PDA

View Full Version : Military Base Disarmerment - when did it happen?

not-fishing
11-09-2009, 8:37 AM
I was just wondering.

When did military bases become disarmed?

50's?

60's?

70's?

80's?

Is it another result of the Anti-Gun Establishment?

Will the counter-(60's) revolution not be Televised?

Ding126
11-09-2009, 8:46 AM
Not every soldier on base has a loaded weapon while on base. Usually the MP's and guards at the gates to the base. Thats been the norm for as long as I can remember.

Vacaville
11-09-2009, 8:49 AM
From my experience (I work on an Air Force base right now) there are always armed guards at the entrances and then MPs - that's it. When I was in the Army in the early '80s it was the same way. To access your combat weapons you went to the armory to check them out - and only got them when you were going to the range with your unit. Of course it's different if you are in a war zone. I don't know if there was ever a time when everyone walked around armed on a domestic base.

not-fishing
11-09-2009, 8:54 AM
The base guards are "civilian-rentals".

I had a friend to who worked for Vanguard Security for a number of years. He worked at Rancho Seco Nuke Plant. They had M16's & a armored vehicle (scout car) for anti-terrorist protection.

They used to play games on each other from boredom and because there was a lot of sleeping on the job. The standard trick was to remove the sleeper's firearm, remove the bullets and replace the firearm empty.

All I could see was a bunch of "Homers" guarding.

stormy_clothing
11-09-2009, 9:21 AM
the OP is somewhat annoying - do you expect everyone on base to be carrying around an m16 and if so for what reason exactly ? - The situation on friday may have been partially as a result of friendly fire in an crowded area - add rifle rounds to that and the loss of life might have been much higher still.

And in case you have'nt figured out the military is the "most" anti gun organization in the world not only is it supposed to ritualistically restrict access to all persons under there command and deter enemies from using thiers but when finally deployed generally begin to severely limit or remove all weapons from the enemy or occupied areas if possible so that those weapons cannot be exploited and used by the enemy.

The phrase "you will not fired until fired upon" comes to mind. - whereas a normal person isn't going to wait to be fired at.

Also as you might have read a police officer not a rent a cop stopped the event which is exactly what they are there for. And why they respond so that soldiers dont start shooting other soldiers accidentally. Imagine for a second a room full of people in uniform and imagine them all pull out there guns and start shooting at the perceived threat, suddenly everyone is the enemy.

Barney Gumble
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I was just wondering.

When did military bases become disarmed?

50's?

60's?

70's?

80's?

Is it another result of the Anti-Gun Establishment?

Will the counter-(60's) revolution not be Televised?

They have good reasons for what they do, it's not like they just flipped a coin and decided no one can carry.

Sniper3142
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I know that back in the 80's and 90's, no one could have a weapon or ammunition while on base unless they were:

- On guard duty
- Assigned to the Military Police
- At one of the firing ranges

And our guards were all Marines, no civilians guarding anything.

The "no weapons or ammo" thing was partly to keep folks from bring home ammo from the ranges. We could actually bring our pistols or rifles back to the barracks with us (usually for cleaning) but we could store or keep them there.

I didn't like it back then and I like it even less now.

Decoligny
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
In the Air Force, you can have a weapon in your home if you live on base. It must be registered so the First Sgt and the Security Forces will know if they have to respond to your home for a domestic disturbance.

If you live in a dorm, you can own a firearm, but it must be kept at the armory. You may check it out at anytime, as long as you take it from the armory directly to off-base. When returning on-base, you must take it directly back to the armory.

If you live off-base, and just work on the base, there are very limited instances where you can bring a firearm on base. If you are going directly to the rod and gun club to shoot skeet, or if you are passing directly through the base without any stops, you may bring your weapon on base.

Military bases DO NOT recognize CCWs from anywhere.

In the 13 years I have been at Edwards AFB, there have been 6 firearms related deaths that I am aware of.

Murder - Club manager shot in head and robbed when bringing money from Enlisted Club to Officer's Club.

Double Murder/Suicide - Young man at Enlisted Club shot friend in car in front of Club. Drove body to landfill and dumped it. Stopped by Military Police patrol unit. Officer shot in eye while asking for I.D. Man returned to dorm room and shot himself in head.

Murder/Suicide - Man held wife at gunpoint (AK-47) in base housing (domestic). Shot her and then himself.

There are guns on base, just not a whole lot of guns being carried around on base.