PDA

View Full Version : Live grenade brought to LA gun exchange

madhatter
11-08-2009, 6:24 AM
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (CNS) -- A bomb squad had to be called out today when someone brought a live hand grenade to a "Gifts for Guns" exchange in Inglewood, a police lieutenant said.
Police had offered $100 gift cards for each weapon surrendered at the parking lot behind the Target and Home Depot stores at 3471 Century Blvd., but were not expecting the grenade, said Lt. Mike McBride.
The bomb squad disposed of the weapon.
Because police had promised "no questions asked," no one was arrested for possessing the explosive device.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7106529

bodger
11-08-2009, 6:29 AM
I wonder if they got their $100?

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:31 AM
HAHA...

That's funny, and I'd have paid good money to see the look on the officers face.

AJAX22
11-08-2009, 6:33 AM
I wonder if it was really live?

In theory a disingenuous person could buy complete dummy grenades for $12 each.... weld a plate on the bottom and TELL people it was live..

Of course you'd run afoul of some very serious state and federal laws in the process so it would be a very very bad idea to actually do it....

but I wonder if they checked the fuse/explosive content of it prior to disposal or if they just stuffed it in the bomb box with some C4 and called it a day.

How 'live' is 'live'?

bodger
11-08-2009, 7:51 AM
No arrest was made. No questions asked.

Why do I not believe the second sentence.

My guess is that there is a warrant being prepared to search the hell out of this person's home and vehicles to see what else they might have.
Claymores? Howitzer rounds nicely aged and volatile maybe.

professorhard
11-08-2009, 8:11 AM
Damn why would you wana give up your grenade? It sounds like a nice little grenade.

Desert_Rat
11-08-2009, 8:31 AM
^ this

Noobert
11-08-2009, 9:23 AM
Aren't police "promises" worth nothing?

Requiem
11-08-2009, 9:30 AM
I never would have given that up... stupid...

M198
11-08-2009, 9:33 AM
Aren't police "promises" worth nothing?

You mean how they tell you if you help them and tell them the truth they will help you out "later"? :rolleyes: I just shake my head in amazement at what people tell the cops when I'm watching COPS.

alain209
11-08-2009, 9:44 AM
what do you expect its inglewood!!!.

B Strong
11-08-2009, 9:47 AM
As the WWII and Korea generations pass on, you're going to see more of this, both exord and NFA weapons.

Lots of stuff was taken home as souvenirs, and has been sitting in the attic or basement for the last 50-60 years.

Linh
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
It wasn't a gun so I wonder if he got his $100.

I would say he must have been desperate due to the recession but we are out of the recession.

a1c
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd say it was good thinking on the part of the donor. $100 will buy you a whole case of Tannerite. ;)

JBird33
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM

I would say he must have been desperate due to the recession but we are out of the recession.

Since when? The unemployment rates are higher than ever as of this weekend.

Dwight K. Schrute
11-08-2009, 1:49 PM
Since when? The unemployment rates are higher than ever as of this weekend.

Sarcasm my main man.

Hayashi Killian
11-08-2009, 2:54 PM
but I wonder if they checked the fuse/explosive content of it prior to disposal or if they just stuffed it in the bomb box with some C4 and called it a day.
Nope, too dangerous. If it has a chance of being explosive they just nuke it and be done with it.

TomHynes
11-08-2009, 2:55 PM
I wonder if it was really live?

In theory a disingenuous person could buy complete dummy grenades for $12 each.... weld a plate on the bottom and TELL people it was live..

Of course you'd run afoul of some very serious state and federal laws in the process so it would be a very very bad idea to actually do it....

How 'live' is 'live'?

Bingo. What is the ratio of the dummy grenades in private hands to real grenades? About 10,000 to 1? Cop who finds grenade thinks: "If we call bomb squad now and it is a fake, we get on the news and nobody knows if it is fake. If I take a closer look at it and it is real, I get my head blown off".

SkatinJJ
11-08-2009, 3:13 PM
No arrest was made. No questions asked.

Why do I not believe the second sentence.

My guess is that there is a warrant being prepared to search the hell out of this person's home and vehicles to see what else they might have.
Claymores? Howitzer rounds nicely aged and volatile maybe.

Do you realize the loss of the city's credibility if there ARE questions asked? The word gets out about further investigations of weapons turned in during these events, and no criminal will turn in their gun.

They need their street cred to get re-elected AND to make sure that they can officially destroy the only evidence that can link a perp to a gun crime.

