PDA

View Full Version : AK as next purchase

Hunter4life1990
11-08-2009, 2:45 PM
yesterday i took a friend of mine to the cordova shooting center for her first time ever shooting and ended up having a first of my own, i rented the WASR 10 they had and loved it! so now im looking into buying buying an AK as my next purchase.does anyone have a good choice for a first time ak? (i have ar's already) nothing to fancy, somthing under $600 in either 7.62 or 5.45 flavor.only down side is im selling my sks to pay for it :( but its going to a friend so i never really loose it lol and he'll get to use the new toy.so if anyones got advice its much appreciated

thanks,
kevin

Flogger23m
11-08-2009, 2:47 PM
Get a Henderson Defense WASR, or a Romanian NDS-3 AK.

Those are probably the best things that will fit in your price range.

Or a Saiga, but I doubt you can convert it for under $600. But if you are good with tools/AKs, then you can convert it yourself.

supermario
11-08-2009, 3:00 PM
I say buy a SGL20\21 and your done. Its only a couple hundred more. Buying an AR sight and AR rail will cost more than the SGL!!

Hunter4life1990
11-08-2009, 3:04 PM
what about this?
http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=197&categoryId=17
would this be a good first choice?it fits my price range to

(if i dont have to id rather buy from a local store not online,ddoes anyone know af any FFLs in or near the sacramento area that sell aks?)

supermario
11-08-2009, 3:25 PM
what about this?
http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=197&categoryId=17
would this be a good first choice?it fits my price range to

(if i dont have to id rather buy from a local store not online,ddoes anyone know af any FFLs in or near the sacramento area that sell aks?)

For that price, thats a good AK to start with. Pretty much all ak's will work well, just depends on the quality you want. Here is another link to online vendor that has a variety at good prices.

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/category.sc?categoryId=132

I love this rifle and this is a nice AK.
http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=580&categoryId=132

professorhard
11-08-2009, 3:32 PM
+1 on an Arsenal SGL-21. Get it from Atlantic for $499 best deal out there.

SPUTTER
11-08-2009, 3:35 PM
This is the best AK you can buy and its within your price range.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17015&cat=353&page=1

Quiet
11-08-2009, 4:11 PM
K-Var will not ship to CA.
So, you will need to factor in the cost of shipping it twice and whatever fee a middle-man FFL charges to make it CA legal.

Atlantic Firearms.com
11-08-2009, 4:32 PM
FYI , we offer a wide selection of AK 47 fixed stock rifles and will ship them to CA with a Bullet button & blocked mag , we can not ship the Arsenal rifles to CA due to the ban from Arsenal & K-var but can ship to any other free state.

Atlantic Firearms.com
11-08-2009, 4:35 PM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/AARED.jpg

Hunter4life1990
11-08-2009, 4:38 PM
how much is that beauty?^^

Nate74
11-08-2009, 8:39 PM
Answered my own questions :)

hoozaru
11-08-2009, 8:50 PM
get a saiga 7.62x39 and convert it yourself

henderson is a very Cali friendly company and they ship fast, their certified WASRs should be good.

but I would stay away from WASR, just because f**k century arms!!!

Altantic may have some lancaster AKs, they are almost as good as Vector

CSACANNONEER
11-08-2009, 8:56 PM
You can build one on a NDS receiver for less than $500 (<$400 if you bend your own flat)! Find a local build party and learn just how simple they are to build and work on.

lomalinda
11-08-2009, 9:03 PM
"Find a local build party and learn just how simple they are to build and work on."

+1 for that idea.

CSA, how you been, man? Once my shoulder's up to it, we gotta hit Angeles again.

Gp100
11-08-2009, 9:19 PM
Since we live in California and the our 2A rights are under constant attack, I would buy quality. Spending $100-$200 more in the ak world can mean the diffrence between loose sloppy low grade ak and a solid nice one.

Lancaster or Yugo m70 its worth the extra cash.

lomalinda
11-08-2009, 9:37 PM
I agree with the poster recommending a high-quality AK.

Get a milled Arsenal SA-93 or SMA-7, etc. They're great guns and well worth the cash.

AM9000
11-08-2009, 9:59 PM
I have come to believe that all AK's work about the same... some just are nicer to look at and have slightly smoother actions. Its a personal judgment call that requires you to weigh your desire for the characteristics of "higher quality" Ak's with your attachment to your cash.

Recently the price drop of the Arsenal rifles makes them extremely desirable. You will have to figure out how to get one through a middle man or from someone in state that has done it already.

The WASR 10/63 will preform about the same as any of the higher price tag AK's mentioned above and can be cleaned up pretty easily.

DREADNOUGHT78
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
A few freinds of mine have Wasr-10s and they love them and I have seen them for around $425 you can have them shipped to JK Supply for the transfer.Try Henderson Defense or Atlantic Firearms.

