PDA

View Full Version : Does putting a muzzle brake or compensator on a mini 14 make it illegal in CA?

imported_EvolutionGSR
10-02-2005, 9:32 PM
Does putting a muzzle brake or compensator on a mini 14 make it illegal in CA? Some of these things look like flash hiders I was just wondering.

10-02-2005, 9:42 PM
No, as long as it says muzzle brake or compensator it's fine. If you are worried about it, you could always just get one that doesn't look like a flash hider.

bwiese
10-02-2005, 10:43 PM
The ultimate test is reduction of flash.

If these muzzle brakes existed btwn Sep 1994 and Sep 2004, they would have to offer no flash reduction so as to be legal, Federally, on so-called "postban" rifles. Many of these co's got ATF approval letters on their brakes.

If you can get a brake that has had an ATF approval letter and is unchanged in design since the ATF review of it - even though it is moot, federally (since the Fed AW Ban sunset in Sept 2004) - that would be a good measure to go by.

I'm sure there's some brakes out there that do actually reduce flash.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

saki302
10-03-2005, 1:02 AM
According to the text of SB23, a flash hider reduces flash from the firer's field of view.

If a brake diverts any of the gas upwards, INTO the firer's vision, it's not a flash hider according to our law.
Technically, if you turned an AR flash hider so one or more ports pointed straight up, it wouldn't be one with our law!

I would still avoid anything that says 'flash hider'. If it says 'brake' and looks like it diverts gas up (which an effecive brake would do) you're probably OK.

-Dave

artherdGROUPEESUCKS
10-03-2005, 4:14 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/sb23.htm
12276.1 (b) "flash suppressor" means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.

Technically, many brakes also do this... (So most of us are paper felons.)

To be ultra-safe, send your device to the CA DOJ Firearms Div. and have it inspected for a determination.

bg
10-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I have a JP Enterprises brake on mine. I got a
letter from them with ATF's blessing stating it
is a brake and not a flash hider. Still and all
I had to have it soldered and pinned to make it
permanent. I can guarantee you this thing DOES
NOT hide the flash. Just ask other shooters
at the range..Here's a pic.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/713502/1204867/54977209.jpg

bwiese
10-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by bg:
I have a JP Enterprises brake on mine. I got a
letter from them with ATF's blessing stating it
is a brake and not a flash hider.

I can guarantee you this thing DOES
NOT hide the flash. Just ask other shooters
at the range

Good. That's helpful.

Even though the 1994 Fed AW Ban that set these standards has disappeared, this would be a helpful reference document for CA should you ever have 'issues' since that will have credibility beyond the manufacturer. Ask JP if they've made any engineering changes to it since the BATF approval letter.

Still and all I had to have it soldered and pinned to make it permanent.

Yes, but that was only for the (now-expired) Federal ban. CA has nothing against threaded barrels for rifles (semiauto handguns are another issue). You will not have to pin/weld or silver solder - just screw it on top of peel washer(s) or crush washer.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bg
10-04-2005, 4:15 PM
Yes, but that was only for the (now-expired) Federal ban. CA has nothing against threaded barrels for rifles (semiauto handguns are another issue). You will not have to pin/weld or silver solder - just screw it on top of peel washer(s) or crush washer.
This was done back in 2000 I believe. JP told me
in order to be Cali legal, I'd have to have it
pinned and soldered. The barrel also had to
threaded to accept the brake. JP has made an
much cleaner looking brake since then.

If anyone is interested, I'll scan the document
that JP sent me regarding the brake, but it
will be dated. As far as the new brakes are
concerned, they are a BC Tactical style
http://www.jprifles.com/

bwiese
10-04-2005, 6:55 PM
BG..

Originally posted by bg:
[quote]This was done back in 2000 I believe. JP told me in order to be Cali legal, I'd have to have it pinned and soldered. The barrel also had to threaded to accept the brake. JP has made an
much cleaner looking brake since then.

If anyone is interested, I'll scan the document
that JP sent me regarding the brake, but it
will be dated. As far as the new brakes are
concerned, they are a BC Tactical style
http://www.jprifles.com/

Since this was back in 2000, you or JP Ent., or both, were correct about pinned/welded/etc - but for the entirely wrong reason.

This had NOTHING to do with California legality whatsoever (as all CA law bans is threaded bbls on handguns unless reg'd as AWs). The Federal Assault Wpns ban that existed from 9/13/1994 and expired 10 years later in Sept 2004 had banned threaded bbls capable of accepting a flash hider as an evil feature on Federally-defined AWs.

The only reason a flash hider or muzzle brake ever needs to be permanently pinned/welded (or silver soldered!) now is to increase length of a rifle barrel to the minimum 16" (which applies both to Fed and state law).

Bill Wiese
San Jose