PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Garands? might be trading my XD soon,

brianm767
11-08-2009, 8:24 AM
I've been kicking around the ideal of selling or trading my XD SUB Compact with XD light in .40, around 20-30 rd count (got to check my box of 50 to see how many are left, that's all I've shot it) , I just don't use it, and I think I may want to buy a CMP Garand or?

My questions is, what about the modern production Garands and their quality? my brother in law had one a couple of years back, it was beautiful, one of the most recent Springfield Armory production guns, I always drooled over it when ever I saw it, but recently he told me he had sold it, I was shocked, he said it was junk, it said he had cycling problems with it, and it was never reliable?? is this a common problem with modern Garands, or maybe just a ammo prob,(not sure what or how many types he tried) or as I suspect, his justification just to buy some thing else?? maybe his SOCOM II he picked up? yes I'm jealous.

Any reason to aviod one Garand over another? I would love to have a WWII or Korean era receiver just for the historical aspect, but a nice representation of what our troops used in these wars in good cond at a low price is probably my biggest concearn , and as we all know, low priced Garands are hard to come by, and CMP pickins are gettin slim.

paratroop
11-08-2009, 8:39 AM
cmp all the way. you wont be able to find a garand in as good condition for less money than the cmp. just jump through a couple of hoops, wait a little while, and it will ship right to your door. im waiting on a service grade right now. even rack grades are way better than what big 5 might sell on occasion. if i was in the states i would definitly take that xd off your hands too.

ChrisO
11-08-2009, 8:53 AM
Get a CMP garand, I am lucky I got a gift from my lady it was her stepfathers Garand it was a blue sky import "brought back from korea" I had it checked out and everything was original it was issued in 1942 just has a blue sky stamp on the barrel so they can re import it. It's in awesome shape and out shoots my buddies National Match garand it also has quite a few notches on the bottom side of the stock made with a pocket knife or something :p .

B Strong
11-08-2009, 8:57 AM
I've been kicking around the ideal of selling or trading my XD SUB Compact with XD light in .40, around 20-30 rd count (got to check my box of 50 to see how many are left, that's all I've shot it) , I just don't use it, and I think I may want to buy a CMP Garand or?

My questions is, what about the modern production Garands and their quality? my brother in law had one a couple of years back, it was beautiful, one of the most recent Springfield Armory production guns, I always drooled over it when ever I saw it, but recently he told me he had sold it, I was shocked, he said it was junk, it said he had cycling problems with it, and it was never reliable?? is this a common problem with modern Garands, or maybe just a ammo prob,(not sure what or how many types he tried) or as I suspect, his justification just to buy some thing else?? maybe his SOCOM II he picked up? yes I'm jealous.

Any reason to aviod one Garand over another? I would love to have a WWII or Korean era receiver just for the historical aspect, but a nice representation of what our troops used in these wars in good cond at a low price is probably my biggest concearn , and as we all know, low priced Garands are hard to come by, and CMP pickins are gettin slim.

As others noted, go with a CMP rifle or another original issue rifle over the newly manufactured tackle.

The thing is with Garands is that they were designed with only the use of full-power issue ammo, and stuff that doesn't have the same pressure curve won't operate the rifle reliably.

B Strong
11-08-2009, 9:11 AM
Get a CMP garand, I am lucky I got a gift from my lady it was her stepfathers Garand it was a blue sky import "brought back from korea" I had it checked out and everything was original it was issued in 1942 just has a blue sky stamp on the barrel so they can re import it. It's in awesome shape and out shoots my buddies National Match garand it also has quite a few notches on the bottom side of the stock made with a pocket knife or something :p .

Here's a little info on Blue Sky:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=106823

I had bunches of Blue Sky (BS for short...) M1's go through my hands in the 80's and they were real hit or miss pieces.

They could be had for as little as $250.00 for a builder, up to $400.00ish for a shooter grade rifle.

I rebarreled more than a few, and with a new tube and small parts replaced as required they were a hell of a rifle. Some of the ones that came through you could insert an 06 round into the muzzle up to the cartridge neck...

brianm767
11-08-2009, 9:36 AM
I just joined the CRPA,

Now I need to get some one to sign off my Marksmanship requirement, I wonder if they have a problem with the LEO signing me off having the same last name? my Father a retired CHP Capt, taught me to shoot when I was probably 6 years old, that was 40 years ago, and has been shooting with me every since, and my son, a Deputy Sheriff also shoots with me , if it's a problem, I'll have one of the other deputies sign me off.

ChrisO
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Here's a little info on Blue Sky:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=106823

I had bunches of Blue Sky (BS for short...) M1's go through my hands in the 80's and they were real hit or miss pieces.

They could be had for as little as $250.00 for a builder, up to $400.00ish for a shooter grade rifle.

I rebarreled more than a few, and with a new tube and small parts replaced as required they were a hell of a rifle. Some of the ones that came through you could insert an 06 round into the muzzle up to the cartridge neck...

I have already done all my research on it after I got it, Mine it a shooter and is in awesome condition just a dinged up stock thats about it.

