PDA

View Full Version : shotgun transport laws

eccvets
11-08-2009, 1:00 PM
What are the laws about transporting shotguns in a car? do they need to have a lock on them? do they need to be in a case or can they be sitting on the seat next to me? can ammo be on the sidesaddle attached to the shotgun? can there be ammo near the shotgun while in a car? must it be locked in a trunk of a car?

I saw this on a website

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

tombinghamthegreat
11-08-2009, 1:12 PM
According to PC12031 and people vs clark you can have a unloaded shotgun where ever and have the ammo both in a side saddle and have a bunch of ammo next to the gun. All unloaded long guns can be open carried, concealed or put into a locked container.

Handguns since PC12025 makes concealing a handgun illegal, you can either open carry or put into any type of lock container than is not a glove box.

Another factor is school zones, which the firearm would need to be in a locked container if you are knowingly within 1000 feet of a school zone.

eccvets
11-09-2009, 12:29 AM
wait a min, so your telling me I can ride around with it on a gun rack in the back of my truck/car?

Brianguy
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
wait a min, so your telling me I can ride around with it on a gun rack in the back of my truck/car?
I was considering that a few days ago but I don't feel like getting shot by Deputies:chris:

Quiet
11-09-2009, 6:48 AM

Yes. It is legal to do so, as long as you do not drive in/through a school zone (1000' from a K-12 school).

GrizzlyGuy
11-09-2009, 7:12 AM
Yes. It is legal to do so, as long as you do not drive in/through a school zone (1000' from a K-12 school).

You can drive through a school zone as well, if the gun rack is the locking type and the long gun is locked into it. The federal GFSZ exemption is:

"(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;"

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones

tombinghamthegreat
11-09-2009, 9:34 AM

yes and you could have the shotgun in your lap too with 100 shells right next to you (for school zones either a locking container or locking gun rack)