AlliedArmory
11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
AK Fever. got my Vector and love it

mossy
11-08-2009, 11:23 PM
henderson defence is great with fast shipping. the shipped my wasr without a sling and cleaning rod, when i asked them about it they shipped me the missing parts free of charge.

Atlantic Firearms.com
11-09-2009, 4:09 AM
We can help you guys n gals out with a Milled AK complete with mag lock & blocked mag on sale $949.00 shipped for Cal Guns members.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/AKMILLED2009.jpg

CSACANNONEER
11-09-2009, 1:23 PM
I have come to believe that all AK's work about the same... some just are nicer to look at and have slightly smoother actions. Its a personal judgment call that requires you to weigh your desire for the characteristics of "higher quality" Ak's with your attachment to your cash.

My thoughts too. I have played with a few nice, milled action guns (BTW, I'm planning to try my hand at re-welds for my next two builds) and they are nice. But, the bueaty of AKs is that they don't have to be nice or have smooth actions to function flawlessly. No matter how much you spend on an AK, it'll still be JUST AN AK. It will not be capable of doing anything that my first, "S" shaped action, POS, homebuilt rifle does nor, will +95% of shooters be able to tell the difference when shooting a top of the line AK alongside my crappiest home built rifle. Build one first, it'll really help you understand how the work and what is really important on them an what is just for looks.

lomalinda
11-09-2009, 3:20 PM
"I'm planning to try my hand at re-welds for my next two builds."

Can't wait to go to the next party and see this being done!

Henry47
11-09-2009, 3:24 PM
henderson defence is great with fast shipping. the shipped my wasr without a sling and cleaning rod, when i asked them about it they shipped me the missing parts free of charge.

you're acting like they did you a favor by shipping the missing parts to you free of charge. how else were they supposed to have handled it? IMO, pieces shouldn't have been missing in the first place

lomalinda
11-09-2009, 5:30 PM
"you're acting like they did you a favor by shipping the missing parts to you free of charge. how else were they supposed to have handled it? IMO, pieces shouldn't have been missing in the first place."

I agree. I've had more than one instance of a gun that was improperly built or accessories left out, only to have the numnuts at the place of origin act like they were doing me a favor by rectifying their mistake.

Sometimes gun owners are way too underestimating of themselves.

LOL

Cobrafreak
11-09-2009, 5:42 PM
I'm getting a Saiga 7.62 and converting it with a MMG grip so I can still run featureless/drop mag.

audihenry
11-09-2009, 6:44 PM
Have one built. You won't find comparable quality unless you go really upmarket.

Trendkill
11-09-2009, 6:58 PM
I want an SGL-20.....

Hunter4life1990
11-09-2009, 8:02 PM
if i ordered the sgl-21 from atlantic what dealer near sacramento would accept the transfer?if anyone knows....

Stubby
11-09-2009, 9:14 PM
First, buy yourself a Saiga from Atlantic arms or whomever you like.

Second, Send it to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamic and have is basic California Conversion or his standard AK conversion with a Bullet Button and you are GTG.

If you do the basic California Saiga conversion you will have a fully functional AK worked up by one of the best AK gunsmiths and you can use all of your preban mags if you have them.

Price for the California conversion will put you well under $600 after all is done.

www.rifledynamics.com

CSACANNONEER
11-09-2009, 9:19 PM
First, buy yourself a Saiga from Atlantic arms or whomever you like.

Second, Send it to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamic and have is basic California Conversion or his standard AK conversion with a Bullet Button and you are GTG.

If you do the basic California Saiga conversion you will have a fully functional AK worked up by one of the best AK gunsmiths and you can use all of your preban mags if you have them.

Price for the California conversion will put you well under $600 after all is done.

www.rifledynamics.com

Why send it to anyone? There were a few Saiga conversions done at my last AK build party and they only took about 45 minuts a piece. I guess it only took that long because they had never done one before.

Hunter4life1990
11-09-2009, 9:22 PM
even if i get a saiga and convert it,does anyone know what ffl in the sac area will accept the internet transfer and dros it for me?

Dangerpin
11-09-2009, 9:51 PM
Call Robby at Golden State Tactical. He's a really good guy and very Black Rifle friendly.

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/info.html

ak shooter762
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
i have a wasr i got a few months back and its not many guns i would trade it for.(I LOVE IT) after i did a little wood work. i paid $560 /2 mags/cleaning kit/sling/4 mag pouch...it will spit out some money tho (BULLETS):43:

ak shooter762
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
got to show somebody

LesGrossman41510
11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Nice^ thats what im looking for. i want something classic though, what can yall recomend. I want the nicest finished wood AK that money can buy. No chrome or gold plating needed haha.

mossy
11-10-2009, 8:38 AM
you're acting like they did you a favor by shipping the missing parts to you free of charge. how else were they supposed to have handled it? IMO, pieces shouldn't have been missing in the first place

i know a lot of places that will tell you "to bad". i talked to the guy and he says that they get the rifles from centry and some times a part is left out.