PDA

View Full Version : 19 YO buying a OLL question.

Carnivore
11-08-2009, 2:51 AM
I did a search an couldn't find much info. My nephew is wanting to build an AR but wanted to pick up a OLlower an build from there. From my understanding he can't because DROS will list it as just a lower which I.E. he could build to a pistol that he can't have at 19.

If the above in part or whole is true, can I buy an extra when I purchase mine then PPT to him? Not looking to circumvent any laws just want to help him out if possible. He is not a felon or would be denied he just picked up a different rifle no problem.

The obvious answer is to buy a complete rifle I know but he doesn't have the total cash an wanted to learn something along the way. Other wise he will just wait for a few years an buy one later. Hopefully by that time all this "evil feature" AW nonsense will be over too. Thanks for any info I do appreciate it.

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:49 AM
The lower is considered a rifle and not a pistol unless specifically built into a pistol. He should not have any issues purchasing an OLL.

Quiet
11-08-2009, 7:15 AM
A stripped AR lower is an "other" firearm.

Federal laws states you need to be 21 or older to purchase/transfer a non-rifle/shotgun from a FFL dealer.

Therefore, the nephew must be 21 years or older in order to be able to recieve a stripped AR lower from a FFL dealer.

Federal 4473 = handgun, long gun or other (need to be 21+ years old to be able to recieve a handgun and other)
CA DROS = handgun or long gun

Since, CA DROS does not account for "other" and there are no AR pistols on the approved list, a stripped AR lower is DROS'd as a long gun.

locosway
11-08-2009, 7:16 AM
A stripped AR lower is an "other" firearm.

Federal laws states you need to be 21 or older to purchase/transfer a non-rifle/shotgun from a FFL dealer.

Therefore, the nephew must be 21 years or older in order to be able to recieve a stripped AR lower from a FFL dealer.

That's correct as I just read it...

Odd since I didn't need to show a HSC or anything...

Builder
11-08-2009, 9:56 AM
If he chooses to purchase the same Off-list AR as a complete rifle, then he can legally aquire it as an 19 yo.
Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

The purchase, sale, possession and transportation of firearms in the United States are regulated by tens of thousands of federal and state laws and local ordinances. Many of these regulations impose greater restrictions upon persons below certain ages, with age cut-offs ranging from as high as 21 years of age to as young as 12.

Most federal laws regulating firearms are included in Title 18 of the U.S. Code -- the Gun Control Act (GCA, 1968) as amended by various subsequent laws, including the Firearms Owners` Protection Act (1986), the Youth Handgun Safety Act (1994), the Gun-Free School Zones Act (1996) and other laws. Details on federal firearm laws are available from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. (www.atf.treas.gov)

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)
Its his choice, wait until 21 to purchase the OLL and then build it into an AR or purchase it as a complete AR rifle.
Builder

Flogger23m
11-08-2009, 10:00 AM
If the AR lower is complete, with a stock installed, then it will be sold as a rifle. Which means an 18 year old can get it.

Or buy a complete rifle. These are your two options if you want to get an AR-15 under 21.

I went with the complete lower route.

I did this a little over a month ago, and I am 19.

wksun88
11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I remember when I bought my AR lower as a 19 year old and it was fine.. That was 2 years ago though at the del mar gun show

mossy
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
If the AR lower is complete, with a stock installed, then it will be sold as a rifle. Which means an 18 year old can get it.

Or buy a complete rifle. These are your two options if you want to get an AR-15 under 21.

I went with the complete lower route.

I did this a little over a month ago, and I am 19.

you have to find a real friendly ffl to do this, my usual goto oll ffl would not do this for my friend.

Quiet
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I remember when I bought my AR lower as a 19 year old and it was fine.. That was 2 years ago though at the del mar gun show

The current 4473 form came out around November of 2008.

(current) 4473 = handgun, long gun or other
(older) 4473 = handgun, long gun or both
CA DROS = handgun or long gun

With the older 4473 form, stripped AR lowers (that were not marked as pistols) were being transfered as long guns.
The new 4473 form, corrected this. Since, a stripped AR lower is not a long gun.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-08-2009, 12:42 PM
That's correct as I just read it...

Odd since I didn't need to show a HSC or anything...

You don't have to show an HSC because stripped OLL's are not sold by FFL's as handguns in California, they are sold as long guns. But it is against Federal law for an FFL to transfer a long gun to somebody under the age of 21, unless the long gun is a rifle or shotgun.

Carnivore
11-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Hum so from what I am reading I could PPT to him one that would then be DROS'd as a rifle in California. One other thing I just thought of I could just buy it an help him build it. Once it is complete (given he is still under 21) then just PPT it to him then.

Flogger23m
11-08-2009, 1:20 PM
Hum so from what I am reading I could PPT to him one that would then be DROS'd as a rifle in California. One other thing I just thought of I could just buy it an help him build it. Once it is complete (given he is still under 21) then just PPT it to him then.

Don't think you can PPT a stripped lower either.

Anyways, you'd have to have an extra $35 PPT free, and a gunlock fee if he lacks a safe if you want to transfer it to him after he builds it. A waste of $40-45 IMO.

Just buy a complete lower. The $40-45 you save can cover some of the cost.

I bought a complete lower for $240 recently off of another Calgunner. $240 lower + $35 PPT + $9 gun lock = $ 284 out the door.

Just tell him to save up an extra $150 or so and get it complete. This way you don't have to go through two 10 day waiting periods.

If you are in the Bay Area, head to J&R Sports Supply in Livermore. They did mine, and know the laws.

If he must build it himself, have him buy a complete lower, then strip it and rebuild it.

Quiet
11-08-2009, 2:49 PM
A person under the age of 21 can not PPT a stripped reciever, because a FFL can not transfer it to a person under 21 years of age (Federal law).

Carnivore
11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
A person under the age of 21 can not PPT a stripped reciever, because a FFL can not transfer it to a person under 21 years of age (Federal law).

That's what I needed, thank you. Thanks to every one for the info too I will pass it along.