PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Magazines

Trendkill
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I have an over abundance of 30's and not enough tens.....might as well make some mags I can actually use here in CA....but I want to do it right.

Is using a rivet to prevent the follower from accepting more than ten rounds enough...???

...or...

Must I epoxy the rivet...rivet the floor plate etc etc..??? I dont want to jack up a perfectly good 30rnd mag body all to hell if necessary. Then again...I dont wanna go to jail either.

deldgeetar
11-07-2009, 10:36 AM
You can use your 30s in CA with no problems as long as you possessed them before the time of the ban. Just make sure it is in a rifle with no "evil" features. There is no reason to destroy legally acquired high capacity magazines. Get some 10/30s if you have a bullet button equipped rifle.

Trendkill
11-07-2009, 11:20 AM
You can use your 30s in CA with no problems as long as you possessed them before the time of the ban. Just make sure it is in a rifle with no "evil" features. There is no reason to destroy legally acquired high capacity magazines. Get some 10/30s if you have a bullet button equipped rifle.

I want to keep my evil-ness.....and I've had my 30's for quite some time...some rebuilt...some not.

I'm just curious as to what an acceptable setup is for a 10/30.....

I've seen different methods...and want to cover my arse without messin them up too bad.

bwiese
11-07-2009, 5:41 PM
Dude, don't waste 30s.

God kills a kitten everytime a hicap magazine is destroyed, or an AW is deregistered.

So go buy some 10s.

Conversion to locap status must be 'permanent'. While not defined, this means to me (and likely anyone involved in the legal world) that the mag damn well oughta be difficult if not impossible to recover the high capacity status again - i.e, mag would be damanged.

To me anything reversible or a simple blocked follower or pop rivet doesn't smell good. Epoxied in block at base of magazine is likely OK.

Caution must be used here - esp on fixed-mag builds, because you're dealing with more than just the mag issue itself, but an AW issue. If the magazine were not permanently restricted well enough to 10rds and was recovered, there's a chance that this could possibly inadvertently trigger AW status in the rifle to which the "converted-but-not-quite" mag is used.

Trendkill
11-07-2009, 5:48 PM
Its just two of em....no biggie.

So far I just have the rivet in there.....maybe I should do the block thing in there too just to be safe. Im bringin the OLL's to the show tomorrow and I dont want to show a "Bad" example of what we are about.

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:56 AM
10/20 Pmags are cheap, there's no reason to not buy them...

lumwilliam
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
So if you own some pre ban 30 round mags, then want to go out and buy a black OLL rifle with all the "evil features", you can't own both at the same time? Even if I've got a bullet button to make the rifle complaint? Do I have to trash my mags?

locosway
11-08-2009, 1:13 PM
So if you own some pre ban 30 round mags, then want to go out and buy a black OLL rifle with all the "evil features", you can't own both at the same time? Even if I've got a bullet button to make the rifle complaint? Do I have to trash my mags?

You can own the mags, you just can't use any magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds on a rifle that uses a bullet button. This is because the magazine is supposed to be fixed and part of the firearm, which means there was no pre-ban rifles with fixed magazines over 10 rounds. And if there was, they would be registered as RAW's.

pepsi2451
11-08-2009, 1:23 PM

You can keep them, you just can't use them in a fixed mag rifle.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches

bigcalidave
11-08-2009, 1:58 PM
Dude, don't waste 30s.

God kills a kitten everytime a hicap magazine is destroyed, or an AW is deregistered.

Wonderful!

lumwilliam
11-28-2009, 2:18 PM
You can own the mags, you just can't use any magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds on a rifle that uses a bullet button. This is because the magazine is supposed to be fixed and part of the firearm, which means there was no pre-ban rifles with fixed magazines over 10 rounds. And if there was, they would be registered as RAW's.

Wait a minute - I can keep the mags, but not use them??? Isn't the point of the law supposed to be that if I go haywire or "self radicalize", I would be prevented from committing mass murder? If I'm so far over the edge that I'm ready to go ft. hood on a bunch of innocents, I don't think keeping my AR and my hi cap mag apart will be much of a concern. Another stupid law.

locosway
11-28-2009, 2:21 PM
Wait a minute - I can keep the mags, but not use them??? Isn't the point of the law supposed to be that if I go haywire or "self radicalize", I would be prevented from committing mass murder? If I'm so far over the edge that I'm ready to go ft. hood on a bunch of innocents, I don't think keeping my AR and my hi cap mag apart will be much of a concern. Another stupid law.

Yes, it's another stupid law. You can even use the 30 rounds mags in a featureless rifle. The law really is setup to where you can't obtain any mags over 10 rounds unless you discover a cache of mags in your garage that you forgot you bought pre-ban. However, without serial numbers and the such, it's a useless law, and is really more targeted at importers and manufactures/sellers.

