I found this:

From the BATF Firearms FAQs

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. [B]In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

That BATFE FAQ is a bit misleading. Federal law only requires you to notify the common or contract carrier that you are shipping a firearm if you are shipping to a non-licensee in another State. Since the shipment we are talking about here is between two people in the same State, no law will be broken by not telling the carrier about the firearm inside the package. However, you would be breaking UPS company rules if you don't tell them you are shipping a firearm and could put your loss/damage claim at risk if the firearm is lost or damaged in transit.

§ 922(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

swerv512
11-09-2009, 4:32 PM
yeah, i too heard of shady UPS guys that would have packages of value not declared come up missing....

Sam .223
11-09-2009, 4:38 PM
if it were me i'd break it down and send it in 2 seperate boxes as parts.

Clayface
11-09-2009, 4:51 PM
I would say diffrent packages and stuff the parts in the guts of a build-a-bear and overnight it.

Blennidae
11-09-2009, 4:55 PM
I have never shipped a complete firearm, but when I have shipped a slide or frame (different occasions) I listed the contents of the package as "machined parts". I agree with the statement that stating its a firearm is just too likely to be stolen by the carrier.

AndrewMendez
11-09-2009, 4:55 PM
I would disassemble it. I had to send a gun back to S&W and I felt like a criminal when I told them what it was. You do not have to disclose what your sending, but they do have the right to search.

PTMATTESON
11-09-2009, 5:23 PM
thanks a bunch for all the info. you guys were a great help.

Clayface
11-09-2009, 5:30 PM
But to be serious I used to work at a ups and fed-ex shipping center for 9years. Your safest bet with what ever way you decide to go I would really recommend asking them to put it in a gun case and shipping it out locked . 2 boxes of seperate gun parts and one overnight letter with the keys in it.

Diabolus
11-09-2009, 5:46 PM
I would use FedEx, insured, and drop it off an an official FedEx location and tell them it's a firearm so you're covered if it is lost. I've sent all kinds of firearms using FedEx and have never had a problem.

cineski
11-09-2009, 5:52 PM
Never ever lie about shipping guns. Insure it if you must ship.

BlackViper
11-09-2009, 7:59 PM
While we're on the topic, can someone clarify for me about shipping to yourself in another state? I'm going back home to the farm in a couple weeks and don't want to take it on the plane with me. This is a long gun btw, not a handgun.

Trendkill
11-09-2009, 8:06 PM
While we're on the topic, can someone clarify for me about shipping to yourself in another state? I'm going back home to the farm in a couple weeks and don't want to take it on the plane with me. This is a long gun btw, not a handgun.

If its a long gun...you should be good to go....if its legal ofcourse.

rivviepop
11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Also, check another UPS location or even another clerk at the same place -- here in SF even at the main facility they won't ship firearms so you just take it to the one on South SF by the airport and they'll ship it without any problems at all.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2009, 1:22 AM
Also, check another UPS location or even another clerk at the same place -- here in SF even at the main facility they won't ship firearms so you just take it to the one on South SF by the airport and they'll ship it without any problems at all.

That's funny that you mention trying another clerk at the same place and SF UPS not accepting firearms, because I have never had problems shipping handguns at the San Francisco UPS facility on San Bruno Ave. at 16th Street. I believe it is the only UPS facility in San Francisco. The others are all "The UPS Store" franchises.

And the two U.S. Postal Service centers near my home and work refuse to ship firearms at all (long guns) even though it is perfectly legal and within U.S. Postal regulations. One Post Office guy is really polite about it and just says they can't take guns. I've tried to explain it to him, but there is a serious language barrier. The other Post Office guy is a total dick, and basically tells me I am lucky he is such a cool guy for not calling the Federal cops on me when I try to ship a rifle through the Post Office. He explains it to me real slow, like I am a retarded five year old. :rolleyes:

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2009, 1:26 AM

For a long gun being shipped to yourself in another State, you need to use the USPS or UPS. FedEx requires an FFL to be involved. If you are shipping a handgun to yourself, then UPS is the only option.

rivviepop
11-10-2009, 8:23 AM
That's funny that you mention trying another clerk at the same place and SF UPS not accepting firearms, because I have never had problems shipping handguns at the San Francisco UPS facility on San Bruno Ave. at 16th Street. I believe it is the only UPS facility in San Francisco. The others are all "The UPS Store" franchises.

I brought a small package of 50 mixed rounds of 45ACP to ship to a fabricator back east to the 16th/San Bruno facility once, all properly marked with the ORM-D label. The poor young girl's eyes went wide "you can't ship this!" right away.... "young lady, go get your manager please". *groan*

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Firearms must be shipped from a "hub". If you ship your gun to yourself, thats legit.
Now the OP, says his brother needs to ship to his wife. I think your brother will need to ship to an FFL.
When you send a gun off to a gunsmith or the manufacturer for service they can ship directly to the owner. Those companies are FFL holders. Thats where I think your gonna run into problems.
Now if you explain to your FFL what happened they might be able to help you out.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2009, 1:02 PM
Firearms must be shipped from a "hub". If you ship your gun to yourself, thats legit.
Now the OP, says his brother needs to ship to his wife. I think your brother will need to ship to an FFL.
When you send a gun off to a gunsmith or the manufacturer for service they can ship directly to the owner. Those companies are FFL holders. Thats where I think your gonna run into problems.
Now if you explain to your FFL what happened they might be able to help you out.

The OP says both parties are within California, so none of the Federal restrictions that require you to use an FFL come into play. And California law says handguns can be loaned to people "personally known" to you for up to 30 days without using an FFL. There is no need to get an FFL involved in this situation.

paul0660
11-10-2009, 1:50 PM
There is no need to get an FFL involved in this situation.

No need at all. Insure it and send it, after declaring it. Stuff gets lost even when the dock rats don't know what it is, and if you want to make a claim on a $1000 gun, you had better have mentioned it was one. Take a picture of it before you close it up just for grins. BTW, the part of the gun with the serial number is still a gun even when in pieces.

You can ship a gun (including handguns) to yourself in any state for hunting or for another "lawful purpose". Address it to yourself, care of someone else if need be. I think, but am not certain, that the gun has to be legal in the state you are sending it to. For instance, no regular cap mag pistols sent to California.

randy
11-10-2009, 7:21 PM
I don't think it is legal to ship a firearm to another person without involving an FFL.

Ship it to yourself at her address which is legal, then go visit her.

paul0660
11-10-2009, 8:16 PM
Randy, you are wrong, and I don't understand the rest of your post. Read some of the links in this thread. It is legal to send a firearm to another person intra state. It is legal to send a firearm to yourself anywhere in the country.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Assuming there is a law against everything really does hold us back from exercising our 2A rights.