We're all so much safer with criminals like Villagarosa offering to cover-up criminal evidence through the guy-buy-backs.

professorhard
11-08-2009, 3:15 PM
Would have been sweet if the owner kept the pin and left the grenade.

Seesm
11-08-2009, 3:25 PM

heehhhahhaah yeah... NO...

Barney Gumble
11-08-2009, 3:29 PM

If you think killing LEOs is funny, you're not going to find any friends here.

B Strong
11-08-2009, 3:39 PM

No.

professorhard
11-08-2009, 3:44 PM
lol /sarcasm....

B Strong
11-08-2009, 3:54 PM
lol /sarcasm....

Last year I offered to take my friend's 16 yo son shooting, his first experience. I've known the father for 40 years. Close as a brother.

I asked the kid if there was anything in particular he wanted to shoot - AW's, big magnums, etc.

Kid told me "I'll shoot you and take your guns."

Kid won't be shooting with me.

Saracsm is one thing, jokes about violent death are another.

professorhard
11-08-2009, 4:03 PM
Article doesn't specify what type of grenade it was, I was assuming flash bang or smoke. Didn't know those caused violent death.

retired
11-08-2009, 5:04 PM
When I was working Lakewood station, some gardner came into the station lobby and placed a grenade on the front counter. Everyone on the front desk immediately removed themselves from the desk area, told him not to touch it as they did so and advised the W/sgt. He called Arson/Explosives.

Turns out he found the grenade under a picnic table at a customer's house and thought it would be a bright idea to drive to the station in his beat up old truck instead of calling the station.

I saw the deputies wrapping tape on it in the parking lot when I came to work. I thought to myself I'd hate to be the one who had to hold onto that until the bomb squad came.

Well, I was working the desk to an injury and I was also a brand new trainee at the station. Can anyone guess who was given the grenade to hold onto until the Bomb squad showed up.:D

Turns out it was a live grenade from the WWII era. It was taken out to a remote area and detonated.

Seesm
11-08-2009, 5:29 PM
Retired that just sounds like a good ole all american fun.... I bet you were sweating a fair bit... AND

"Originally Posted by professorhard
lol /sarcasm...."

Right only cuz you got called out on it...

We all at times say stupid SH*T... This is one of those times... Lots of LEO on here and this may strike a bad cord with them. I am juuust saying.

Barney Gumble
11-08-2009, 5:59 PM
It's not funny. It should strike a bad chord with you whether you're LEO or not.

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:10 PM
It happens in a cartoon or in a movie, it's funny...

Someone mentions it here and it's the end of the world.

When will people learn to take what's said with a grain of salt. It's the internet, nothing more. Learn to see the humor in life.

Plisk
11-08-2009, 6:20 PM
Didn't a grenade show up at a gun exchange in New York a few months ago too?

This also makes me wonder, how far would the 'no questions' policy go for what would get turned in. Like what if someone turned in a chunk of C4? Or a full-auto AW type rifle?

B Strong
11-08-2009, 6:25 PM

When will people learn to take what's said with a grain of salt. It's the internet, nothing more. Learn to see the humor in life.

That's stricly a matter of perspective and context.

Want some anti-gun dirtbag to post up a screen shot of Calguns as an example of dirtbag gun owners supporting the killing of police officers?

Afterburnt
11-08-2009, 6:27 PM
Last year I offered to take my friend's 16 yo son shooting, his first experience. I've known the father for 40 years. Close as a brother.

I asked the kid if there was anything in particular he wanted to shoot - AW's, big magnums, etc.

Saracsm is one thing, jokes about violent death are another.

No, you didnt! Did ya?

Fire in the Hole
11-08-2009, 6:27 PM
It happens more often than we realize. Most of the old WWII vets are dieing off now. The widow goes through hubby's footlocker and finds some "war trophies". She just bundles them up and delivers them to the LE station thinking nothing of it. Up here in the hills, dynomite could be bought over the counter at hardware and lumber stores until the early 60's. There's a bunch of it in garages, that people have stockpiled.

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:29 PM
That's stricly a matter of perspective and context.

Want some anti-gun dirtbag to post up a screen shot of Calguns as an example of dirtbag gun owners supporting the killing of police officers?

So lets all post a disclaimer with our threads so no one ever can use it out of context or gets offended. Seriously, stuff happens, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Gryff
11-08-2009, 8:28 PM
I wonder if they got their $100?

Not if Don Perata set it up.

Kestryll
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM

There is absolutely NOTHING funny about joking about killing people, online or otherwise.

locosway
11-08-2009, 11:12 PM
There is absolutely NOTHING funny about joking about killing people, online or otherwise.

