PDA

View Full Version : 3 Rings of death...XBOX

sspen003
11-08-2009, 8:38 PM
So I just got 3 rings of death yesterday. I spent a few hours today trying to fix it. I tried taking it apart and re-attaching the heat sinks to the processors with that silver heat stuff..I let it overheat but it still didnt work.

Any advice?

johnrunner89
11-08-2009, 8:40 PM
Send it in for repair. Thats what I had to do. If its just the red ring of death and you had it for less than 3 years microsoft should warranty the console free of charge.

SLYoteBoy
11-08-2009, 8:55 PM
Tried that myself , awesome thing is I bought it from GameStop (Arcade , listed as NIB). Go to get a warranty on it , they ask me the serial , she says its already been registerd. She said she couldnt tell me where exactly it was registered. I asked "well is it atleast in CA" she said no. Needless to say I dont buy at gamestop anymore. So I ripped it apart , removed , cleaned heatsink , put some artic silver on there. Still didnt fix it so I took the drive out , and trashed it.

wilit
11-08-2009, 8:57 PM
Call Microsoft. They have a 3 year warranty for free repair for the red ring of death. They repaired mine and shipped both ways for free. Can't beat that.

Turo
11-08-2009, 9:00 PM
I would have sent it in, but since you voided the warranty by opening it, they have kits you can buy that supposedly let you fix the problem. Google around to find a good one.

sspen003
11-08-2009, 9:00 PM
I wish I could just call microsoft. This is an old XBOX 360. I got it a few months after they came out. I have gad issues with it but not like this...

Damn this sucks, especially with CODMW2 around the corner.

I think I just hit up ebay

sspen003
11-08-2009, 9:01 PM
I would have sent it in, but since you voided the warranty by opening it, they have kits you can buy that supposedly let you fix the problem. Google around to find a good one.

Already tried those methods to fix it.

Arteel
11-09-2009, 9:17 PM
If you are reusing the X clamps, that's your problem. You need to replace the clamps with some screws and washers. Go to the hardware store and pick up (8) 10-32x3/8 panhead screws, 8 m5 washers, and 16 m5 nylon washers.

Remove all 8 studs that hold the clamps. Install the heatsinks on the board using the hardware you bought. Make sure you use the nylon washers on both sides of the board with the metal washer on top of the nylon washer in between the heatsink and board. Make sure you clean and apply some thermal compound on the gpu and CPU before you reinstall the heatsinks.

Now go ahead and reheat the board for about 10-15 minutes. I usually unplug the fan after 10 minutes until two lights flash, then unplug the console. Let cool and tighten up the screws again since there should be some slack after heating up the board. It should now flash green lights.

Sorry if I confused you. Send me a pm if you have any questions and I'll try my best to help you out.