PDA

View Full Version : Can this AR-15 have a detachable magazine?

Wallabing
11-08-2009, 1:11 AM
I want to install a custom AR-15 barrel that has no gas port on my ar-15 upper, therefore it is not semi automatic rifle, it's single shot only (You have to work the bolt each time to shoot)

Can this rifle have a detachable magazine?

five.five-six
11-08-2009, 1:13 AM
you could even put a bayonet lug on it

jamesob
11-08-2009, 11:18 AM
there was a fal made like that.

cr250chevy
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
you could even put a bayonet lug on it
:D- good one...

technique
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
yes..

bwiese
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
No gas port? OK, that's a start toward non-semiautomatic status...

But 9mm or pistol-caliber carbines don't have gas ports end are recoil operated/nonlocking, so you have to be concscious of that as well.

So the bottom line is whether it's semiauto or not. If it can't cycle another round after firing a prior round, you're golden.

Non-Semiauto status should also be attained by demonstrable 'intention' of nonsemiauto status, and not just a failing bad/broken/defective rifle that has all parts capable of semiauto operation on it.

On a rifle-caliber rifle, no gas port and gas tube - or a gas port blocked with a ~1/2" stub of gas tube installed upside down - indicates intention to not have semiauto status.

On things like a FAL clone do not just rely on the grenade launcher gas valve to be in the grenade launcher position shutting down gas flow. That's a semiauto rifle that's just been shut down. Removal of the gas piston AND shutting off the gas valve clearly shows it's a nonsemiauto rifle.

On a pistol-caliber carbine running on blowback, unless you could make a bolt carrier out of lead or tungsten and it wouldn't cycle AT ALL, you're still in semiauto territory. My feeling is that any blowback pistol caliber carbines should never be regarded as nonsemiauto to get 'features' installed.