ChrisO
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I know it's not a real collectors piece but the reciever I traced back to being issued in 1942 in a post THR, The thing is that it is a accurate reliable weapon that is SHTF ready :) and like I said it out shoots my buddies National Match garand and yes it's battle ship gray parked!!! let me see if I can find a pick... Heres about the only pic I have of it with some of my other guns http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/download-36.jpg...

30Cal
11-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I haven't been impressed by the SA Inc rifles I've seen, and I'm a big CMP fan.

Tom Luhman (TLC Gunworks) is in Clovis. He's real good with M1's and M14's.

ChrisO
11-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I plan on one day having mine re barreled for .308 I have less calibers to reload for.

X-NewYawker
11-08-2009, 1:06 PM
sell the XD and buy a CMP Garand. You will not be unhappy. And when all guns that can hold even 10 round mags are banned and rounded up, you will still have one of the greatest battle rifle on earth (as per Geo. Patton)

Ross
11-08-2009, 1:25 PM
I ordered a collector grade Springfield from CMP. What I received is a receiver from 1955 and a new CMP stock which shoots 1.5 groups @ 100 yds with surplus LC ammo.

The biggest mistakes I made were:

A. Not ordering one sooner.

B. Not ordering two.

C. Not ordering a lot of ammo.

ajaffe
11-08-2009, 3:17 PM
I just joined the CRPA,

Now I need to get some one to sign off my Marksmanship requirement, I wonder if they have a problem with the LEO signing me off having the same last name? my Father a retired CHP Capt, taught me to shoot when I was probably 6 years old, that was 40 years ago, and has been shooting with me every since, and my son, a Deputy Sheriff also shoots with me , if it's a problem, I'll have one of the other deputies sign me off.

You don't need one if you get a C&R License. Just the club and the C&R and the rifle can go to your doorstep.

brianm767
11-08-2009, 3:45 PM
You don't need one if you get a C&R License. Just the club and the C&R and the rifle can go to your doorstep.

Man Maybe I miss understood the CMP program, I didn't think you had to have a C&R to get it to your door through the CMP? I don't even see any where on their order forms where you would put your C&R or a receiving FFl's information?

I have a C&R application here, but I can get a letter signed in one day, it would take longer than that to get my C&R

Josh3239
11-08-2009, 4:12 PM
The C&R is to avoid part of the paperwork. 03 or not the rifle still goes to your door. Re-read the post.

brianm767
11-08-2009, 4:21 PM
The C&R is to avoid part of the paperwork. 03 or not the rifle still goes to your door. Re-read the post.

Yah I think it threw me when Ajaffe said
"You don't need one (the marksmanship form) if you get a C&R License. Just the club and the C&R and the rifle can go to your doorstep" to me that's implying if I did not have a C&R it couldn't go to the door,and obviously no need for the marskmanship form

But honestly, I don't see how it's reducing any paperwork for me to have to get a C&R and then send info to the Sheriffs dept etc, I'll just get a leo to fill out the required marksmanship form, I can have that in one day.

Josh3239
11-08-2009, 4:23 PM
I don't believe LE gets a say in the matter. They just need a copy for their knowledge. But yes, a signature is easier. Before I got my C&R I went to the range and asked the rangemaster to watch me shoot whenever and sign off on the form. He chuckled and signed it right then and there before I even checked in. I think a lot of poeple fake signatures too, it appears CMP doesn't check at all.

brianm767
11-08-2009, 4:24 PM
Oh and my son, just told me he wants to do the same thing, he also has a NIB never fired XD40 sub compact with XD light, and if we do sell them, if the buyer is LEO, my son also has extra 12RD mags.

brianm767
11-08-2009, 4:27 PM
I don't believe LE gets a say in the matter. They just need a copy for their knowledge. But yes, a signature is easier. Before I got my C&R I went to the range and asked the rangemaster to watch me shoot whenever and sign off on the form. He chuckled and signed it right then and there before I even checked in. I think a lot of poeple fake signatures too, it appears CMP doesn't check at all.

This is from the CMP sight as the last sentence for the Marksmanship requirement
"" Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf""

Funny, I taught my son to shoot when he was a small child, now he'll sign a form stating I know what I'm doing at the range.

I do plan on getting my C&R also, I'm just slow and lazy about those kind of things.

ajaffe
11-08-2009, 5:27 PM
My fault for the confusion. Yes the C&R removes the need for the marksmanship requirement. In both cases it still goes to your doorstep. It is also nice to have for yourself in case you stumble across anymore non-CMP deals.

brianm767
11-08-2009, 5:42 PM
My fault for the confusion. Yes the C&R removes the need for the marksmanship requirement. In both cases it still goes to your doorstep. It is also nice to have for yourself in case you stumble across anymore non-CMP deals.

Yes I had planned on getting one to order some K98's from Family Firearms & Finishes, we still need another K98 as well as a Lee Enfield, my son is really into WWII type rifles, why I started looking into Garands,

I would just buy a Garand from CMP out right without selling my XD, but man money is tight right now, with my recent job change and huge paycut that came with that change, and trying to put one more daughter through college and another daughter moving out and expecting my first grandson, and also, just my luck, both daughters came home last week and said they needed new windshields in thier cars!!

