PDA

View Full Version : Gun laws for desert shooting

errorz
11-09-2009, 7:20 AM
I have done my best to search and read through various posts regarding gun laws in the desert (though most turn into FUD wars).

A group of my friends and I intend to go shooting out in BLM land near Barstow. Being that it wont be shotgun only, all legal weapons allowed correct?

Shooting is allowed as long as it isn't near structures and safely into a berm, etc.

LOC legal per campsite as a temporary residence rule? We will be camping next to where we are shooting.

Thank you in advance, again i'm sure this has been answered a million times, I just couldn't find a concise answer in the pages of nonsense in some of the other threads.

Ding126
11-09-2009, 7:25 AM
Don't shoot the cactus or joshua tree's They are protected.

joelberg
11-09-2009, 7:30 AM
It's pretty wide open. Call the local BLM office in Barstow area to confirm all special rules. I called my SD guy and he told me the best place to go to shoot out here in the desert under a nice oak tree the perfect range away from a cliffside to shoot into. He was very nice and wanted to make sure we knew everything and cleaned up our brass.

The BLM website has a list of specific rules on shooting, I believe you must be at least 25 (or 50?) yards away from a road, you cannot shoot across a road, you cannot shoot across a body of water, and you must have a suitable backstop (a small crest or cliffside is nice).

And definitely don't shoot the cacti or joshua trees, the eco-nazis AND the BLM dudes will get very upset at all gun owners if you do.

Southwest Chuck
11-09-2009, 8:21 AM
I have done my best to search and read through various posts regarding gun laws in the desert (though most turn into FUD wars).

Have you read Mudcamper's thread "Firearms in Forests and Parks" ? :confused:

It covers BLM lands and is located Here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457
A lot of good info there. :thumbsup:

Decoligny
11-09-2009, 9:12 AM

A group of my friends and I intend to go shooting out in BLM land near Barstow. Being that it wont be shotgun only, all legal weapons allowed correct?

Shooting is allowed as long as it isn't near structures and safely into a berm, etc.

LOC legal per campsite as a temporary residence rule? We will be camping next to where we are shooting.

Thank you in advance, again i'm sure this has been answered a million times, I just couldn't find a concise answer in the pages of nonsense in some of the other threads.

As long as San Bernardino County doesn't have any ordinances making discharge of a firearm illegal, and you are not within the city limits, then you can LOC pretty much anywhere in the desert. See PC 12031

errorz
11-09-2009, 1:59 PM
thank you all for the responses, will be calling the local BLM to find a place to shoot tomorrow!

Ironmany2k
01-24-2010, 5:11 PM
thank you all for the responses, will be calling the local BLM to find a place to shoot tomorrow!

ok, so let us know where there is a good area to shoot around Barstow.

Thanks, Jim

ColdDeadHands1
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
And definitely don't shoot the cacti or joshua trees, the eco-nazis AND the BLM dudes will get very upset at all gun owners if you do.

Don't shoot the cacti & Joshua trees because it's just wrong to do so, not because you will get busted for it.