View Full Version : M1 Garand help please

11-08-2009, 2:20 PM
I just recently bought an M1 Garand. I totally love it, but there are some kinks to work out. I'm VERY new to this whole thing. (Trained on M16's and M4's ect) Anyways I took it out to the range for the first time, properly lubricated in all it's appropriate spots and I'm using CMP M2 ball ammunition. It shoots just fine, but It jams like every 2nd or 3rd round. It stops like half way through the feeding process and I had to push the charging handle forward to send it home (once every 2 or 3 rounds).

I don't have the slightest clue as to what to look at first. From tinkering with it it looks like that the follower is pushing up too much on the bolt and prevents it from going forward? Thoughts on this... totally lost. I'm excited to learn more on the subject. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

11-08-2009, 2:21 PM
more lube.......

11-08-2009, 3:49 PM
Did you detail-strip it or just take the stock off? There could be untold piles of gunk in there. Soak and scrub all the metal parts in a good solvent, then re-lube. I really recommend that you use GREASE on all the major bearing surfaces, if you aren't. It lubricates better than oil and stays where you put it. Automotive high-temp. grease has always worked great for me and a $7 can will last you years, on all your guns.

Just for your reference, the bolt catching on the follower (in an empty gun of course) is quite normal. That is the source of the infamous "Garand thumb"; you pull the bolt back (but not far enough), it sticks on the follower instead of locking, and as soon as you touch the follower the bolt slams shut.

11-08-2009, 7:27 PM
I did just a basic field strip. The stock, the trigger housing group out, the bolt, & charging handle off. Nothing too crazy for a beginner is what I'm saying. So if I greased up the bolt would that help then? Where would all those critical points be? Is there a good website for good references on Garand stuff?

11-08-2009, 7:31 PM
The curio & relic forum here has some good info. The CMP's Garand forum is an even better resource for the rifle. You can find all the info that you need there.

11-08-2009, 7:37 PM

This sight has almost everything you need to know. A simple rule of thumb for metal on metal contact:

If it rotates, oil it. If it slides, grease it.

The CMP forums have a wealth of information as well.

When I got my Garand, I detail stripped it down to the last nut and bolt, and boiled each piece in an old cooking pot. Heat is the best and easiest way to remove cosmoline, the presertative grease, from an old surplus rifle. Oil the parts thoroughly before assembly to refill the pores of the parkerized surface. Your gun should run like new. If not, let me know where your at. There are some top notch Garand 'smiths in San Diego.

11-08-2009, 7:50 PM
1. What grease are you using?

2. Did you replace the oprod spring with a brand new spring?

11-08-2009, 7:54 PM
Find someone with a timing block and have the timing checked, it the timing is off have it fixed. Also have the clip spring checked as well.

Milsurp Collector
11-08-2009, 9:25 PM
Might be a weak/short op rod spring. Replacement springs from Orion 7 are very popular among CMP forum regulars http://www.m1garandparts.com/Garandparts.htm item G28a

11-08-2009, 9:30 PM
Might be a weak/short op rod spring. Replacement springs from Orion 7 are very popular among CMP forum regulars http://www.m1garandparts.com/Garandparts.htm item G28a

Orion7 parts are very high quality at a nice low price. I bought a couple op-rod springs, as well as a spring kit, pin kit, and screw kit... all of which fit nicely in the buttstock should SHTF.

11-09-2009, 6:00 AM
The reason why I asked about the oprod spring initially is because the CMP has been known to ship a rifle (not common) with a broken oprod spring.

Unless you break down the rifle and take the oprod off, you won't know.

As far as the timing block, timing is always a nice thing to check, but timing is the primary culprit for improper function when inserting a fully loaded enbloc clip.

11-09-2009, 6:28 AM
Before you replace any parts, you need to detail strip the gun and clean it up. Use oil for corrosion protection, grease for lubrication. One spot you definitely need to get is where the op rod rubs on the bottom of the barrel...... I use a small artist's paint brush to get just the right amount of grease into those tight areas on the receiver.

I've found Simple Green and hot water to work wonders with old Cosmoline and dirt. Once clean, you can either leave the gun in the sunshine or set it in the oven on "warm" to drive off the moisture from the parts. Then oil it up for corrosion protection and reassemble. Garands may initially be rather intimidating to take apart and reassemble, but they really aren't that difficult to figure out.

Where did you get the rifle? Was it a CMP rifle or from some other source?