PDA

View Full Version : Question for you FFL's

tacticalniko
11-08-2009, 5:50 PM
I purchased a used pistol from a private party. They used their FFL to ship it to my FFL. That was two days ago and I have since found another used pistol and rifle that I want to purchase here from a few Calgunner's. My question is; does the 30 day wait apply in my situation or can I do PPT's on these two other used firearms...like right now?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

lorax3
11-08-2009, 5:59 PM
If you conduct a true 'PPT' in person with you and the other Calgunner present at the FFL then the 1/30 day limit does not apply.

If the other person was going to ship the handgun to your local FFL then you would need to wait 30 days before you could DROS another one.

Q: Are you meeting this calgunner in person at a local FFL to do the transfer?

If yes, then you can buy the pistol now without worrying about the one per month issue.

Only handguns have the 1/30 issue. Long arms do not. You can buy as many rifles as often as you would like.

To clarify some terms, a private party transfer or PPT requires both the buyer and the seller to be present at the FFL that you choose. These kinds of transactions are 1/30 exempt. A firearm being shipped from another dealer is NOT a PPT and is NOT 1/30 exempt.

ke6guj
11-08-2009, 6:07 PM
The handgun you are having shipped to you will be DROSed to you as a dealer transfer, not a PPT, so the 30-day clock does start on that one.

Now, for your new deal, if the handgun is being shipped to your FFL, then it too is considered a dealer transfer and you would need to wait 30-days from the DROSing of the first handgun. If the seller is gonna meet you at the FFL, then you can do a PPT on that handgun without having to worry about the 30-day clock started by the first handgun.

For the rifle, it doesn't matter since there is no 1-in-30-day rule on long guns.

tacticalniko
11-08-2009, 7:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will be meeting the seller face to face. Now, i just got to check my savings acct.