PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" barrel flash hider installation

coop44
11-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I bought an 11.5" barrel and a 5.5 flash hider. I have pretty much resolved that I will have to "permanently affix" the FH. My thought is to grind a flat on the threaded portion of the barrel, drill a hole in the bottom of the FH, install the FH and align the hole with the flat. Insert a pin of some sort to rest on the flat, and tack it in place, below the surface of the FH, all of the weld should be in the hole. I have seen so many of these all goobered up I was just looking for a neater way.

Any suggestions?

Of course my lower will have a "fixed" magazine.

btw, any other comments about the 11.5 barrel? I know it won't be a 300 yard gun, but, I have others for that.

Gonna have some decent muzzle blast at twilight though, yee haw!

technique
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
11.5 will be fine at 300yrds

rct442
11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Read this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=141206

You should PM ar15barrels aka Randall here on the forum, he can take care of this for you for pretty cheap.

FYI... Constructive possession applies in your case because you have a 11.5" unpinned barrel & quite possibly the components needed to assemble a SBR.

coop44
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Read this:
FYI... Constructive possession applies in your case because you have a 11.5" unpinned barrel & quite possibly the components needed to assemble a SBR.

consider it done

coop44
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
BTW, if I have a 20" barrel and a hacksaw, is that considered "constructive possession"? Thank god they can't read minds (yet), or, they would find all sorts of little tidbits to lock me up on.

rct442
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
BTW, if I have a 20" barrel and a hacksaw, is that considered "constructive possession"? Thank god they can't read minds (yet), or, they would find all sorts of little tidbits to lock me up on.

Constructive possession would be possession of an AR + 11.5" barrel. You would therefore be in violation of the NFA.

Alternatively, if you had an AR pistol, then possession of a barrel under 16" would be legal.

This is why most people have their barrels & muzzle devices sent directly to Randall for pinning. Thus they are never in possession of a under 16" barrel & AR.