PDA

View Full Version : Lost or stolen guns...

Centurion_D
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Is there a law requiring someone to report their guns lost or stolen?

jdberger
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I think that there's on in the City of Sacramento.

Cokebottle
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd have to look it up, but I'm 90% certain there is for handguns... which would be smart in any case because the serial number is connected to you, and if it is used in a crime, guess who immediately becomes a "person of interest"?

As far as a rifle, once again... even if there is no law, it is probably the smart thing to do, as your fingerprints are on it. The DMV has your thumbprint, and if you have ever been fingerprinted (DUI, state certification, etc...), then you are in the system and could later be connected to the gun.

OlderThanDirt
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Local governments with reporting laws include San Francisco, Sacramento, Bezerkley, Oakland, Lost Angeles, West Hollyweird, Thousand Joaks, Slimi Valley, Oxnerd and Port Hueneme.

Mike's Custom
11-09-2009, 1:00 PM
Yes, there is a federal law that requires stolen firearms to be reported within 48 hours of the DISCOVERY of the loss.

EDIT: Upon looking at the Fed laws I believe that law is for FFL licensees only. I have not found anything requiring a individual to report a loss. But, for legal purposes I would think it would be better for the owner to report the loss to stay out of some legal proceedings if that gun is later used in a crime.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-09-2009, 1:06 PM
:iagree:

bondmid003
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
If you have them insured like I do then it would behoov (spelling) you to report them stolen