PDA

View Full Version : 200M Rounds of 40 cal for ICE?

M1A Rifleman
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I have not seen this one posted. The current issue of the American Rifleman mentions Winchesters 5-year contract with ICE, a Section of Homeland Security for the purchase of 200 million rounds of 40 cal ammo.

Why would one section of HS need so much ammo, how many people do they have in ICE ??? :TFH: :confused:

Since government contracts have a priority, this will tend to keep prices high and supplys low for the general public.

00BuckShot
11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
If you include academy cadets, re-quals and field agents, 200M rounds doesn't seem like that much. Only slightly more than a large county sheriff's office. Agencies buy in bulk quite often...they do burn through some rounds.

M1A Rifleman
11-09-2009, 10:08 AM
40 million rounds a year seem like an awful lot. Again, how many do they have in ICE, it can't be that many.

a1c
11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Doesn't strike me as that much for an LEA with 15,000 employees.

M1A Rifleman
11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
That would be 2667 rounds a year per staff - using your number of 15K. I think that is quite a bit of pistol ammo.

a1c
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
That would be 2667 rounds a year per staff - using your number of 15K. I think that is quite a bit of pistol ammo.

First of all, it's a 5-year contract, according to the press release. The 200M figure is a "maximum" number. Could be less.

Second of all, it's not my number, it's the official ICE figure.

And frankly 2,667 rounds over the course of 5 years per LEO doesn't strike me as that much. That's a ridiculously small amount of 45 rounds a month. This is most likely ammo that will be dedicated to the field (those are HP 135-grain rounds), and not training ammo.

M1A Rifleman
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
First of all, it's a 5-year contract, according to the press release. The 200M figure is a "maximum" number. Could be less.

Second of all, it's not my number, it's the official ICE figure.

And frankly 2,667 rounds over the course of 5 years per LEO doesn't strike me as that much. That's a ridiculously small amount of 45 rounds a month. This is most likely ammo that will be dedicated to the field, and not training ammo.

Its not 2667 over 5-years - its per year, per ICE employee. Not sure what your background is. The LEO's that I know don't shoot that much a year out of any of the weapons they are issued combined.

a1c
11-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Its not 2667 over 5-years - its per year, per ICE employee. Not sure what your background is. The LEO's that I know don't shoot that much a year out of any of the weapons they are issued conbined.

I see - I didn't realize you saw it was 5 years and no one, my bad. I used your number not realizing you already had divided it by five. EDIT: I had to re-do my math several times to make sure I got it right.

200M over the course of 5 years. That's 40M a year. Divided by 15,000 LEOs, that's 2666 rounds a year. Wait, that's only 222 rounds a month. So now I guess that's actually not that much.

Last year I believe the FBI awarded a similar contract to Winchester, totaling around 470M rounds in .40SW and 9mm.

Big D
11-09-2009, 1:38 PM
Keep in mind that it's not like every ice agent is going to be issued 2600 rounds a year. A lot of that ammo will be used in the academy where interns will be firing approximately thousands rounds during firearms training. Some of those people will never graduate so that will be a couple of thousand rounds that get issued, but don't figure into your estimate of 15000 agents. Those same interns will still have to qualify 2 more times during their first year of employment and be issued practice and duty ammo. And firearms instructors also do a lot of test firing of weapons on the range. Finally you don't expect an agency to issue out all their ammo do you? they are going to issue out enough for their agents to qualify and practice, but keep enough in reserve to arm everyone in an emergency

Vinz
11-09-2009, 9:24 PM
222 per month is light. We go through 300-400 in a weekend with the pistols.

Im sure they keep them busy around the Texas/Mexico border.

Godd for Winchester, keep them employee's working.
vinz

CalNRA
11-09-2009, 9:49 PM
I guess we won't see too many Winchester Bulk packs in 45 and 9mm anytime soon then, with their latest contract to make frangible training ammo for the .mil and all.

You know, it would be a shame if Winchester loads a fraction of the .40 cal ammo a little soft and we consumers have to take them off their hands... :D

Then it will give me an excuse to get a Glock .40.