PDA

View Full Version : F.I.R.E. & A.C.L.U. protect empty holster protest at Texas college

Liberty1
11-08-2009, 8:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/us/07brfs-COURTBACKSPR_BRF.html?_r=3&ref=us

Texas: Court Backs Protesters

Published: November 6, 2009

A federal court decision will allow students at Tarrant County College in Fort Worth to wear empty holsters next week during a protest over a campus ban on concealed weapons. Judge Terry R. Means of District Court in Fort Worth granted a temporary restraining order preventing the college from restrictions on a protest by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

Two students, Clayton Smith and John Schwertz, sued the college. The students say college officials prohibited them from handing out fliers from anywhere but behind a table on a student center porch and told them they could not wear empty holsters.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education and the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas represents the two students. A hearing is set for Nov. 16 in Fort Worth.

Window_Seat
11-08-2009, 9:04 PM
:popcorn:

kf6tac
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
It's interesting -- state ACLU chapters will sometimes square off against the national ACLU when it suits them. In Wisconsin vs. Mitchell (in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the constitutionality of state hate crimes statutes), Ohio ACLU filed an amicus brief for one side, national ACLU filed an amicus brief for the other. I love ACLU infighting :)

Dr Rockso
11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Several of the state ACLUs are unquestionably pro-2A. Too bad the national organization isn't going to come around any time soon.

Mitch
11-09-2009, 7:13 AM
Never mind the ACLU, the students were prohibited from wearing holsters? WTF?

ponderosa
11-09-2009, 8:19 AM

hahahahaha, yeah, haha. amazing how wacko things can get these days...

yellowfin
11-09-2009, 8:46 AM
It's going to be very, VERY satisfying to see campus carry pass and these administrators and professors be called to account for their opposition to it.

Mitch
11-09-2009, 9:09 AM
hahahahaha, yeah, haha. amazing how wacko things can get these days...

In Texas!

M198
11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
The thing about the ACLU's position on firearms has been that of the Supream Courts, that there is no individual right to keep and bear arms. Then Heller came along. It was the first time SCOTUS finally said, "yes, the second amendment does mean what it says". Now, if we can get it incorporated, it will mean that the ACLU might start representing gun owners in firearms lawsuits. Probably not though. The Texas case above is a free speech case, not a second amendment case.

mmartin
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM

'cause you know guns don't kill people, holsters do...:TFH:
megan

kf6tac
11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
The thing about the ACLU's position on firearms has been that of the Supream Courts, that there is no individual right to keep and bear arms. Then Heller came along. It was the first time SCOTUS finally said, "yes, the second amendment does mean what it says". Now, if we can get it incorporated, it will mean that the ACLU might start representing gun owners in firearms lawsuits. Probably not though. The Texas case above is a free speech case, not a second amendment case.

The national ACLU has already taken the position (on their website, at least) that Heller got it wrong, so they're not going to take any affirmative actions to help protect the Second Amendment rights of individuals.

http://www.aclu.org/2008/07/01/heller-decision-and-the-second-amendment/

They quote there from one of their own previous postings, which apparently has now been disabled. They make a similar assertion in their site FAQs (http://www.aclu.org/faqs#3_5), which links back to the same, now-disabled article wherein the ACLU said that they were basically going to ignore Heller.

nicki
11-09-2009, 1:18 PM
The National ACLU is anti gun, but chapters are starting to break away.

Perhaps the Texas chapter will be one of them, the Nevada chapter already has.

I don't know the structure of the ACLU, but the expected MacDonald ruling that the 2nd amendment applies to the 50 states will certainly cause more state chapters to break away from the national organization on this issue.

Nicki

kf6tac
11-09-2009, 3:51 PM
'cause you know guns don't kill people, holsters do...:TFH:
megan

Clearly they were carrying invisible guns.

7x57
11-09-2009, 3:56 PM
Clearly they were carrying invisible guns.

Invisible gun?!? :Ivan:

7x57

wash
11-09-2009, 4:04 PM
I can kind of understand the ACLU keeping out of the RKBA issue. We gun owners have our own organizations to fight that battle and ACLU certainly gets lots of donations from anti's.

I say let them stay out of it, we can take care of ourselves. I don't give a dime to the ACLU but if I'm ever involved in a non-RKBA civil rights case, I'll ask for their help.

kf6tac
11-09-2009, 4:14 PM
I can kind of understand the ACLU keeping out of the RKBA issue. We gun owners have our own organizations to fight that battle and ACLU certainly gets lots of donations from anti's.

I say let them stay out of it, we can take care of ourselves. I don't give a dime to the ACLU but if I'm ever involved in a non-RKBA civil rights case, I'll ask for their help.

Their financial and political motivation makes sense, as you say. What irks me about it is the sheer hypocrisy of claiming to be an organization that promotes "civil liberties" and then cherry-picking only those civil liberties that they like.

wash
11-09-2009, 4:22 PM
If their stance was not SCOTUS got Heller wrong but instead "we'll let the NRA handle the second amendment", I wouldn't care very much.

Just don't give them money, that's the answer. If they ask for money, ask them why they don't support second amendment cases. If they figure it out, I might support them even if they wouldn't directly support RKBA.

ZRX61
11-09-2009, 4:45 PM

They could have worn holsters for cordless drills/hammers etc ;)

Untamed1972
11-09-2009, 4:51 PM
Cool to see F.I.R.E in this deal....they wrote an article about me a couple of years ago regarding a 1A dispute I had with Univ. of Phoenix.

P.S. To anyone attening to UoP or thinking of attending.....they DO NOT believe in 1A at all! They believe in indoctrination not education. Free thinkers and patriotic Americans are not welcome. I just wish all the military personnel attending there on their tuition assistance and GI Bill money realized that.

The ironic part of my issue with them arose out of a verbal incident that occurred during a class on constitutional law. How can one teach constitutional law when they don't believe in it?