AndrewMendez
11-28-2009, 4:15 PM
DONT 10/30 your mags!! Go buy new ones for ten bucks, or go for a featureless build!!!! I only have two pre ban mags that I got when I was a teenager, I could never ever think of harming my babies!!!

Seesm
11-28-2009, 6:18 PM
Ahhh what a law... CG's is going to fix it so we can run std cap mags and a std mag release button soon right?

IrishPirate
11-28-2009, 6:22 PM
do the rivet thing and pop a few wooden dowls in there too for good measure if you're worried. The rivets should be fine though. *sigh* poor hi-caps!!! :(

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2009, 6:34 PM
Dude, don't waste 30s.

So go buy some 10s.

Conversion to locap status must be 'permanent'. While not defined, this means to me (and likely anyone involved in the legal world) that the mag damn well oughta be difficult if not impossible to recover the high capacity status again - i.e, mag would be damanged.

To me anything reversible or a simple blocked follower or pop rivet doesn't smell good. Epoxied in block at base of magazine is likely OK.

Caution must be used here - esp on fixed-mag builds, because you're dealing with more than just the mag issue itself, but an AW issue. If the magazine were not permanently restricted well enough to 10rds and was recovered, there's a chance that this could possibly inadvertently trigger AW status in the rifle to which the "converted-but-not-quite" mag is used.

I understand the whole importation, manufacturing thing needs to be permanent if you are building a new mag. However, if you are converting a legally owned +10 round mag into a 10 or less round mag, I don't know of a law which say that it must be a permanent conversion. Also, where in the AW laws does it say that a mag must be permantently altered to accept no more than 10 rounds?

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

It just says "capacity" not "permanent capacity". Could it be that a rivet or even just a block would satisfy this law?

I am only talking about legally owned +10 round mags and not parts kits. Please correct me if I am wrong and cite PC so that I will quit brainstorming about this.

Jeff213
11-28-2009, 7:17 PM
Yes, it's another stupid law. You can even use the 30 rounds mags in a featureless rifle. The law really is setup to where you can't obtain any mags over 10 rounds unless you discover a cache of mags in your garage that you forgot you bought pre-ban. However, without serial numbers and the such, it's a useless law, and is really more targeted at importers and manufactures/sellers.

I am only 24... so it prevents me from owning hi-cap mags period :mad:

locosway
11-28-2009, 7:39 PM

That's not true, anyone in your family could have gifted them to you at any time prior to the ban.

I'm 28 and had a 30 round magazine for my SKS before the ban. I think I even bought it myself at Turners.

timdps
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm 28 and had a 30 round magazine for my SKS before the ban. I think I even bought it myself at Turners.

IIRC, an SKS with a detachable magazine is an AW, as in its a listed rifle on the banned AW list. Effectively no such thing as a "preban" SKS detachable magazine, since putting it on the SKS automatically makes it a listed assault weapon.

Tim

locosway
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
IIRC, an SKS with a detachable magazine is an AW, as in its a listed rifle on the banned AW list. Effectively no such thing as a "preban" SKS detachable magazine, since putting it on the SKS automatically makes it a listed assault weapon.

Tim

I don't think it was sold as detachable, but there was no system to keep it from being detached. No one knew about the AW laws back then in my family and I was 14-15 when I was shooting my SKS.

It may have not been legal at the time to assemble onto the rifle, but the magazines were for sale and I did buy one, which was my point. This was back in the mid 1990's.

Gio
11-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Just buy 2 metal mag rebuild kits if you like the usgi look and rebuild them into legal 10/20 or 10/30 mags. Even if you have 100 pre-ban mags it is easier to obtain re-build kits and they are cheap. I would get a block of some sorts, drill a small hole for a rivet and epoxy it before riveting it. Or spare 2 of your pre-bans and be done with it, as simple as pie ;)

-Gio

cdtx2001
11-29-2009, 7:40 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Go out and buy 10 rounders.

I just got some great plastic 10's from Brownells for my OLL and they work great.

Not only is a kitten killed whenever a 30rnd mag destroyed, but that kitten is skinned and BBQd.

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM

If you did not get any before 2000, you're right. If you owned them before 1-1-2000, you can still own them. It wasn't illegal to own magazines if you were 1 day old on 1-1-2000. You or your parents could have planned ahead and stocked YOU up before the ban.

Tim

You are thinking of SKSes which were converted to accept detachable mags. All SKS type weapons which are not marked "SKS" are not teqnically SKSes and can still use detachable mags. Even though it might not have been acceptable to have such a firearm set up to use duckbill mags in before 2000, there was NEVER any law banning possession of such mags before the ban. So, it was perfectly legal to own any detachable SKS mags in Ca before 1-1-2000. Therefore, it is perfectly legal to still own them. I have some "preban" (as you call it) detachable SKS mags and would not be admitting that if I thought that there was any way that they could be illegal to own. I don't use them because, I like the 10 round fixed OEM mags better.