Like I said, it's all about context. No one was saying it was funny to kill anyone. However, if you can't see the humor in the original comment then I don't know... Maybe everyone needs to chill out a little more... They even sell hand grenade "number tickets" where you take a number to file a complaint.

audihenry
11-08-2009, 11:26 PM

You sound like a barrel of laughs. :rolleyes:

B Strong
11-09-2009, 5:23 AM
No, you didnt! Did ya?

Called the Father over, repeated the coversation, kid said he was "just joking" Father reamed kid.

Father explained that when it comes to firearms and everything about them, "jokes" like that aren't appreciated or approved of.

I'll wait a couple of years, if the kid gets his act together and stays that way, maybe I'll take him out to the range.

There are more than enough young people that have some idea of the seriousness of the matter at hand and have a good healthy attitude towards shooting that I'd rather work with and instruct.

snobord99
11-09-2009, 2:09 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't see where someone getting killed comes into the statement "would have been sweet if the owner kept the pin and left the grenade?" I see no mention of someone getting killed. Or is this a magical grenade that will kill people just because the pin isn't in it like the magical assault weapon that will kill people because someone owns it?

Noobert
11-09-2009, 2:11 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see where someone getting killed comes into the statement "would have been sweet if the owner kept the pin and left the grenade?" I see no mention of someone getting killed. Or is this a magical grenade that will kill people just because the pin isn't in it like the magical assault weapon that will kill people because someone owns it?

Its like when someone threw that "bandaged" grenade at Bush, didn't go off but scared everyone ----less

Turbinator
11-09-2009, 8:55 PM
You sound like a barrel of laughs. :rolleyes:

HuH?

If *anyone* "joked" about shooting me and taking my gun(s), the first thought that comes into MY mind is - PROACTIVE self defense. I'd get the heck away from that fool and never want to see him / her again. If I did see him / her again, you can bet I'd be either on edge ready to strike first, or instantly be pissed off, or both.

That's one thing I won't do, is joke about hurting or killing someone else. Murder is not funny.

Turby

B Strong
11-10-2009, 5:07 AM
HuH?

If *anyone* "joked" about shooting me and taking my gun(s), the first thought that comes into MY mind is - PROACTIVE self defense. I'd get the heck away from that fool and never want to see him / her again. If I did see him / her again, you can bet I'd be either on edge ready to strike first, or instantly be pissed off, or both.

That's one thing I won't do, is joke about hurting or killing someone else. Murder is not funny.

Turby

I was - I took into account the age and maturity of the speaker, and moderated my response accordingly.

Stormfeather
11-10-2009, 6:15 AM

WTF???

B Strong
11-10-2009, 6:28 AM

Ask Max Cleland.

snobord99
11-10-2009, 7:11 AM
Ask Max Cleland.

Ask him what? That because the pin fell out of the grenade that maimed him, does the statement "would have been sweet if the owner kept the pin and left the grenade" automatically mean that someone's getting maimed or killed?

B Strong
11-10-2009, 7:15 AM
Ask him what? That because the pin fell out of the grenade that maimed him, does the statement "would have been sweet if the owner kept the pin and left the grenade" automatically mean that someone's getting maimed or killed?

There are folks that know about explosive ordnance, and those that don't.

Folks that don't, might find the comment amusing.

I do not.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
11-10-2009, 3:34 PM
Or is this a magical grenade that will kill people just because the pin isn't in it like the magical assault weapon that will kill people because someone owns it?

What do you think is going to happen when the pin is pulled? Is there duct tape wrapped around the spoon holding it on that wasn't mentioned in the original quip? This is not far off of "is this a magical gun that will kill people when it's pointed at somebody and the trigger is pulled."

snobord99
11-10-2009, 6:13 PM
What do you think is going to happen when the pin is pulled? Is there duct tape wrapped around the spoon holding it on that wasn't mentioned in the original quip? This is not far off of "is this a magical gun that will kill people when it's pointed at somebody and the trigger is pulled."

I don't see which part of that statement is analogous to a gun being pointed at someone. I agree about the trigger being pulled part, but I disagree about the pointed at someone part. Yes, you could infer that if you wanted to, but I generally don't blame people for an inference that I made when the inference was not necessary to the statement. But hey, that's just me.

supersonic
11-10-2009, 6:29 PM
I never would have given that up... stupid...

Hell NO!! ^^ That would have made the ULTIMATE "SHTF insurance."