But I'm just thinking, when the CMP Garands are gone, the rest of them will go up in price, I can easily replace the XD, and maybe I'm wrong, but I only see Garands getting more expensive?

HkFan416
11-08-2009, 7:32 PM
Don't get rid of the XD, its one of those firearms you will regret selling especially since you didn't put that many rounds through it.

Milsurp Collector
11-08-2009, 9:46 PM
... low priced Garands are hard to come by, and CMP pickins are gettin slim.

Actually, CMP pickins are about to become very very good. The CMP recently got a shipment of Garands from from Greece that are in excellent condition, some were never issued. The CMP has been processing them and they will be available in the upcoming months.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0312.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0310.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0313.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/FreshfromtheboxX3.jpg

There have been some reports that the Greek-return Garands are starting to turn up http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1422

krushem2000
11-09-2009, 4:28 AM
ill take the xd if u decide to part with it.

popeye4
11-09-2009, 11:21 AM
The last couple of CMP Garands I've seen looked darned near unissued. Can't go wrong for $600......

BTW, it takes 3 to use the stacking swivel........

brianm767
11-09-2009, 2:37 PM
Don't get rid of the XD, its one of those firearms you will regret selling especially since you didn't put that many rounds through it.

I'm not sure about that, I do like the XD, but I also like the Karr guns, they make a CW40, much thinner than the XD, not Cali legal, but if my son orders one, and later decides to sell it to me after he's done playing with it, I can get one that way.

I used to just buy what ever I wanted, but I'm no longer in the same situation I used to be in, so now when it comes to guns or motorcycles, I just cant justify the money that I used to spend on them, at one time before the ban I had over 15K in assault rifles, but for now, if I want a Garand, the only way I can justify it to my self is to trade off some thing else for it, I just have more important priorities right now, maybe next month or year I'll see it differently.

campperrykid
11-09-2009, 2:37 PM
CMP all the way for almost anyone's first Garand -- especially right now:Actually, CMP pickins are about to become very very good. The CMP recently got a shipment of Garands from from Greece that are in excellent condition, some were never issued. The CMP has been processing them and they will be available in the upcoming months.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0312.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0310.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/IMG_0313.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/alrettke/GCA2009/FreshfromtheboxX3.jpg

There have been some reports that the Greek-return Garands are starting to turn up http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1422

Those pics are some solid rumour control.

I have been hearing , " CMP will run out soon " for over 9 years.
Like panic-stricken screams of , " We're all gonna die !! " , it's true.
But maybe not today -- maybe not for a lo-ong time.

Dig through the eligibilty info and figure out what will work the best and the fastest for your specific situation. CMP is actively " digging a new well" for more 30'06 ammo.

CCW's count for "Shooting activity ".

Pay scalpers what they deserve: Nothing.

brianm767
11-09-2009, 3:09 PM
ill take the xd if u decide to part with it.

Where are you located in case we do? I'm in the Fresno area with my XD, and my son is in Lodi with his XD,

Honestly though, I have no ideal what their worth, or what it would be worth for me to sell them?

They are both identical, XD40 Sub Compacts with the kits and the SA light, mine came with the light in the box, on my sons we added the light separately.

Scoutout
11-09-2009, 3:50 PM
Unless you get lucky at an estate sale you won't find a Garand for a better price than through CMP. The rifle you get from CMP will be good to go upon cleaning, if it's not you can trust them to make it right. If you want a new barrel and park get a special, otherwise pick up a service. Springfield is all they have in service grade right now, but IIRC they should have HRAs before long.

chuckdc
11-09-2009, 6:59 PM
I haven't been impressed by the SA Inc rifles I've seen, and I'm a big CMP fan.

Tom Luhman (TLC Gunworks) is in Clovis. He's real good with M1's and M14's.

+100 on Tom Luhmann. I brought my Arlington M1 (got it cheap) to him when it needed a new barrel. I can't say that he'd do it for anyone else, but it took him less than an hour to rebarrel it right in front of me. He had a H&R take-off barrel (from putting a Krieger on someone else's M1) that was all set to go, and just tried a couple bolts to get headspace and it was done. He probably knows as much or more about the M1/M14 platform as anyone else on Earth. Not just fixing them, either. He can shoot 'em, too.

krushem2000
11-11-2009, 4:38 AM
i'm north of you so aint far from me (2 to 2.5 hrs) and about 45 mins from Lodi hailing from Dixon.
from what I was told if you fire around 500 rnds then barrel would be considered broken into and you mentioned 30 rnds so its practically brand new. Let me look at blue book and see what it is and I'll send you private message. Maybe someone who reads the forum knows. I dont know either.
thanks

Where are you located in case we do? I'm in the Fresno area with my XD, and my son is in Lodi with his XD,

Honestly though, I have no ideal what their worth, or what it would be worth for me to sell them?

They are both identical, XD40 Sub Compacts with the kits and the SA light, mine came with the light in the box, on my sons we added the light separately.