PDA

View Full Version : Retard at Oroville...

Spyder
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Totally forgot about this until just now.

Myself and a couple of buddies of mine went out to do some plinking at Oroville a few weeks ago. We get there, unload, staple our targets to our wood frames and wait for an all clear. Go out, set up targets, all clear again, proceed to shoot.

A few minutes later some douchebag down at the far right side just starts walking out to the berm to do god knows what with his targets. I was mid-magazine, the table to my right had just finished a mag and the guys to my left were consistently shooting clays. Busy day, every table was full, and the d-bag just decides to cruise his dumb happy little *** right out into the middle of the firing line.

Brilliant.

doc1buc
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Natural selection at its best

Bigballaizm
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Unbelievable!! I hope he was asked to leave...

Steyrlp10
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow -- he was oblivious to all the live fire around him?

I've seen that at Sharp Park when it was still open to the public. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't take note of range commands.

KaHuNaZ
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM

I've seen that at Sharp Park when it was still open to the public. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't take note of range commands.

maybe he had on some really really good hearing protection.

Tenamaxtle
11-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Is that people around Oroville still??

bombadillo
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Justifiable homicide??

WeekendWarrior
11-09-2009, 1:02 PM
WWRTW

bombadillo
11-09-2009, 1:13 PM
Yeah, seriously though if you're deaf you don't want to be shot either and would likely be right next to the RO if you're in that scenario. I work with a few deaf people and they're a lot brighter than that guy.

Spyder
11-09-2009, 1:23 PM
No RO at Oroville. It's a free public outdoor range that goes out to something like 550m.

Even if the jackass was deaf, he could have looked down to his left and seen a dozen people shooting. Eh, whatever. He was still there when I left and I didn't hear about any big newspaper stories so he musta lived.

Fjold
11-09-2009, 1:35 PM
Deaf people train themselves to look around at all situations, all the time. On the average they are much, much, more aware of circumstances around them than hearing people.

HAVOC5150
11-09-2009, 2:31 PM
Darwin award winner in the making

floogy
11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
What an idiot. "I'll just get my target, i don't think anyone wants to shoot me."

Norcalkid
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I am not surprised to see this thread at all. I used to go to Oroville about once a week. There are so many dumb asses out there I stopped going on the weekends. I just didn't feel safe there. From guys w/their guns pointed sideways on their bench to walking down range to firing when people are down range. There are better places to shoot in the area. I will still ocasionaly go there early in the morning but for the most part I avoid the place.

HUTCH 7.62
11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Oroville? I'm not surprised either

Steyrlp10
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Chit mon... I'll stick to fishing the lake instead of shooting at that range.

Rob454
11-10-2009, 5:33 PM

Well people are oblivious when the drive, walk, eat, awake, asleep etc. i dont see why it should be any different when firing a gun. back in the caveman days animals used to call those kinds of people food. These days we do everything we can to protect them. Seems like the dumber a person is the more legislation comes out to protect them. i think we call them democrats now

Cokebottle
11-10-2009, 5:36 PM
I have heard of this happening with people who are deaf. They cant hear any of the ROs instructions, nor people shooting.
You would think that people being in front of the yellow line with guns in hand would be a hint.

5spd
11-10-2009, 6:06 PM
It sounds like nothing has changed at the range.
I lived up In Chico and used that range a lot. I also stopped using it when I was living there due to people such as them and found a better spot above Chico to do my target shooting without the morons and trash they leave.

wboughton
11-10-2009, 7:14 PM
and where might that be?? Granted the oroville range isn't that far away from chico, if there was a closer place that I can get out to 500+ would be nice!

bruceflinch
11-10-2009, 7:43 PM
and where might that be?? Granted the oroville range isn't that far away from chico, if there was a closer place that I can get out to 500+ would be nice!

If you're lucky, you won't have to walk a target out to 500m, you'll have a 500m walking target!

WhoDares
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
There are better places to shoot in the area.

and found a better spot above Chico to do my target shooting

I've lived in Chico for 2.5 years now and I know of no other places to shoot free (or w/o a membership). Where are these places? Are they private lands?
Or maybe friends/relatives? Or are these spots you want to keep secret...you know....to (understandably)keep the riff-raff away.

I've been to Oroville a few times. It's ok, but kinda iffy when certain "elements" show up;)

pyro22
11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Well people are oblivious when the drive, walk, eat, awake, asleep etc. i dont see why it should be any different when firing a gun. back in the caveman days animals used to call those kinds of people food. These days we do everything we can to protect them. Seems like the dumber a person is the more legislation comes out to protect them. i think we call them democrats now

that statement is sig line worthy. Do you mind if I use it.

5spd
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
My spots were all up above Cohasset.
The place I used to go was down below the helipad. It was open to about 400 yards in that area, cant say for now as its probably all grown with tress & manzanita. Where all the roads meet.
The other place was around the radio tower and off to the left, that used to be pretty open when I lived there.
There was a fair 125 yard spot off to the right about 1-2 miles this side of the helipad, but got a gate across it due to morons dumping all kinds of trash/cars and crap there & not cleaning up. Then they started to just drive around the locked gates & still dumping trash....Idiots!
Lots of roads that shoot off the main dirt one that were open for good shooting, cant say for now though as its been 6 yrs since I left Ca. There are a few nut jobs that live in cabins up there that you should be wary of also.
This is all NF land, so make sure you clean up after yourselves.

Barbarossa
11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I've shot trap off off that Helipad. I was appalled at the amount of empty hulls that are up there.

Only so much 1 person can do picking all that garbage up.

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I do have a question on pickup.

What is the best way to pick up the clay debris? We always collect the empties as we go so we don't end up with the sun going down and 500 casings laying around, but picking up the clays is torture and if anyone has an idea of a more efficient way to do it, I'm all ears!

retired
11-11-2009, 1:09 PM
A vacuum cleaner with a very long extension cord.:D

Cokebottle
11-11-2009, 2:06 PM
A vacuum cleaner with a very long extension cord.:D
That's part of the problem... I'm already bringing half the desert home!

I think the biggest hassle is locating all of the wadding, which of course can be anywhere from halfway to the clay debris to well beyond it.