PDA

View Full Version : Preban Magazines and new AK-47

iamphatboy
11-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I went out and purchased a few new guns the other day, one of which was an AK-47 With detachable 10 round magazine and no Pistol Grip. The salesman told me to just buy a Monsterman grip and that would be a sufficient legal alternative. He also made me aware that if I currently owned any "Preban" 30 round Magazines or somehow aquired them that It would be perfectly legal to posses, own, and use in my new AK-47. Are these facts valid? Would I be treading in possible deep water? I'd rather be safe than sorry, and do not need any type potential problems with the law..

Thanks in advance!

dantodd
11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
if your weapon is featureless you can use large-capacity magazines that YOU owned before 2000. You cannot "somehow acquire" them. Be sure to review the OLL flowchart to ensure that you do not have any AW features on your weapon when you are using large-capacity magazines.

Also, using large-capacity magazines with a magazine-locking device at any time creates an assault weapon in California.

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:53 AM
You cannot "somehow acquire" them.

Actually, the law reads that you CAN just "somehow" acquire them. If you were to just find a bag of magazines some where then you've just "somehow" acquired new magazines. The provisions set forth in the law which regulate how one can not obtain new full capacity magazines says nothing on "somehow acquiring". Now, obviously manufacturing or importing is not "somehow acquiring".

AJAX22
11-08-2009, 7:26 AM
You can also purchase them from an armored car company, and (some people believe) from a properly licensed FFL.

AndrewMendez
11-08-2009, 9:24 AM
If you have a featureless build, then you can use preban mags or acquired mags post ban. You can not import, sell, lend, trade or manufacture new 11+ mags. If you install a Bullet button, then you are limited to the 10 round rule. Also with that rule, if you have preban mags, and your friend wants to borrow them at the range, you must be right there with him. You can not let him borrow it for the day! If you have old preban mags that no longer work, you can legally buy a rebuild kit, to replace them, and it would not be considered manufacturing.

Rob454
11-08-2009, 4:24 PM
You cannot acquire them. you had to of OWNED them prior to the 2000 ban. If you go get part kits and BUILD another NEW mag then you're in violation of the law. IF you use the rebuild kit to rebuild EXISTING mags YOU OWNED prior to the ban then that is legal.

Librarian
11-08-2009, 4:36 PM
... because large-capacity magazines are not banned - perfectly legal to own, possess and use.

It's transfer or manufacture of large-capacity magazines, not to/for LEO, that is prohibited.

Down with "preban"!

locosway
11-08-2009, 5:16 PM
You cannot acquire them. you had to of OWNED them prior to the 2000 ban. If you go get part kits and BUILD another NEW mag then you're in violation of the law. IF you use the rebuild kit to rebuild EXISTING mags YOU OWNED prior to the ban then that is legal.

You CAN acquire them, however it must be legal... i.e. finding a sack of magazines out in the desert at your favorite shooting spot. The law says nothing about acquiring so long as you do NOT do one of the prohibited actions such as import, buy, sell, manufacture.

Decoligny
11-09-2009, 7:17 AM

As noted above, there are certain instances where you indeed CAN acquire them.

Specific Example: You are at the range, and look in the wastebacket. You notice a broken pre-ban >10 round magazine that someone threw away. You take it out of the trash and repair it. It is now yours LEGALLY.

joelberg
11-09-2009, 7:26 AM
As noted above, there are certain instances where you indeed CAN acquire them.

Specific Example: You are at the range, and look in the wastebacket. You notice a broken pre-ban >10 round magazine that someone threw away. You take it out of the trash and repair it. It is now yours LEGALLY.

I just want to hear this confirmed by the legal eagles.

Glock22Fan
11-09-2009, 7:51 AM
I just want to hear this confirmed by the legal eagles.

This has been discussed and confirmed ad nauseum in these pages. We don't need to rehash it all again, and neither do you if you do some searches.