PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Soft Armor Inserts???

Blk04SR
11-09-2009, 1:25 PM
So I have done a lot of homework and cant find a place to sell soft body armor panels (link below) like these to civilians.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/FAPC-LTA3A-or-GPA3A-Soft-Armor-Inserts-Set-P3062C45.aspx

I plan on buying the 5:11 tactical, Eagle, or Diamondbacks plate carrier with molle attachments.

SJgunguy24
11-09-2009, 1:27 PM
Try a police supply store. I got my vest at L.C. Action police supply.

Blk04SR
11-09-2009, 2:08 PM
Try a police supply store. I got my vest at L.C. Action police supply.

Looked at that one and galls, plus one other uniform place...all they have are vest...im looking for the NIJ level III inserts. 10"x12" or something like that.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-09-2009, 4:30 PM
try ebay

MIKE_the_MILITANT
11-09-2009, 5:26 PM
You could find a friend in the military or law enforcement who is sympathetic to your cause.

THT
11-09-2009, 5:38 PM
bulletproofme.com has BALCS/SPEAR cut IIIA soft armor however you have to call them.

Blk04SR
11-09-2009, 9:32 PM
I dont know about ebay stuff...I want new not used...

Where is bulletproofme.com stuff made?

BlackViper
11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
You probably don't want soft panels like that - you probably want BALCS/SPEAR cut panels and then leave your plate holders free for actual hard plates ??

Also, another vote for bulletproofme.

Blk04SR
11-10-2009, 7:09 AM
You probably don't want soft panels like that - you probably want BALCS/SPEAR cut panels and then leave your plate holders free for actual hard plates ??

well there are two options on plate carriers holds plates plus soft armor (10"x12") for level 4 NIJ or the you can the plate carrier and soft armor that will fit the the BALCS/SPEAR cuts as well.

Where is Bulletproofme.com made at?

krzgoat
11-10-2009, 7:32 AM
Bulletproofme has quite a few different products. All the rifle plates are made in the USA. Some of the soft armor is made in the USA like the ProMax line and some of it the ballistic protection is made in the USA and some of the covers are made in other countries.

For the BALCS / SPEAR Cut Ballistic Panels it doesn't say where they are made and says to call for more information.

Goldflex looks like it's made by Honeywell but I can't find anywhere that says it's made in the USA or not.

Aramid is made by Dupont from what I can tell but it doesn't say if it's made in the USA or not.

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Looked at that one and galls, plus one other uniform place...all they have are vest...im looking for the NIJ level III inserts. 10"x12" or something like that.

Call LC, they carry all of that stuff. Plates, carriers, vests. They will sell you anything execpt a gun and agency only items.

tombinghamthegreat
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM

I have seen the site but is there anyone that has bought from them before?

Blk04SR
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Bulletproofme has quite a few different products. All the rifle plates are made in the USA. Some of the soft armor is made in the USA like the ProMax line and some of it the ballistic protection is made in the USA and some of the covers are made in other countries.

For the BALCS / SPEAR Cut Ballistic Panels it doesn't say where they are made and says to call for more information.

Goldflex looks like it's made by Honeywell but I can't find anywhere that says it's made in the USA or not.

Aramid is made by Dupont from what I can tell but it doesn't say if it's made in the USA or not.

Ill have to do more homework on them thanks for the info.

Call LC, they carry all of that stuff. Plates, carriers, vests. They will sell you anything execpt a gun and agency only items.

What is LC?

Blk04SR
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM

THT bought from them before.

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
www.lcaction.com
LC action located in San Jose. You can call them or shop online.

Hayashi Killian
11-10-2009, 2:40 PM
You'll find far more suppliers of hard level IV plates than III/IIIA inserts, so you may be limiting yourself by doing this. Is there a specific reason, such as weight, that you're not going the IV plate route?

Blk04SR
11-10-2009, 3:47 PM
www.lcaction.com
LC action located in San Jose. You can call them or shop online.

They dont have 10"x12" soft armor inserts...

You'll find far more suppliers of hard level IV plates than III/IIIA inserts, so you may be limiting yourself by doing this. Is there a specific reason, such as weight, that you're not going the IV plate route?

Inserts I can get a bigger cut and add a plate in the front...i dont know. Plates will stop handgun rounds and prob more right but how man times?

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 3:51 PM
"Soft" rifle armor? That must be about 3" thick. Theres gotta be something hard to break up the round. Body armor is only allowed 12mm of penetration to be certified by the NIJ.

Hayashi Killian
11-10-2009, 7:41 PM
Plates won't break apart easily, and most good plates usually have a ballistic core behind them to absorb the shock of getting hit so you don't bruise as bad or break bones.

The point of ballistic armor is to protect you *should* you get shot. It's not there as a cure-all. The best protection is to avoid getting into a position where you will get shot. Seeking cover, avoiding unnecessary/disadvantageous skirmishes, and more should be a higher priority.

Blk04SR
11-10-2009, 9:50 PM
Well I was thinking along the lines of soft armor inserts level 3a nij and adding a rifle plate in front of it to get to level 4 nij...just some peace of mind thats all safety is in thought for this.

Hayashi Killian
11-10-2009, 9:55 PM
Honestly? You'd be better off trying to get a IIIA vest/plate carrier. That is, a vest that is IIIA-certified by itself and has carrier slots for IV or other plates. Trying to stick both IIIA inserts and IV plates into a carrier is asking for trouble (and a lot more weight).

THT
11-11-2009, 3:56 AM

I've spent over a grand with them. I forgot that I had a class to take and they expedited my order...great customer service :D

zchen
11-11-2009, 6:46 AM
greygroup training (http://www.greygrouptraining.com/)has Paraclete soft armor inserts (BALCS and concealment cuts).

Blk04SR
11-11-2009, 7:26 AM
greygroup training (http://www.greygrouptraining.com/)has Paraclete soft armor inserts (BALCS and concealment cuts).

Question is, do they sell to civilians?

Blk04SR
11-11-2009, 7:27 AM
Honestly? You'd be better off trying to get a IIIA vest/plate carrier. That is, a vest that is IIIA-certified by itself and has carrier slots for IV or other plates. Trying to stick both IIIA inserts and IV plates into a carrier is asking for trouble (and a lot more weight).

Ive kept that in mind too, who will sell one to a civilian though?

Hayashi Killian
11-11-2009, 9:57 AM
You can't buy Paraclete armor, that's restricted to DOD only.

Some of the sites linked to earlier by SJgunguy24 will sell to civilians. It's true that a lot of soft armor is restricted to LE/MIL/contractors. It's a lot easier to find plate carriers and IV plates or buy together as a set (see Crye Precision). You can try contacting Eagle, they may have soft armor for sale.

I'd suggest calling Bulletproofme and see if they have what we've talked about already.

I just realized, but no one's asked this question yet...what will this armor be used for? Is it meant for concealed use for everyday use, or for use in a BOB or something else, ...?

Ech0Sierra
11-11-2009, 5:35 PM
2nding the idea to get a separate ballistic vest, but here you go.
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-2825/SP3SAD019/Detail.bok

Blk04SR
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
tactical shooting drills

Hayashi Killian
11-12-2009, 5:07 PM
For shooting drills, just get a plate carrier and some IV plates. You can get a vest and plates from Crye for only around $2000 (and the platebags are MOLLE-equipped) Lighter and cheaper than finding a IIIA vest and sticking IV plates into it.

Now if you were going to enter combat with it, or were getting one in the event of combat, I'd say get the ballistic vest and plates.

Edit: If you want to talk to someone who has experience with Crye, contact JohnnyRooks. He may even know where to get them for cheaper.

lehn20
11-12-2009, 9:07 PM
Do NOT buy anything laminated! Stay with good old kevlar 129 made panels.
All the hybrid/laminated vests have a decreased shelf life. Sweating, heat cold, will decrease their stopping power. DONT BUY them.

Do your research

Blk04SR
11-13-2009, 9:45 AM
For shooting drills, just get a plate carrier and some IV plates. You can get a vest and plates from Crye for only around $2000 (and the platebags are MOLLE-equipped) Lighter and cheaper than finding a IIIA vest and sticking IV plates into it.

Now if you were going to enter combat with it, or were getting one in the event of combat, I'd say get the ballistic vest and plates.

Edit: If you want to talk to someone who has experience with Crye, contact JohnnyRooks. He may even know where to get them for cheaper.

Yeah that is what it is looking like.

Thanks for all your help people.

I was looking at this http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Fast-Attack-Plate-Carrier-P46C85.aspx